Standard Military Date/Time Format? -

International Military Forums > >
User Name
Password

December 31st, 2010   #1
darpa999

Standard Military Date/Time Format? info

Hi Folks,

What would be the standard military date/time format used in combat and in military aviation?

Would it be something like this below?

DDHHMMZ DEC 10

Thanks in advance!

--
January 1st, 2011   #2
Yin717

Quote:
Originally Posted by darpa999
Hi Folks,

What would be the standard military date/time format used in combat and in military aviation?

Would it be something like this below?

DDHHMMZ DEC 10

Thanks in advance!
I believe the standard military time is usually the 24 hour clock, so you would say 0600 for 6am and 1800 for 6pm.

Date is alot trickier for me. Simply because of this, in America you do the month before the date and in Britain we do the date before the month. (This can get really confusing for me sometimes). As far as I know the British military still put the date before the month so I don't think there is a standard date format used by the military. Though I may be incorrect.

Thanks
Yin717

January 1st, 2011   #3
darpa999

I dont know myself, but I do know the time formats. That is no issue for me.

But I thought this was the Standard date and time format below.

DDHHMMZ JAN 11

January 1st, 2011   #4
Seehund

In military messages and communications (e.g. on maps showing troop movements) the format is DDHHMMZ YY, so for instance, "011545Z JAN 11" represents 15:45 Zulu time on Saturday the 1th of January, 2011

January 1st, 2011   #5
darpa999

011815Z JAN 11

And would there be a space between the time and the month and space between the month and the year like shown above?

Thanks.

January 1st, 2011   #6
c/Commander

DARPA: yes, that format is correct with the space. Pain in the butt, isn't it?

Lieutenant Junior Grade, USN

January 1st, 2011   #7
darpa999

Thanks!!!!

No, actually its not a pain in the butt. I wish they used this format in normal civilian duties as well.

As a matter of fact, I WILL NOT purchase a clock or a watch that has no 24 hour format....JUST WONT....

Now, is the format (as we discussed) is also used in military aviation such as the US Air Force as well, or only in combat related messages or documents?

January 1st, 2011   #8
c/Commander

24-hour is easy; it's making people understand the date format that's trickier.

When you say military aviation, do you mean radio communications, briefings, or what exactly?

January 1st, 2011   #9
darpa999

Yes, I mean in flight plans and for Estimated Time of Arrivals to a specific waypoint.

But for combat mission information, you use the other format which would be DDHHMMZ JAN 11. Am I correct?

January 3rd, 2011   #10
c/Commander

I won't speak to combat mission information. But even for lots of publicly-released documents, we use that format. Example here (NAVADMIN 191/08). It's common in message traffic for all services.

Tags
date/time, ddhhmmz, format, military, standard