Sniper math and stuff.

There are formulas for getting the right dope on your system.

First is your Zero, for whatever range, from there you adjust based on many varibles.

Climate effects not only the rounds flight path, but it's velocity rise and fall etc.

The bullet wieght effects it's flight and trajectory. The powder effects many things and the climate effects the powder.

The distance is effects other things.

The question you are asking is not an easy one...Just sayin.

(buttering up) That's why I asked you guys, coz you guys can tell me facts rather than babble (/buttering up)

In all seriousness, I begin to realize just how difficult to calculate it is.

So let me seperate it into three questions.

1. what is the usual or encouraged engagement range for combat marksmen/snipers working by themselves?

2. at what range, for the average sniper, does 'one shot, one kill' go out the window in perfect weather conditions, with no return fire to worry about and so forth?

3. What are the different caliber rifles used for e.g. anti-personnel, anti-materiel and so on?

(buttering up) In all seriousness, I begin to realize just how difficult to calculate it is.

1. what is the usual or encouraged engagement range for combat marksmen/snipers working by themselves?

2. at what range, for the average sniper, does 'one shot, one kill' go out the window in perfect weather conditions, with no return fire to worry about and so forth?

3. What are the different caliber rifles used for e.g. anti-personnel, anti-materiel and so on?

First of, the men you are speaking of uses the firearm equivalent of your compound bow or what you decide to call it.
As for your three part question.

1. A sniper/spotter team work at a variety of ranges. Where you find cover and concealment counts.
Any sniper team with a 7,62 platform could and should be effective out to ranges of atleast 1000 meters. (depending on training and so on and forth)

2. Without returnfire to worry about you get as close as possible to ensure your kill?
Range, see above. (7,62 system)
Some countries train their S/S teams that optimum shots are at 800 meters.

3. 7,62 is the most common caliber for anti personel.
.50 to reach out and touch someone. (or for kit.)

There are just no clearcut answers for what you are asking.
You use what you need/what you got.
There is much more to target interdiction them just shooting from a long way away.

//KJ.

(buttering up) That's why I asked you guys, coz you guys can tell me facts rather than babble (/buttering up)

In all seriousness, I begin to realize just how difficult to calculate it is.

Depends on the Standard to which they are held, ROE's, etc.

No return fire? See KJ'S post.

Depends on service.

KJ already answered but I'm really really bored and needed to do something. To reinterate, everything is different with every service and with every sniper system, calber, type round etc.

And something I see you guys missed- experience. All the math in the world ain't worth a hoot if you don't have experience with long range shots.

And something I see you guys missed- experience. All the math in the world ain't worth a hoot if you don't have experience with long range shots.
Actually, experience demonstrates the ability to solve all the math and variables to hit the target.:wink:

And since the topic was the math and stuff we addressed the topic.

Any good rifleman can be trained to make long ranged shots...provided he can quickly and accurately formulate the math to adjust and plan the shot.

Kentucky windage is an iffy thing when it counts, the proven formulas on a proven platform aren't near as iffy.

True, but it also depends on the gun. When you're using a rifle that can pick off a target at a mile and a quarter, it's a bit different than using a .30-06 on a target at 400 meters.

True, but it also depends on the gun. When you're using a rifle that can pick off a target at a mile and a quarter, it's a bit different than using a .30-06 on a target at 400 meters.
Actually it is not. All the variables that have to be accounted for are present no matter what the range. The ability to account for these variables is what determines the effectiveness of a given operator.

This holds true all the way up through artillery, like 16" guns.:wink:

Once a projectile leaves the barrel it is subject to the same variables no matter it size. Because of it size and speed the varibles may have more or less influence, but they have to be accounted for.

A guy who has learned marksmanship correctly for two weeks can outshoot guys who have been doing it wrong for two years.
It is far more academic than most people realize.

About Kentucky windage... I can say for sure that up to 250m, you can achieve very good accuracy and the aiming time can be reduced to fractions of a second. I presume you could pull it off to 300m but I have not tried that so it is hard for me to comment on ranges beyond 250m.

Back