A shift in balance of oil power!

gladius

The Oil Sands Of Alberta

There’s an oil boom going on right now. Not in Saudi Arabia or Kuwait or any of those places, but 600 miles north of Montana.

The oilmen up there aren’t digging holes in the sand and hoping for a spout. They’re digging up dirt — dirt that is saturated with oil. They’re called oil sands, and if you’ve never heard of them then you’re in for a big surprise because the reserves are so vast in the province of Alberta that they will help solve America’s energy needs for the next century.

There are 175 billion barrels of proven oil reserves here. That’s second to Saudi Arabia’s 260 billion but it’s only what companies can get with today’s technology. The estimate of how many more barrels of oil are buried deeper underground is staggering.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/01/20/60minutes/main1225184.shtml

This could shift the balance of oil power. Which means the USA may no longer be dependant on Middle East oil. Other countries like Europe will still be, but the US is likely to shift where it gets its oil from within a decade or so.

Other than lowering the gas prices, what are you oppinions of the impact of this on world politics?

The very fact that the US will be getting its oil from another source will no doubt cause a major shift in geo-ecomomic politics. Not only that but it will put the US in an unasalable position regarding its energy needs.

Well, either Canada will become the 51st State of the Union. Or we [America] will be very good friends with our neighbors to the north. I think this will help out the Western Hemisphere greatly.

Italian Guy said:
Well there's a pretty strong conservative movement in Alberta that pushes towards annexation with the US.

Yeah, Michael Moore was griping about the Canadian choice of Government this week. He is accusing them of becoming Bush country. I think he had moved there or something. I'll try to find his article and put it here.:crybaby:

Found it. http://sg.news.yahoo.com/060121/1/3y2rn.html

Controversial American documentary filmmaker Michael Moore bemoaned an apparent right turn by liberal northern neighbor Canada in its upcoming general election.
"Oh, Canada -- you're not really going to elect a Conservative majority on Monday, are you? That's a joke, right? I know you have a great sense of humor, ... but this is no longer funny," Moore complained in a commentary on his website.
"First, you have the courage to stand against the war in Iraq -- and then you elect a prime minister who's for it. You declare gay people have equal rights -- and then you elect a man who says they don't," Moore moaned.

Michael Moore can weep about Canada's change in government over a gallon of ice cream. Boo hoo hoo lol.:lol:

If Canada wants to annex, I think thats a good idea if their people want it, I'd be all for it, but only if they want it so. You can barley tell Americans and Canadians apart anaways, most of them at least.

Except that oil from the oil sands is a lot more expensive than importing oil. Even more expensive than US production.

I am all for annexation of Alberta, though. I love Stampede!

Haven't we known about this for a long time, it's just extremely expensive (comparitively) to actually get the stuff out of the sand and into our gas tanks?

I have no problem with Alberta wanting to be annexated by the USA. Hell, we have a treaty with the RCPM and local police forces. They can cross the border in the USA if they are chasing a scumbag and we can do the same. I think Canada can be the 51st State of the Union. Infact, I'm going to write a letter to the government of Alberta and see if they just want to be part of sunny Florida.

msgtmedleyusmc said:
Except that oil from the oil sands is a lot more expensive than importing oil. Even more expensive than US production.

I am all for annexation of Alberta, though. I love Stampede!

Living in Alberta and the Stampede City I can tell you that annexation will be a long way off. That being said Alberta, over any other province in the country, can thank a great deal of it's financial success to US investment specifically the original Seven Sisters Standard oil companies dating back the the 1930's. 10% of our provincial population holds US passports. Federal opinions/posturing aside this Province has and always will consider itself closer to it's US neighbours than any other province and maintains a great relationship with states such as Colorado and Texas among others.

IMO it would only benefit both countries long term.

mackie said:
Living in Alberta and the Stampede City I can tell you that annexation will be a long way off. That being said Alberta, over any other province in the country, can thank a great deal of it's financial success to US investment specifically the original Seven Sisters Standard oil companies dating back the the 1930's. 10% of our provincial population holds US passports. Federal opinions/posturing aside this Province has and always will consider itself closer to it's US neighbours than any other province and maintains a great relationship with states such as Colorado and Texas among others.

IMO it would only benefit both countries long term.

Thank you Mackie. I have been to AB and I loved it there.

Back