Sea Cadets VS. Young Marines

which is betetr Young Marines or Sea Cadets

• Total voters

Skater2k4

I am really interested in joining a young military group, since i can find any information on the cap and my school doesn't support JROTC i am thinking about joining the Sea Cadets or the Young Marines. i of course do plan on enlisting when i am 17 and im not sure about what branch to go into but for sure going to enlist. please help me out and let me know which is better idc if its ur opinion or fact. just let me know asap. please post and do the poll both.

Either will introduce you to some form of military life and, if you play your cards right, get you an advanced rank upon enlistment. Neither will be particularly useful in terms of actual military training - honestly, it doesn't matter which you join.

Either will introduce you to some form of military life and, if you play your cards right, get you an advanced rank upon enlistment. Neither will be particularly useful in terms of actual military training - honestly, it doesn't matter which you join.
Which is more realistic? like is Sea Cadets more organized? because that's the impression im getting from the websites and videos.

Go for the marines.
u sure? because i want to get something where people are mature. i have been looking into it alot lately and i have noticed that alot of the young marine pictures and videos are alot of little kids. im 16 so i dont want to be with 11 year olds you know what i mean? im just very curiouse.

I'm not sure how the Young Marines are in your area, or where exactly you're from, but most of the programs are designed to teach you about the military in general, and the Marine Corps specifically. They work with local bases or reserve units to teach you things like drill, physical fitness, etc. Think of it as similar to scouts, only with a military focus. The instructors are normally retired Marines (and in many cases former Drill Instructors) and will be able to give you some personal insight to the Corps, as well as get you in touch with a recruiter if that is what you choose to do. They can also help with scholarships specifically aimed at the Young Marines. I can't talk about the Sea Cadets, but I know Young Marines is a great program. I am about to go on recruiting duty and I plan on working with the local Young Marines while I am out there. Good luck in you decision and I hope I was some help.
Semper Fi,
SSgt Mac

Last edited:
I'm not sure how the Young Marines are in your area, or where exactly you're from, but most of the programs are designed to teach you about the military in general, and the Marine Corps specifically. They work with local bases or reserve units to teach you things like drill, physical fitness, etc. Think of it as similar to scouts, only with a military focus. The instructors are normally retired Marines (and in many cases former Drill Instructors) and will be able to give you some personal insight to the Corps, as well as get you in touch with a recruiter if that is what you choose to do. They can also help with scholarships specifically aimed at the Young Marines. I can't talk about the Sea Cadets, but I know Young Marines is a great program. I am about to go on recruiting duty and I plan on working with the local Young Marines while I am out there. Good luck in you decision and I hope I was some help.
Semper Fi,
SSgt Mac
Thanks Alot SSGT, i really appreciate the input. I think im going for the young marines 3 people have gone with YM. Thanks alot. if anyone else has anything to say please do haha.

Somewhat a grave dig...

But having been part of Civil Air Patrol for 5 years as a cadet, I interacted with Sea Cadets, JROTC, and Young Marines many times. Most of these were at a local airshow, where all the units help with security and clean up, etc. Due to CAP being inclined towards Aerospace, I happened to command 250 Navy/Army JROTC, 50 Sea Cadets, and 20 Young Marines in August 2007. From that last experience with all the groups, and the past ones at previous encounters I can tell you that I'd rank the organizations as CAP/USSC, JROTC, Young Marines, in that particular order.

CAP is my team. Everything I learned military related was from CAP, and while it's not a prep school for the military, it definately made me appreciate the life style and the way of the military. I've had so many wonderful experiances, and I've had many great opportunities with national and local activities.

USSC. I had quite a few friends who were USSC, and I can say that the local unit, while one of the better ones, sometimes acted like a whole bunch of kids hanging out. Other times, however they were awesome, especially at the airshows and their summer activities locally kick ass! (Note, some CAP units have the same "hanging out" mentality, so your milage will vary)

JROTC. No Gym! Woot! (That's pretty much all I got out of them. lol)

Young Marines. I've never seen anyone older than 12-13 in the Young Marines. Mostly because at 12 you can join CAP, and at 13 you can become a USSC. Heck, before then you can join the USSC with their junior program. Their uniforms look like crap, and I don't mean 'bling' I mean the way they wore them (and the crap that was on it too, I'll admit). They NEVER took an order, and they never performed an assigned task. What you get for having an avg age of 9-10 years old.

As for not fiding anythign on CAP...http://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/html/index.htm

Also, that said, if you are 16 right now, and wish to enlist at 17-18, If you give CAP 18 months and are high speed, you can get the Mitchell Award, giving you C/2d Lt in the program, and E-3 in the Air Force and Coast Guard. Marines never give **** to anyone, and Army/Navy will negotiate for E-3 but will also give E-2 no problems.

For more info on all of them, go to CadetStuff.org, as they have resources for all the programs.

Last edited:
Somewhat a grave dig...

But having been part of Civil Air Patrol for 5 years as a cadet, I interacted with Sea Cadets, JROTC, and Young Marines many times. Most of these were at a local airshow, where all the units help with security and clean up, etc. Due to CAP being inclined towards Aerospace, I happened to command 250 Navy/Army JROTC, 50 Sea Cadets, and 20 Young Marines in August 2007. From that last experience with all the groups, and the past ones at previous encounters I can tell you that I'd rank the organizations as CAP/USSC, JROTC, Young Marines, in that particular order.

CAP is my team. Everything I learned military related was from CAP, and while it's not a prep school for the military, it definately made me appreciate the life style and the way of the military. I've had so many wonderful experiances, and I've had many great opportunities with national and local activities.

USSC. I had quite a few friends who were USSC, and I can say that the local unit, while one of the better ones, sometimes acted like a whole bunch of kids hanging out. Other times, however they were awesome, especially at the airshows and their summer activities locally kick ass! (Note, some CAP units have the same "hanging out" mentality, so your milage will vary)

JROTC. No Gym! Woot! (That's pretty much all I got out of them. lol)

Young Marines. I've never seen anyone older than 12-13 in the Young Marines. Mostly because at 12 you can join CAP, and at 13 you can become a USSC. Heck, before then you can join the USSC with their junior program. Their uniforms look like crap, and I don't mean 'bling' I mean the way they wore them (and the crap that was on it too, I'll admit). They NEVER took an order, and they never performed an assigned task. What you get for having an avg age of 9-10 years old.

As for not fiding anythign on CAP...http://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/html/index.htm

Also, that said, if you are 16 right now, and wish to enlist at 17-18, If you give CAP 18 months and are high speed, you can get the Mitchell Award, giving you C/2d Lt in the program, and E-3 in the Air Force and Coast Guard. Marines never give **** to anyone, and Army/Navy will negotiate for E-3 but will also give E-2 no problems.

For more info on all of them, go to CadetStuff.org, as they have resources for all the programs.
thank you i have recently joined the Civil Air Patrol, there is a unit 2 miles away from where i live! i have just finished my three meetings and i have put in my forms for acceptance. i can't wait!

Good to hear, If you ever have any questions, etc. Send me a PM, or e-mail if the system allows it. Like I said, I did 5 years as a cadet (technically 4, since the last year or so was wishy-washy with work and college), but I've definitely had a lot of experience in almost every branch CAP has to offer a cadet.

Either one is a step forward .. both will introduce you to the military.

My biggest exposure, was to the Sea Cadets (I'm a retired Chief Petty Officer). They joined various Naval commands (ships), and spent varying periods aboard, learning the ropes. I have drilled them on various operations (gun/missile firing exercises, fire drills, flooding drills, ordnance loading/unloading. etc). I have found them to be well trained and militarily "Gungho". Just to give you an idea how "old tars' viewed them ... "They were as cute as a bunch of waggly tailed little puppies" (the view of a bunch of old farts {Chiefs}), and "willing to get their hands dirty in search of new training".

As far as Young Marines", it is my opinion that even though they will introduce you somewhat to the military, it won't do a thing as far as preparing for the real thing. Boot training for a Marine, isn't something you can really prepare yourself for (with the exception of the physical training), which is intense. Most of Marine Boot, is mental conditioning ... the breaking down of civilian attitudes and the indoctrination of a "Marine/Jarhead/Leatherneck" and everything they stand for.

Being a Marine is more a state of mind (even though they stress physical fitness throughout your term of service).

thanks alot for the information, i am currently in the Civil Air Patrol since the Sea Cadets and Young Marine units were 23 miles from my house and the Civil Air Patrol is only two haha. Thanks for all that information too. i have also decided on either AF or Navy when i enlist.

thanks alot for the information, i am currently in the Civil Air Patrol since the Sea Cadets and Young Marine units were 23 miles from my house and the Civil Air Patrol is only two haha. Thanks for all that information too. i have also decided on either AF or Navy when i enlist.
To help you with that decision, here's just a little observation of mine:

• If you want to see a lot of the world, going Navy in a shipboard job is the way to go. Med tours etc, are a good way to see the world.
  • If you would prefer not to travel as much, going Air Force doing an 'aircraft maintenance' type job, will cut down on travel. You could still see parts of the world as a crew member on some of the transports or multi-crewed aircraft, etc though.

Also, Air Force members don't seem to have as many transfers and seem to spend longer times at their assignments while Navy personnel receive transfers every 3 years or so. I know of a couple of Air Force types, that served at the same air base for almost their entire 20 years of service {one was 20 years and the other was 18 years at one base and 2 years at a second assignment}.

Depending on job selection, your skills are marketable when you decide to go back to being a civilian ... the longer you are in .. the larger the job selection can be.

Sooo .. don't just enter the service to put in your time .. make the decision right now, to select a job where the training and experience can mean getting a good job in the civilian sector - you'll never regret it.

yeah im probably going Navy, i just need to decide what MOS i want. i kind of wanted combat but idk. I also don't mind not seeing the world haha. I've had my fare share of travels and moves since i am from South Africa and then moved to Saudi Arabia.

yeah im probably going Navy, i just need to decide what MOS i want. i kind of wanted combat but idk. I also don't mind not seeing the world haha. I've had my fare share of travels and moves since i am from South Africa and then moved to Saudi Arabia.

If you decide to go Navy and are mechanically inclined, then choosing an MOS of Gas Turbine Tech (GSM or GSE), would be a good choice. There is a large market in the civilian sector, where you could get a good paying job working on gas turbines. Another choice, would be to get into one of the Computer Repair Technician MOSs ... a job area that has many applications in the civilian sectors paying high salaries.

As I said, look forward to the time you decide to become a civilian again ... and ... do everything you can to acquire a skill set while on active duty that enables you to get a well paying job as a civilian. It's something you won't regret.

yeah, I plan on making a career out of it, but i guess i can't really say that untill i have tasted real military life.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif](www.seacadets.org)[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]What is Sea Cadets[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The Naval Sea Cadet Corps (NSCC) is for American youth ages 13-17 who have a desire to learn about the Navy, Marine Corps, Coast Guard and Merchant Marine. Sea Cadets are authorized by the Secretary of the Navy to wear Navy uniforms appropriately marked with the Sea Cadet Corps insignia. The objectives of the Sea Cadet program are to introduce youth to naval life, to develop in them a sense of pride, patriotism, courage, and self-reliance, and to maintain an environment free of drugs and gangs.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Sea Cadet Units[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Cadets meet or "drill" at their local unit weekly or monthly through out the year. A unit is structured along military lines and is headed by a Commanding Officer. Units may drill on military bases, at reserve centers, local schools, or community centers. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Sea Cadet units are organized as either divisions, squadrons, or battalions. Divisions closely reflect the surface Navy, while squadrons are geared toward the field of naval aviation, and battalions meanwhile reflect Navy construction battalions (SeaBees).[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Whether a division, squadron, or battalion, the local unit has one main purpose, and that is to foster team work, camaraderie and an understanding of the military command structure. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Cadets are instructed by both Sea Cadet Officers and senior cadets through classroom and applied instruction in subjects such as basic seamanship, military drill, and leadership. And most Sea Cadet regions throughout the country hold weekend competitions where units compete with each other to test their seamanship and military skills.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Local units will often participate in community events such as parades and fairs. They may also tour Navy and Coast Guard ships and shore stations. And participate in community service such as working in Veterans' Hospitals and organizing clothing and food drives.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Training & Advancement[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Sea Cadet training consists of Navy Non-Resident Training Courses (NRTC), training evolutions (away from local units), shipboard training, and training arranged locally by units.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]All new cadets enter the program at the rate of Seaman Recruit. In order for cadets to move up through the ranks they must complete the following: the NRTC Correspondence Course for that rate, one training evolution, and depending on the rate, the Navy's Military Leadership exam for that rate. NRTC's cover basic military and naval subjects such as naval history, seamanship, leadership, and ship/aircraft familiarization. The cadet rate structure parallels that of the Navy and Coast Guard's enlisted rate structure, with Chief Petty Officer being the highest rate a cadet can achieve.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Training takes place mostly during summer months and occasionally during winter and spring break periods and are generally one to two week evolutions. The first training evolution for all cadets is NSCC Recruit Training, better known as boot camp. It is a scaled down version of the Navy's boot camp. For approximately two-weeks cadets are instructed by active and reserve military personnel and Sea Cadet officers in military drill and discipline, physical fitness, seamanship, shipboard safety, first aid, naval history, and leadership.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]After cadets have successfully completed boot camp, they can then participate in advanced training. Sea Cadet advanced training currently consists of the following:[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]TRAINING SCHOOLS[/FONT]
    • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]AIRMAN TRAINING (BASIC & ADVANCED)[/FONT]
    • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]AIR TRAFFIC CONTROL TRAINING[/FONT]
    • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]FAA GROUND SCHOOL[/FONT]
    • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]CULINARY ARTS TRAINING[/FONT]
    • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]MEDICAL TRAINING (GENERAL, FIELD, SURGICAL & DENTAL TECH)[/FONT]
    • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]FIREFIGHTING TRAINING [/FONT]
    • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]PHOTO JOURNALISM TRAINING[/FONT]
    • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]CEREMONIAL GUARD [/FONT]
    • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]SUBMARINE SEMINAR [/FONT]
    • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]MARKSMANSHIP TRAINING [/FONT]
    • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]CONSTRUCTION BATTALION (SEABEE) TRAINING (BASIC & ADVANCED)[/FONT]
    • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]MINE WAREFARE OPERATIONS TRAINING[/FONT]
    • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]MUSIC SCHOOL [/FONT]
    • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]SEAL TEAM TRAINING [/FONT]
    • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]EXPLOSIVE ORDNANCE DISPOSAL TRAINING[/FONT]
    • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]AMPHIBIOUS TRAINING [/FONT]
    • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]PETTY OFFICER LEADERSHIP ACADEMY [/FONT]
    • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]MASTER-AT-ARMS TRAINING (MILITARY POLICE/LAW) [/FONT]
    • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]JUDGE ADVOCATED GENERAL (JAG) TRAINING[/FONT]
    • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]SAILING SCHOOL[/FONT]
    • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]SCUBA SCHOOL [/FONT]
    • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]SEAMANSHIP TRAINING [/FONT]
    • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]SHIPBOARD TRAINING[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]LIVE ABOARD NAVY & COAST GUARD SHIPS & SHORE STATIONS FOR TWO-WEEKS. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Sea Cadet training is held throughout the continental United States, Hawaii, Puerto Rico and Guam on military installations.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]In addition to the above, those cadets who exhibit extraordinary initiative and leadership ability may participate in annual exchanges with Sea Cadet Corps' around the world.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]FOREIGN EXCHANGE PARTNERS[/FONT]
    • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]AUSTRALIA[/FONT]
    • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]BELGIUM [/FONT]
    • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]BERMUDA [/FONT]
    • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]CANADA [/FONT]
    • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]HONG KONG [/FONT]
    • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]JAPAN [/FONT]
    • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]NETHERLANDS[/FONT]
    • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]RUSSIA[/FONT]
    • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]SOUTH KOREA [/FONT]
    • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]UNITED KINGDOM[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Cadets get to meet their foreign counterparts, experience new cultures, and get to see how the navies of the world operate.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Benefits[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Depending on the rate achieved in the Naval Sea Cadets, former cadets may be eligible to enlist in the armed forces at an advanced pay grade. Being a member honorably discharged from the Corps is looked upon favorably by selection boards for military academies and ROTC programs. Also those cadets who are accepted to a four-year university may be eligible for scholarships.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The Naval Sea Cadet Corps provides its cadets the opportunity to develop their leadership skills, build their character and become productive citizens.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Membership Requirements[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]In order to join the Naval Sea Cadet Corps applicants must meet the following criteria:[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Be between the ages of 13 and 17. [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Must be a US Citizen [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Be in good health and pass a qualifying physical examination. [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Be a full time student and maintain satisfactory grades (2.00 "C" grade point average). [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Be free of felony convictions[/FONT]

Last edited:
Which is more realistic? like is Sea Cadets more organized? because that's the impression im getting from the websites and videos.

Sea Cadets is more organized. We have more uniforms and rules/regulations. Its also much more realistic and we have TONS of training you can attend that will help you out later in life. If you'd like more info, just ask. Good luck.

Which organization

As a Battalion Commander for the Young Marines I can tell you this. No matter what the program is you should visit each one. Just like in the military all units are different depending on their leadership.
USAFAUX2004 commented about the local Young Marine unit which is definitely not a good thing. I would say you should visit the local Unit, becuase if it was that bad there may be some leadership opportunities for you there. The Uniforms will definitely be better in the JROTC, CAP, and Sea Cadets, because they are funded by their respective branches. The Young Marines funding comes from Fund Raising. Each organization will get you some rank in their respective organization and there are some allotments for other youth Groups. Just by being in any of the above mentioned groups you will receive E2 in any branch you join. For the Marine Corps you can only get E2 if you are a Sergeant in the Young Marines or an Eagle Scout.

On a Side Note: I would also like to invite USAFAUX2004 to visit my Unit of Young Marines and see if he could hang with my 12-13 year olds that are entirely led by by senior Young Marines that are 15 - 18 years old, because my local CAP won't even accept our challenges for a Drill Competition.

Ignorant People..

I think the sea cadets is one of the best why, look at the trainings and also in the sea cadets more doors are open for example you make E-2 in the NSCC you get E-2 upon enlistment exept for the marines Same for E-3, Also one thing i noticed the awards in the young marines are basically handed to you if you see a E-1 in the Young marines with 3 ribbion racks doesnt this tell you something, also if you get E-6 in the young marines you can get E-2 in any other branch not E-3, and aiming twords a naval carrier the NSCC is looked highly upon in places such as the Naval achad.
I RECCOMEND THE SEA CADETS.

Back