Who Says Vets Can't Salute the Flag? -

Read more about Who Says Vets Can't Salute the Flag? Have you ever been confused whether you're supposed to put your hand over your heart or if you're authorized to salute when the U.S.

Military Medals Store

International Military Forums > >

User Name
Password

August 22nd, 2007   #1
DTop

Who Says Vets Can't Salute the Flag? info

Who Says Vets Can't Salute the Flag?

Have you ever been confused whether you're supposed to put your hand over your heart or if you're authorized to salute when the U.S. Flag passes or the national anthem is played?
Current law (Section 9 of title 4, United States Code) says that veterans and service members not in uniform should put their hands over their hearts. It doesn't expressly say they're not authorized to salute the Flag -- but it doesn't say they can, so that's the implication.
That's a sore spot for many veterans, for whom the salute is a point of pride in their service. Sen. James Inhofe (R-OK) and Rep. Dan Boren (D-OK) introduced legislation (S. 1877 and H.R. 3380, respectively) to change the law to state that those present in uniform "should render the military salute. Members of the Armed Forces and veterans who are present but not in uniform may render the military salute."
Last month, on July 25, the Senate approved S. 1877 by unanimous consent, and it has been forwarded to the House for consideration.
MOAA fully supports this change. Please note that it does not mandate the salute for members and veterans not in uniform, but simply clarifies that they are authorized to honor the Flag with a salute rather than the hand over the heart if they prefer.

Note: At least it's good to see bipartisan support on something.

http://www.moaa.org/www.moaa.org/lac...817.htm#issue3

I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which in truth, they are.
Gen. W.T. Sherman

August 22nd, 2007   #2
A Can of Man

This should be changed.
Anyone who once saluted the flag earned the right to do this for the rest of their lives. It should not be provisional. Not to mention, many of these people continue to serve their country after their service is officially over.

August 22nd, 2007   #3
Spartacus

Sounds good to me...

Im glad they use "should" and "may" otherwise an "unauthorized" response would be a crime...

Qui tacet consentire.
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum.
Nec Aspera Terrent.
Vir sapit qui pauca loquitur.

August 22nd, 2007   #4
implicature

I agree. I earned the right to salute and i plan on using it throughout the rest of my days. I have seen things as a you service member that i thought were cheesy and saluting a flag out of uniform used to be one of them. However after i matured (I still have a long way to go) i realized that some things can't be understood unless you have lived them. Saluting a flag isn't something civilians do... in my eyes a VETERAN will never be a civilian.

If you don't make your own decisions someone else will.
If you don't make yourself happy... no one else will.

If you want to make God laugh just tell him your plans!

August 22nd, 2007   #5
Team Infidel

pretty low key distro though.... it passed a month or so ago.

August 22nd, 2007   #6
Del Boy

Question here. 'When in uniform' - does this have to include hat or cap? Brits have to be wearing headgear to salute; is this so in USA?

Glad the Vets have been accomodated.

August 22nd, 2007   #7
AJChenMPH

2nd question: any word on whether the language was changed from "Armed Forces" to "Uniformed Services"? Strange as it may seem, USPHS and NOAA would only be included if "Uniformed Services" was used...

Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here am I. Send me!" -- Isaiah 6:8

August 22nd, 2007   #8
senojekips

This law like some others is one of those that is best ignored.

In Australia it is forbidden for persons outside of the Navy to use the White Ensign without prior approval of navy office. There is presently a concerted civil disobedience campaign in operation among Ex Naval groups who are supplying Ensigns for use at the burials of ex Naval personel.

"I am totally responsible for what I write,... however I cannot be held responsible for your complete inability to understand"

August 22nd, 2007   #9
DTop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Infidel
pretty low key distro though.... it passed a month or so ago.
That may be because it has yet to be considered by the House of Reps. I'd sure like to see this passed and see vets saluting the flag.
I'd also like to see 2 by 4s being rattled off the back of the heads of those who won't even remain quiet through the playing of the national anthem. But maybe we'll save that bill for the next session of congress?

August 23rd, 2007   #10
Rob Henderson

Amen to that. Both parts of your bill, Top.

Tags
authorized, flag, salute, uniform, veterans