Who Says Vets Can't Salute the Flag?

In Britain you do not salute the flag or any one else if you or out off uniform or not wearing military headdress. Many Vets in Britain will wear a blazer with their Regimental badge on it and their medals above that. They can also wear a beret with their Regimental Badge in it in that case they can salute. If they are in parade the Vets will not salute flag if their is an officer or senior NCO who is in charge, He will them to attention and he will take the salute. If you are on a march past then he will salute and call for an eyes right or left which ever is the case.

Correct me if I'm wrong but these are more like guidelines than actual laws or rules. Who cares what gesture someone uses to address the flag? Whether its saluting, covering your heart, or flipping it off.

Correct me if I'm wrong but these are more like guidelines than actual laws or rules. Who cares what gesture someone uses to address the flag? Whether its saluting, covering your heart, or flipping it off.

The purpose of the law was basically to set procedure so that they CAN salute it if they wish.

I care what gesture someone regards the flag that my brothers and sisters died for.

I dont see any pirates here... matey.

BTW Note bulldog's rank and title? I would not recommend flipping it off unless you want that finger suddenly broken with a 2x4... read the law.

And now LeEnfield, Bugfatty has illustrated the American side of this cultural issue.

Brits tend to follow the rules and Americans say ":cen: it, I'll do what I want."

There is merit in both approaches.

I meant "who cares" as far as the law is concerned.

Well, if you want me to go lawyer on you...

Technically, gestures are an expression of the freedom of speech, yes our 1st amendment. So... sure 'who cares' fits. If you wish to flip off the flag, it is considered protected speech. However, protected speech is no longer protected when it puts the public in danger or the reasonable apprehension of such. Thus, when you flip off the flag, it could be interpreted as an anti-American act and perhaps even hostile, provided certain factors were present. If a hostile is present at an event, it could put the public in danger and thus would no longer be protected. There see... its not that hard. I care.

bugfatty, I think you'd be surprised how many people do care. If someone were to "flip off" the flag, they'd be flipping off what it stands for as well. A gesture like that would be similar to making an obscene gesture at a temple just because you're not Jewish or spitting at the Irish flag at the St. Patrick's Day parade in NYC or Boston. No wait that last one would probably get you a serious but well deserved beat down. Ya it's not a law but it is common courtesy.

Last edited:
United States Code: TITLE 4 CHAPTER 1 § 9

During the ceremony of hoisting or lowering the flag or when the flag is passing in a parade or in review, all persons present except those in uniform should face the flag and stand at attention with the right hand over the heart. Those present in uniform should render the military salute. When not in uniform, men should remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart. Aliens should stand at attention. The salute to the flag in a moving column should be rendered at the moment the flag passes.

Perhaps if more Americans cared about the United States Flag then everyone (to include NASCAR, the NFL, and such) would brush up on the entire United States Code with regards to the US Flag.....

§ 8 No disrespect should be shown to the flag of the United States of America; the flag should not be dipped to any person or thing. Regimental colors, State flags, and organization or institutional flags are to be dipped as a mark of honor.

(a) The flag should never be displayed with the union down, except as a signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life or property.

(b) The flag should never touch anything beneath it, such as the ground, the floor, water, or merchandise.

(c) The flag should never be carried flat or horizontally, but always aloft and free.

(d) The flag should never be used as wearing apparel, bedding, or drapery. It should never be festooned, drawn back, nor up, in folds, but always allowed to fall free. Bunting of blue, white, and red, always arranged with the blue above, the white in the middle, and the red below, should be used for covering a speaker’s desk, draping the front of the platform, and for decoration in general.

(e) The flag should never be fastened, displayed, used, or stored in such a manner as to permit it to be easily torn, soiled, or damaged in any way.

(f) The flag should never be used as a covering for a ceiling.

(g) The flag should never have placed upon it, nor on any part of it, nor attached to it any mark, insignia, letter, word, figure, design, picture, or drawing of any nature.

(h) The flag should never be used as a receptacle for receiving, holding, carrying, or delivering anything.

(i) The flag should never be used for advertising purposes in any manner whatsoever. It should not be embroidered on such articles as cushions or handkerchiefs and the like, printed or otherwise impressed on paper napkins or boxes or anything that is designed for temporary use and discard. Advertising signs should not be fastened to a staff or halyard from which the flag is flown.

(j) No part of the flag should ever be used as a costume or athletic uniform. However, a flag patch may be affixed to the uniform of military personnel, firemen, policemen, and members of patriotic organizations. The flag represents a living country and is itself considered a living thing. Therefore, the lapel flag pin being a replica, should be worn on the left lapel near the heart.

(k) The flag, when it is in such condition that it is no longer a fitting emblem for display, should be destroyed in a dignified way, preferably by burning.

Under the current Law the US Congress need not get involved with regards to a Hand Salute rendered by Veterans, as the US President has it within his Legal Authority to make such a positive change to the Law at any time he wishes.....

§ 10 Any rule or custom pertaining to the display of the flag of the United States of America, set forth herein, may be altered, modified, or repealed, or additional rules with respect thereto may be prescribed, by the Commander in Chief of the Armed Forces of the United States, whenever he deems it to be appropriate or desirable; and any such alteration or additional rule shall be set forth in a proclamation.

Well, no matter what the law states, I salute the flag when I pass by her everyday.

I did it when I was US Army
I did it when I was out of the US Army
And I still do it as a Law Enforcement Officer

I salute her and I do it with pride, whether I am in uniform or out of uniform. I believe that I earned the right to salute her. As have many of my fellow countrymen that have proudly served this great nation.

As for civilians (Non-Military/Police/Fire Service), I believe that a hand over the heart is the right thing to do. As for Mr. Jody, if I catch him flipping off Old Glory or doing anything that ain't right a proper to such a sweet old girl. I won't rip off his finger. I'll get his finger and shove it so far up his rear end that it's gonna be coming out of his mouth.

'Nuff Said.......

Per a legislative update I just received today from the Reserve Officers Association:

Senate and House Agree on FY-2008 National Defense Authorization Act
...The NDAA conference committee released the Defense Authorization on Dec. 6, 2007 and it was passed by the House on Dec. 12. It is expected that the Senate will pass the conference report if not on Friday, Dec. 14, by early next week...

Veterans/Retiree
Members of the Armed Forces and veterans who are present but not in uniform may render the military salute under Sec. 594....

Laws cannot stop our feelings

Mr AJChenMPH reported "...vets who are present but not in uniform may render the military salute..."

In Italia, where I live and where I was an officer of the Italian Army, there are no regulations of this kind.

But that's beside the point: who can stop me from saluting Our Flag in Official Ceremonies?
Years ago, our President of the Republic was Sandro Pertini: he was a Man strong as an oak and cool as November. He fought against the Fascists in the World War II and was imprisoned... and, with no doubt, he has been the most appreciated President in the History of Italia.

Well, in every Official Ceremony, he took and kissed the Italian Flag. He was an example for me to follow... regardless of laws or articles.

Alex

Since this thread has been resurrected -- my understanding is that this provision was included in NDAA 2008, and I recall that it was passed and signed into law:

Military salute for the flag during the national anthem by members of the armed forces not in uniform and by veterans (sec. 1081)
The committee recommends a provision that would amend section 301 of title 36, United States Code, to authorize members of the armed forces and veterans to render a military salute in the same manner as members of the armed forces in uniform during a rendition of the national anthem.

Source: http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/congress/2008_rpt/sr-110-335.htm

This law like some others is one of those that is best ignored.

In Australia it is forbidden for persons outside of the Navy to use the White Ensign without prior approval of navy office. There is presently a concerted civil disobedience campaign in operation among Ex Naval groups who are supplying Ensigns for use at the burials of ex Naval personel.

Yes but then look at the term ANZAC, as I understand it you can not use the term ANZAC for anything other than describing the Australia New Zealand Army Corps (by law in New Zealand) and yet it is used to describe everything from sports events to department store sales.

As far as I am aware, the RAF ensign is never used during burials of serving or ex RAF personnel.

Unless someone knows different.

I served America. I earned the right to salute or not salute. And there ain't no bastage out there that's big enough nor bad enough to do anything ABOUT me saluting Old Glory!

Back