Who Says Vets Can't Salute the Flag?

DTop

Who Says Vets Can't Salute the Flag?

Have you ever been confused whether you're supposed to put your hand over your heart or if you're authorized to salute when the U.S. Flag passes or the national anthem is played?
Current law (Section 9 of title 4, United States Code) says that veterans and service members not in uniform should put their hands over their hearts. It doesn't expressly say they're not authorized to salute the Flag -- but it doesn't say they can, so that's the implication.
That's a sore spot for many veterans, for whom the salute is a point of pride in their service. Sen. James Inhofe (R-OK) and Rep. Dan Boren (D-OK) introduced legislation (S. 1877 and H.R. 3380, respectively) to change the law to state that those present in uniform "should render the military salute. Members of the Armed Forces and veterans who are present but not in uniform may render the military salute."
Last month, on July 25, the Senate approved S. 1877 by unanimous consent, and it has been forwarded to the House for consideration.
MOAA fully supports this change. Please note that it does not mandate the salute for members and veterans not in uniform, but simply clarifies that they are authorized to honor the Flag with a salute rather than the hand over the heart if they prefer.

Note: At least it's good to see bipartisan support on something.

http://www.moaa.org/www.moaa.org/lac_update_070817.htm#issue3

This should be changed.
Anyone who once saluted the flag earned the right to do this for the rest of their lives. It should not be provisional. Not to mention, many of these people continue to serve their country after their service is officially over.

Sounds good to me...

Im glad they use "should" and "may" otherwise an "unauthorized" response would be a crime...

I agree. I earned the right to salute and i plan on using it throughout the rest of my days. I have seen things as a you service member that i thought were cheesy and saluting a flag out of uniform used to be one of them. However after i matured (I still have a long way to go) i realized that some things can't be understood unless you have lived them. Saluting a flag isn't something civilians do... in my eyes a VETERAN will never be a civilian.

Question here. 'When in uniform' - does this have to include hat or cap? Brits have to be wearing headgear to salute; is this so in USA?

Glad the Vets have been accomodated.

2nd question: any word on whether the language was changed from "Armed Forces" to "Uniformed Services"? Strange as it may seem, USPHS and NOAA would only be included if "Uniformed Services" was used...

This law like some others is one of those that is best ignored.

In Australia it is forbidden for persons outside of the Navy to use the White Ensign without prior approval of navy office. There is presently a concerted civil disobedience campaign in operation among Ex Naval groups who are supplying Ensigns for use at the burials of ex Naval personel.

pretty low key distro though.... it passed a month or so ago.
That may be because it has yet to be considered by the House of Reps. I'd sure like to see this passed and see vets saluting the flag.
I'd also like to see 2 by 4s being rattled off the back of the heads of those who won't even remain quiet through the playing of the national anthem. But maybe we'll save that bill for the next session of congress?

That may be because it has yet to be considered by the House of Reps. I'd sure like to see this passed and see vets saluting the flag.
I'd also like to see 2 by 4s being rattled off the back of the heads of those who won't even remain quiet through the playing of the national anthem. But maybe we'll save that bill for the next session of congress?

Roger that.

"
110th CONGRESS
1st Session
H. R. 3380
To amend title 4, United States Code, to prescribe that members of the Armed Forces and veterans out of uniform may render the military salute during hoisting, lowering, or passing of flag.
IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES
August 25, 2007

Mr. Spartacus introduced the following bill; which was referred to the Committee on the Judiciary
A BILL
To amend title 4, United States Code, to prescribe that members of the Armed Forces and veterans out of uniform may render the military salute during hoisting, lowering, or passing of flag.
  • Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,
SECTION 2. CONDUCT BY CITIZENS OF THE UNITED STATES AND THOSE RESIDING LEGALLY DURING THE RAISING, LOWERING, OR PASSING OF FLAG.

• Section 9 of title 4, United States Code, is amended by adding 'And that the flag is a symbol of Freedom and Independence and is also representative of the work and sacrifice of the members of the Armed Forces and Veterans of such. Being that, Citizens and Residents of the United States are required to be respectful during the rasing, lowering, or passing of the flag of the United States of America. Being that, members present of the Armed Forces, or Veterans of such, are hereby granted authority to determine the level of compliance with such, and are hereby authorized to issue judgement on those deemed not to be in reasonable compliance. The penalty shall take the form of a strike, or strikes, from a 2x4 board, or other measure available to members of the Armed Forces or Veterans of such.'

phoenix, if you take a look at the link provided you'll find this verbiage:

Please note that it does not mandate the salute for members and veterans not in uniform, but simply clarifies that they are authorized to honor the Flag with a salute rather than the hand over the heart if they prefer.

Last edited:
Back