russia vs china

benaakatz

in my opinion its not unlikely that the chinese air force will surpass russia in its capabilities maybe 20-30 years down the line. i think the the next big match up is china vs. usa

what do you guys think?

There is to much distance between America and China for a war to develop...Now I know that China has its eye on Formosa, but it is taking a long term view of this and hopes that in time it will return to them. Now China could have invaded Hong Kong long before it was returnee to them, but they didn't and carried on supplying it with food and every thing else it needed to for the city to grow. I think that china is enjoying its self as major capitalist centre of the world with with world beating a path to their door to do business with them.

China and Russia are members of the SCO and won't be getting into a war anytime soon. There's nothing to fight over and authoritarian governments tend to hang out in clusters.

China, even as it's military capabilities grow, probably won't attack Taiwan. Partly because Taiwan may rejoin the mainland by it's own choice in the next 50 years, and partly because they know that Taiwan has planned for a Chinese invasion since the end of their civil war. Any invasion would be a bloodbath.

Any conflict that China gets in will likely be with its neighbors over control of the South China Sea or for dominance of south and central Asia with India. But I doubt China will actively seek out a war. They might, and often do, try bullying smaller countries into accepting their viewpoint but war is bad for business and business is what has made China so successful in the past few decades. They wouldn't want to wreck that over control of a few islands.

That exact same thinking prevailed in the hours leading up to the T-Square incident... Western analysts are out of their depth when trying to predict what the Chinese government will or will not do.

China, even as it's military capabilities grow, probably won't attack Taiwan. Partly because Taiwan may rejoin the mainland by it's own choice in the next 50 years, and partly because they know that Taiwan has planned for a Chinese invasion since the end of their civil war. Any invasion would be a bloodbath.
The bloodbath part is a joke right? China has in excess of 1000 aircraft capable of attack ground targets, thats not counting missiles, they're fully capable of wrecking Taiwans defensive abilities overnight.

As for potential, Chinese army is head and shoulders above its russian counterpart in training, morale and discipline, Russia has an edge in equipment but how much of it is running is up to anyone's guess. Georgia showed that Russia has its share of military problems that China most ceirtanly does not.
There is to much distance between America and China for a war to develop...
There was too much distance between Japan and US as well?

You're forgetting about all the nations that would come and aid Taiwan in the event of a chinese invasion. US, France, Britain, Japan, and South Korea to name a few. Pretty soon it would turn into WW3 with nato and western aligned nations backing taiwan and most likely North Korea, Myanmar, Bangladesh, Iran, Syria, and Pakistan backing China. Then maybe Russia would side with nato and the west. It would be a long, bloody war but most likely the west would win.

Taiwan knows that it's outmatched and outnumbered in terms of number of aircraft and missiles. That's why it copied North Korea's strategy and has extensive underground facilities. And China would not seek to destroy Taiwan. Taiwan is among the most developed and prosperous countries on the planet. China wants to take it as undamaged as possible. Try to think in diplomatic and economic terms instead of in military terms.

You're forgetting about all the nations that would come and aid Taiwan in the event of a chinese invasion. US, France, Britain, Japan, and South Korea to name a few. Pretty soon it would turn into WW3 with nato and western aligned nations backing taiwan and most likely North Korea, Myanmar, Bangladesh, Iran, Syria, and Pakistan backing China. Then maybe Russia would side with nato and the west. It would be a long, bloody war but most likely the west would win.

1. Which side will India and ASEAN be will be important in this scenario.

2. Koreas may unite meanwhile and join the Chinese to settle old scores with the Japs.

3. PRC knows very well its adversary is the West led by USA. She has declared abstinence from any shooting war till another about 10 years - by which time her industrial base, economy and the military preparedness would be ready to claim the top super power slot.

4. Taiwan is the number one forex investor in PRC. It is much to Taiwan's involvement that PRC's industry and economy is growing so fast.

5. The Chinese have been very careful and deliberate in adapting to new realities. That is why a Soviet Union did not occur here. Otherwise PRC has flouted all fundamentals of Communism since Deng Tsao Ping.

1.India would never side with China and with nations like Australia, Thailand, and Singapore in AESAN, obviously the west.

2.Koreas uniting is unlikely, but it would be under South Korea's government. They don't like the japs but China is the common enemy.

3.They have manpower but their training and tactics would be subpar compared to western nations. China is still years behind America, even though we owe them lots of money, they could never wage a war on the scale that America could.

4.Taiwan is a small part of the juggernaut that is the chinese economy. Cheap labor=lots of goods sold=lots of income.

5.They would most likely use electronic warfare and missile strikes to take out key bases like Kadena and Andersen AFB. Though they can't hit every base in the Asia-Pacific region, those are America's key bases for an attack against China.

if they do go to war, i would be very worried with all those nukes pointing at each others capitals

I think a war between China and the US will be very unconventional. China's supply lines are very vulnerable, and the US is not going to send troops to invade China because it is to big to take, so there will be no major battles between US and China ground forces. It will be a naval and air battle untill one economy collapses, and China cannot protect its supply lines nor threaten the US ones.

I guess if war will become between us (i mean Russia) and China - the main strike will be inflicted from Vladivostok, Blagoveshensk, and Khabarovsk to South Jakutia till Ural mountains. BUT! The topography on this part of Russia territory is very hard to ground force (tanks, soldiers, machines). The will prefer to use troops and air force to begin invasion. But they can't reach supremacy in the air, because we have S-300, and S-400 antiaircraft SAMs. The have them too, but the maximum attack range of Chineese S-300/400 analogs is much shorter than Russian-made missiles. I saw the Chineese blueprints of S-300 rockets. It's a bullsheet :)
S-400 don't leave a chanse even to American aircraft's. I don't talk about Chineese aircrafts, because them much worse then ANY US aircraft.
So i guess this war will be only on the borders of the warring sides.

almost automatic stalemate?

looking at google earth, i came to this opinion. if it were a nuclear exchange. i believe the USA would win, as we would be the remaning military superpower.

in a conventional battle, the loser will be the one who attempts to invade the other power, as both regions have a long history of absorbing invaders.

an invasion into Russia from china, or into china, from Russia, presents a very dicey logistics issue. as in between the soviet center of power, (around the ural mountans) and the Chinese center of power. (the yangtse river) is a very large swath of wilderness. with limited, and very venerable transportation infrastructure.

i think this may be the main reason why there was no open war between Stalin’s USSR, and chairman Moe’s china, even if those tyrants may have been amendable to such an expansion of there own brand of tyranny. at no time, was either one of those powers capable of even starting a successful invasion. and i don’t think that reality has significantly changed.

Last edited:
looking at google earth, i came to this opinion. if it were a nuclear exchange. i believe the USA would win,

I don't agree, in the event of a nuclear exchange no one would win.

Someone once said, "I was asked if WW3 would involve nuclear weapons, I replied if it did, WW4 would be fought with clubs."

I don't agree, in the event of a nuclear exchange no one would win.

Someone once said, "I was asked if WW3 would involve nuclear weapons, I replied if it did, WW4 would be fought with clubs."

Albert Einstein: and it was sticks and stones.

well, i like that

Albert Einstein: and it was sticks and stones.

thats ok with me.

when i was a much younger lad, i was a member of a midevil historical sosiety, and learned how to fight sword and shield. just have to buff the rust off my sword, sweep the cobwebs out of the castle. and i'm set

:hide:

sticking to the topic of a russia Vs. china air war, (looking past politics) The Sukhoi T-50 for russia may be a game changer, but the chinese J-10 may pose a threat, overall russia in my opinion would outdo the chinese, and to actually get political if this conflict arose the chinese air force is supplied by russian tech, the battle could be even until china runs out of planes, and russia would take over the sky.

The T-50 won't be in service for a few years but they are modernising their su-24s and su-27s as well as buying su-35, su-34, and su-30sm/m2. The plaaf is mainly made up of obselete j-7 and j-8 interceptors with smaller amounts of su-30mkk, su-27sk, j-11a/b, and j-10s coming into service. The chinese have better awacs but russian ground based radars and sams are superior to any chinese system.

I think Russia's flag looks cooler...

And I am afraid until rounds start popping off that's as far as anyone can take this.

Back