RSTA

RSTA

Hello,

I'm RSTA and I browsed these forums when I was younger. I've grown up and have some experience now. I did some scouuting stuff and some Infantry stuff. I remember a few things if you have a question pertianing to my background.

Google the username if your curious.

Out.

We got off on the wrong foot, I hadn't checked this thread.

1-152 CAV (RSTA)

2 years infantry, 4 years as a scout.

Glad to have you, did you switch MOS's or were you voluntold since both have similar skill sets.

I started off in a reconnish/QRF/TOW infantry company in a leg Bn. They decided to transition us to full blown recon.

I'd say 80% of our guys were 19d/11b had some 13fox's too, We went from 145ish men to 65 men and thats counting HQ. Platoons in the teens.

Similar skill sets but different doctrine. Allot of our older guys didn't make the transition. Old school grunts who would attack anything, scouting is the opposite. You fire your weapon and it's mission failed.

Last edited:
I started off in a reconnish/QRF/TOW infantry company in a leg Bn. They decided to transition us to full blown recon.

I'd say 80% of our guys were 19d/11b had some 13fox's too, We went from 145ish men to 65 men and thats counting HQ. Platoons in the teens.

Similar skill sets but different doctrine. Allot of our older guys didn't make the transition. Old school grunts who would attack anything, scouting is the opposite. You fire your weapon and it's mission failed.

I understand the nuances quite well, I was a fire supporter for a long time and spent almost the entirety of my second combat deployment as a small kill team leader. My last assignment was as a fire support officer in an infantry company (bradleys).

All the fisters in the brigade had to do gunnery together and the master gunner running our table 6 was a 19D...he tried to have us do a CFF to the tower (that was totally jacked up) before we would start our engagements....needless to say, an entire brigades worth of fist teams quickly pointed out the error in his grading criteria over the radio...iteration after iteration...lol. It was funny.

On a heavier note, one of the finest NCOs I've ever known was a 19D by the name of SFC Forrest Robertson. Sadly, he was killed in a firefight against the Taliban last November after fighting to get back on the line even though he already had more than 2 years as a PSG previously. He pestered his CSM so much (after he cleaned out bn TOC working as their night battle captain) they let him take over a plt where the psg was relieved. He cleaned up that platoon but was killed leading an assault on a Taliban position 2weeks before coming home. He had already spent 52 months total in combat...he awaits us at Fiddler's Green...

"CFF to the tower" That confuses me, he was sending up cordinates to the tower?

I understand CFF seqence on the senders end, or used to. Once it hits you guys I had no idea

splash over.... splash out.

Meaning, the tower on the DMPRC gunnery range. (It is where the range oic, master gunner, range operators, and the graders for each iteration sit)They were simulating the X-ray element and they designated a hulk about 1500-2000 meters on the range for us to lase and then send a cff to them to "process". So we did what we do...they didn't specify the type of mission, whether it was an adjustment, immediate suppression, ffe, type of munitions, no message to observer, etc. we had a good laugh inside our track wondering how much head scratching was going on up there. There were 12 iterations of fisters they had to get through so we all got together to make them regret arbitrarily putting in an additional task they didn't fully understand into effect against all of us who intimately understood what he was trying to do.

That's pretty much how it goes though lol. Most grunts, tankers, and scouts simply tell us to..."just make that (insert enemy or terrain feature) go away" and we do our thing.

My last commander was a breath of fresh air because he had been a mortar PL in A-stan before so he had a good understanding of what fire support assets can do and he let us use them to great effect to help shape his battlefield.

Yep. What the hell do you need all that information for?
Just shoot at that We point out. :mrgreen:

Gladly! We help shape the battlefield and I am certainly aware of the consequences if we don't. My job is to make the job of the grunts easier, even if it is to just keep the enemy heads down long enough to buy you poor bastards enough time to stick em with your bayonet!

Of course, as a FiSTer, I'm just as likely to do the same if I screw up so there is certainly a double incentive lol. As for that information, do you want good effects on the target or poor effects on the target? No worries, us redlegs will save you grunts azz, AGAIN! ;p

I knew he would, I figured that would have been the first course of action instead of creating a new account...it's curious to me.

I knew he would, I figured that would have been the first course of action instead of creating a new account...it's curious to me.

I made the RSTA account so I could pm Red. I'm highly interested in what is going on with ISIL so I started jumping into those threads until he got back with me.

It's legit.

Back