Roy, Brooks inducted into Hockey Hall of Fame

Team Infidel

Forum Spin Doctor

Associated Press

TORONTO - Patrick Roy, the NHL's winningest goaltender, and Herb Brooks, coach of the "Miracle on Ice" team that won gold at the 1980 Olympics, were inducted Monday into the Hockey Hall of Fame.
Original Six forward Dick Duff and Calgary Flames part-owner Harley Hotchkiss also were inducted.
Brooks, who died in a car accident in 2003, led a team of U.S. college players to the greatest upset in hockey history, the "Miracle on Ice" victory over the mighty Soviet machine in the 1980 Olympic semifinals. The Americans went on to win gold, which they hadn't done since 1960.
"It seems it wasn't just a sporting event," his son, Dan Brooks, said. "It was almost a piece of American history."
Roy was a no-brainer in his first year of eligibility after amassing 551 regular-season wins and 151 playoff victories - both NHL records - as well as three Conn Smythe Trophies (1986, '93, '96) as playoff MVP and three Vezina Trophies as the NHL's top goalie (1989, '90, '92).
He played on four Stanley Cup championship teams in 19 seasons with the Montreal Canadiens and Colorado Avalanche.
"It was a great career," the 40-year-old Roy said. "It was fun, every minute of it, and I'm happy to still be involved in hockey today. Hockey is my passion."
Brooks began coaching at his alma mater, the University of Minnesota, in 1972. He led the Gophers to three NCAA titles and later coached the New York Rangers, Minnesota North Stars, New Jersey Devils and Pittsburgh Penguins.
Duff played with Toronto, Montreal, Los Angeles, Buffalo and the New York Rangers during an 18-year career that ended in 1972. He won six Stanley Cups with the Maple Leafs and the Canadiens, was a seven-time All-Star and finished his career with 283 goals and 572 points in 1,030 games.
"I was almost in tears," Duff said. "This means a lot to me, just like playing hockey meant a lot to me."
Hotchkiss was part of the group that moved the Flames to Calgary from Atlanta. He's still a part owner of the team, and is the chairman of the NHL's Board of Governors.

Back