To Ride Shotgun. Origin

Redleg

The fire is everything
Staff member
Origin of "Ride Shotgun"

This is almost military/war related since it's from the Old West, and it includes a weapon... :D

In the Old West it was the job of the person seated next to the driver to keep a lookout for trouble. This person kept his weapon, usually a shotgun, ready at all times in case it had to be used.
(also from MindlessCrap.com...)

In Norway we use the expression "Shotgun" when we want to sit in the front passenger seat in the car..
Anyone else using that expression?

We use that here too. I think it might actually be European in origin, considering you all had carriages rolling around those parts with guards and blunderbusses on them long before us. But that's just my own theory pulled from midair. I'm like magic with theories. :lol:

We call shotgun in Canada too, of course, we also call b****, which is front middle. BUt we are university students and a bit odd. it is all ways fun to call b**** when there are only two or three people. Maybe we need to get out more.

D_Plus_One said:
But we are university students and a bit odd. it is all ways fun to call b**** when there are only two or three people. Maybe we need to get out more.

No!
With ideas like that please stay indoors, I think that's safest for us all.. :wink:

Just gave me a cruisin' flash back. With three guys in the pick-up truck and myself riding shotgun, my favorite trick was to duck when we went by the dairy queen soo that it would appear that Mike was sitting next to Dave in the B**** seat with no one else in the truck.

LOL we used to yell "Hey baby!" at fat chicks and then duck, so my stepdad looks like he's in the car alone! Once he started hauling us up to the window for them to see, we stopped.

That's so wrong. Big girls need lovin' too! ^_^

Does anyone know why it's called the B*tch seat? I mean, aside from the obvious...? On another note, my boyfriend used to ride ***** until I gave him flak about it in front of his friends. I didn't mean for anyone to hear, but they did and wouldn't let him live it down, so now he won't do it. lol

there are over 100 rules to playing "shotgun". One rule says that you can only call shotgun outside of the place you are leaving. Another says that if the driver yells "reload", you get to call shotgun again. Isn't that funny? 100 rules, who is the guy or girl who came up with that?

king_garwal said:
. Isn't that funny? 100 rules, who is the guy or girl who came up with that?
Probably someone with WAY too much sparetime.. :lol:

My grandmother used to tell me the way you could spot the real cowboy in a truck was he would always ride b :cen: . Reason being in winter the b :cen: never has to get out and open and close the darn fence. It gets cold in western Kansas folks about January and that wind bites.
:cowb:

Back