Researching Family Stuff (WWI)

UnclePetesGirl

My name is Amanda. My father and uncles served in WWII, and many of my great uncles served in WWI. It's one of those I'm stuck on. His name was Pete, or Peter. Named after his father. According to my father, he was hit by mustard gas and lived long enough to get home, but died sometime in the next few years. A distant cousin of mine, who's the step granddaughter of one of Pete's brothers (not my Grandpa... there were four brothers: Joe, Jacob, Pete and Casper) has what she calls a coin, about the size of a silver half dollar or dollar. All the pictures she's sent me so far have been really blurry, but it has two holes at opposite ends, Pete's name (Peter C. Kundert), a 7 digit number on the other side. On the same side as his name is USA, and something she tried writing down, but I couldn't read that either. I swear up and down that it's Uncle Pete's (technically my Great Uncle, but Uncle is easier) tag from WWI, but she says it may be a luggage tag from Pete's father, Peter (who emigrated here with wife and daughter from Switzerland... then they had the boys).

Now she says she's found his enlistment paper or some record, and the numbers don't match (hence why she's adamant the tag is not his dog tag). Is it possible that a number on the paper and the number on the tag would be different? I would think so, but I'm just starting to dive into WWI stuff. WWII is much more alive for me, since my father served in it.

She's going to give me the 'coin' eventually, we live about an hour away from each other.

Any insight anyone can give would be awesome...

thank you. I realized I should have done a proper intro... and THEN put all that in another subforum... but when I get going, I tend to not shut up. :mrgreen:

I'm slowly entering all my mom's work from the 80's into the computer. She was very much a techno-phobe.

Back to hunting for info...

Amanda

Back