Remington SPR22 .45-70 Government Double Rifle

5.56X45mm

Milforum Mac Daddy
Remington SPR22 .45-70 Government Double Rifle

I was wondering if anyone has seen the release of said rifle. I would like to have one in my collection. Would seem cool as hell to have a African Safari Rifle chambered in .45-70 Government (proven African Safari caliber) for under $1,000.

lgsil_spr22.jpg

SPR22™
Caliber - 45-70 Govt †
Barrel Length - 23 1/2"
Receiver - Blue
Stock & Fore-End - Walnut
Overall Length - 40 1/2"
Avg. Wt. (lbs.) - 6 1/2
Order No. - 89980
Length of Pull: - 14 1/4"
Drop at Comb: - 1 1/2"
Drop at Heel: - 2 1/4"
MSRP* - $734

† NOTE: For Use with SAAMI Compliant Loads Only (28,000 PSI / 28,000 CUP Operating Pressure).
* NOTE: U.S. Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price. Actual price may vary.

You obviously copied all of those specifications off of a website. notice that there is the note at the bottom that states: † NOTE: For Use with SAAMI Compliant Loads Only (28,000 PSI / 28,000 CUP Operating Pressure).

those are the SAAMI standards for 45/70 gov for trapdoor actions and the older style sharps actions (basically repro old style guns). there are much "warmer" loads for 45/70 gov that are for "strong modern actions only" that are loaded to roughly 45,000 CUP. People that are using 45/70 for cape buffalo and other large african game are using these "warmer" loads. Get a modern bolt action 45/70 or a Marlin Guide gun.

while this baikal (or Spartan by remington as they are known since remington acquired exclusive importation rights for the US and jacked the price up by 200+ USD each, bastards!) is a neat gun and if you are only planning on shooting it for fun or using for larger north american game like bears would be fine; i would hardly call it a "safari" gun.

honestly it sucks but you are never going to find a gun with a strong action that will handle safari loads for under 1K USD; most especially if it is a double. Get a high quality bolt action in one of the larger (and also proven) safari calibers and it should serve you well. while doubles are classy and in the hands of very experienced hunter can serve well for those of us that cannot afford to go on safari often or that do not live in africa and hunt professionally a quality bolt gun is more practical and will allow you to take longer range shots on your trophy. also a quality bolt is much more affordable than a quality double.

I havent seen double rifles here in 45-70 Government, while a good calibre, I'd be very dubious using it for dangerous game such as Elephant, Rhino or Cape Buff. The most usual calibres are 375 H&H both rimmed and rimless, 404 Gibbs and 416 Rigby. There are a few German calibre double rifles, but I havent seen that many. I would love a double rifle, but the prices of most are more then my house is worth. As a matter of interest, some hunters who use double rifles carry two round between the fingers of their weak hand, as soon as both barrels have been fired they do a lightning quick reload.

One gun I had in my hands was a Holland and Holland Paradox 12 bore, oh boy, what a gun. Despite its age it locked up tight as a drum and the bores pristine, the gun beautifully balanced

The history of the gun as told to me,

The gun was bought second hand in 1912 in India by a Colonel in the Indian Army who used the gun on a number of safari's hunting tigers. When the Colonel died the gun was taken over by his son, also a officer in the Indian Army and again used on various tiger hunts. During a hunt, the party took a break, the gun was laid on the ground by the gun bearer, and the gun trod on by an Indian elelphant breaking the stock. The gun was taken to a gunsmith somewhere in India who fitted a new stock to the exact quailty of the original.

After WW2 the chap moved to South Africa, and now being almost 90 years of age is exporting the gun to his nephew in the UK.

I often wonder if the mans nephew knows exactly what he's got.

I asked the chap to adopt me as his nephew and give me the gun lol.

As a must have gun 5.56, I'd go for it, even if only for the interest.

Last edited:
Back