Remarks by retired generals calling for Rumsfeld's ouster

I dont think the generals are criticizing the actual invasion per se, I mean I loath Rummy and even I will admit that the actual invasion was fairly well planned (from a civilian's point of view).

I think the issue was the AFTERMATH of the invasion and here I think the Generals have a point. In particular the part about governing Iraq after the invasion was complete.

1. The failure of Rumsfeld to plan on a guerrilla type warefare, (which was easily perdictable).
2. The failure to secure ammo dumps, critical infrusture assets, and the borders.
3. The failure of a plan to rebuild the country (economically, politically)
4. The disbanding of the Iraqi Military and boycotting of the Baath party
5. The reliance of flawed intelligence from dubious, and quite self-serving sources within Iraq.
6. Thats just a few their are many other examples...

It was simply amateur hour...

mmarsh said:
I dont think the generals are criticizing the actual invasion per se, I mean I loath Rummy and even I will admit that the actual invasion was fairly well planned (from a civilian's point of view).

I think the issue was the AFTERMATH of the invasion and here I think the Generals have a point. In particular the part about governing Iraq after the invasion was complete.

1. The failure of Rumsfeld to plan on a guerrilla type warefare, (which was easily perdictable).
2. The failure to secure ammo dumps, critical infrusture assets, and the borders.
3. The failure of a plan to rebuild the country (economically, politically)
4. The disbanding of the Iraqi Military and boycotting of the Baath party
5. The reliance of flawed intelligence from dubious, and quite self-serving sources within Iraq.
6. Thats just a few their are many other examples...

It was simply amateur hour...

In my humble opinion if they truly did give a rat's arse about this they would have resigned in protest. Every whiff I get of this little tea kettle heightens my sense that there is nothing but self-serving grand standing going on ex post facto. Back when they could have done something about it they didn't display the intestinal fortitude they have so conveniently found now that their pension packets are in full effect.

I'll bump this up now that more is known about former Secretary of Defense Rumsfeld.

I believe Secretary of Defense Rumsfeld was a very poor Secretary of Defense, and as was proven in my mind in the case of General Wallace, when you disagreed with Rumsfeld, or spoke out about how things were going in the War that may have differed with what Rumsfeld wanted put out, well, you got your Command taken away.

Gone, but not forgotten, and his mistakes are still sending shockwaves.

I merely caught this Thread as one of the many Search Engines here was in the process of looking at it.

Back