Rangers

trailbrake2088

Getting bored with civilian lifestyle. I have a good job and I am not hurting for anything but I am just bored with it. I dont drink I dont smoke. I am 6'1 175 lbs of lean muscle I run and lift weights. I am wondering how hard this army rangers thing really is? What all do they do in the army?

How do you feel about wet/cold/hot/tired/thirsty/starved/bored/scared shitless/ blistered feet/leeches/tired and fatigued?

In fact,they are so good,but is not evertthing.
g.gif

Leeches and cold sound shitty been through the other ones doing post hole digging. Why bored though?

Mate, what Hollywood never shows about military life (and that includes "elite" units) is the amount of downtime between the fun stuff. Ever hear the phrase "hurry up and wait"? You get lots of that. Probably more so with Tier 1 units. Timing and being ready to go when the light turns green means getting set to go, then waiting. Sometimes you can wait hours or days, and then be told the op is called off.

Springing an ambush can be the most exciting 30 seconds of your life.... preceded by 8 hours of watching grass grow and pissing in your pants.

My point is, it's not all fast-roping and kicking doors.

Weeks of boredom - ten minutes of action - weeks of boredom.
The glamorous life of the elite.
:coffee:

Talking about the elite.

After an exercise in Germany many different units decended on a massive Army camp for a couple days. I was looking forward to getting a good nights sleep, when the Squadron Sergeant Major came in the billet and told me I was Orderly Corporal patrolling the NAFFI. I protested somewhat loudly, the SSM said, “Don't moan at me, I'm Orderly Officer!” With gnashing teeth I went over to the NAFFI to do my stint.

As the evening wore on quite a few of the blokes were getting stroppy after downing quite a few beers, there's me thinking “Oh blimey here we go, I'm not in the mood for a black eye.” After a bit of a struggle they were calmed down and thankfully no blood spilt, especially mine!

Then came throwing out time. I noticed a couple of SAS lads and thought “I'll leave those till last, so no one can see me die when I tell (ask?) them to leave or hear me scream like a girl while they beat the crap out of me.” I'm going round all the tables telling the blokes to drink up and leave, finally the only ones left were the SAS lads. I went over to their table and said, “Closing time lads,” and waited for the first blow to land. To my utter surprise, they drank their beer in one go and said, “OK mate.” and left, no argument, nothing.

Last edited:
Idle time and waiting, the one thing we trained most, and never trained enough..
Finally I grew a talent for sleeping whenever there was an opening for it, and finding the perfect spot to sleep.
Guess I managed to annoy quite a few NCO's and lower rank officers during that process, it simply didn't conform with their sense of military discipline and order to find a sleeping soldier on the most peculiar places.
Large ammo crates and containers for cannon barrels would provide a dry spot, on top of a running generator-set was a warm place, etc.
I remember a lieutenant nearly blowing a fuse upon finding me asleep in a dry spot on the floor of an air-lock on the outer-fortification once, only to hear the commander behind him say that it was a perfectly reasonable place to rest without getting soaked.
"Remember Lieutenant, a good soldier rests whenever he can."

The 75th Regiment is tasked with various missions in support of SOF, what they do is train, train , train and train some more and then conduct the missions they are assigned. You may think you are 175 lbs of hard spun steel and love and I assure you that the RASP instructors will knock that thought right out your head should you get to Regt.

It's an 11 Option 40 contract you want when you go to see the recruiter. Enjoy.

Attitude and determination are paramount for such a job.
You want it, you go and do it.
Curious dilettantes need not apply.

Well you guys are going to laugh but after reading about rangers training I am going to look at the marine corps. Oh well i am not going to fool myself and say I am ready for that mountain training ha.

Back