a question need an answer!

mmanuel118

i have a question for anybody who can provide and answer. i am looking to join the military i was told by the army that i wasnt eligible because of a possession charge from just about 5 yrs ago i wanted to join the infantry. is there any branch that i could still be eligible... and please non of that well you shoulda coulda woulda stuff. i was young and dumb. i have worked since then and i feel as my country is turning me away from something i have been waiting to do for about 4.5 yrs now. thats a pretty damn long wait. i would be able to join the marines?

Well if it's something the Army will reject you for, the Marines will reject you for it as well. The Marines are more strict about these things than the Army is.

Try a different recruiter. It MIGHT be you had a recruiter who did not want to do the waiver paperwork. If you get shot down again then I have to say you need to find another way to serve your country.

yea, you could always try to get a waiver, but try it with the army, the marines will auto deny you for that ****.

thats funny that you say that the marines wouldnt except me because when i spoke to a marin recuiter they said if it was less then 30 oz's then i would be ok... so were are you guys getting your info?

thats funny that you say that the marines wouldnt except me because when i spoke to a marin recuiter they said if it was less then 30 oz's then i would be ok... so were are you guys getting your info?
1) I joined the marines.
2) They are at over capacity. And they already met their recruitment goal for 2010.
3) They are not looking for people who have really any criminal record or dumb asses because there are plenty of people that don't that are trying to join.
- You really need about a 50 AFQT now (It used to be 32)

Not to say you can't join if you have a record, but you will have to get a waiver. And do a **** load of explaining.
(I went to USMEPCOM with someone that had a marijuana record and he got disqualified and is trying to get a waiver right now)

Last edited:
Yeah seriously.
If the Army consistently rejected you because of your record and some how (don't know how) the USMC took you, you'd be a very rare case indeed!

Hello pot head, how nice to see you have been able to join the ranks of the USMC.
You have started your path towards active duty with offending former and current service members who have been trying to HELP YOU.
They are not recruiters, but most of them have been where you want to go, still think it´s smart to offend them on a public board?
Some still have friends in the various commands they served under/in or know someone who does, cadre personel and so on and forth.
Still think it´s smart to shoot your mouth off in their direction?

And they say pot doesn´t make you stupid..heh

Have a very very good day..
//KJ.

Interesting. You'd think that a service that's over capacity or exceeding recruiting goals wouldn't hand out waivers too easily.

After having just been through the process at meps within the last couple of months, I have seen a few people in your situation. The real deal is that there is a flood of individuals trying to join the military right now, so the slots for all the branches are filling up. The Army is in the same situation the the Corps right now where it has met mission for the next 18 months. Usually the Army does give waivers for posession charges after a certain amount of time has passed, but as of early July they stopped, they aren't even giving consideration for GEDs right now. But my best suggestion for you right now is for the next several months at least once a month go up and ask the recruiters if that ban on waivers has been lifted, i should expect to see once the new FY rolls by you should see some fewer limitations on the waivers being accepted. I hope this helps and the best of luck to you.

Back