hamidreza

What is this?

01197590015267466539.jpg
http://www.pic1.iran-forum.ir/images/up10/01197590015267466539.jpg

F-15 doesn't have it in this picture.

f15i-7.jpg

Last edited:
R2D2? perhaps

Actually I found this answer twice as funny because it was someone named George* making the R2D2 comment!

* For those who aren't rabid fanboys of Star Wars, George Lucas was the guy behind its creation.

P.S. Back on topic, it's probably some sort of electronic device, there's a lot of electronic things it could be but I'm sure we all appreciate the requirement for operational security in regards to all those special little things the military tacks onto aircraft.

Last edited:
Yeah you're right, I was confused because from that angle it looked like it was swept wing...plus I'm going on about 30 hours without sleep. :p

It's a Satcom antenna.

Greetings.
Yes, it is SATCOM but I want to know more.
I have read something about it in a magazine recently.
The Israel Air Force (IAF) has upgraded an undisclosed number of its F-15 combat aircrafts with satellite communications (SATCOM) for long-rang strike operations.
The images which were taken in late 2010 but recently circulated show F-15D & I platforms equipped with SATCOM blister antennas aft of the cockpit.
This blister antenna could be an Elta Systems EL/K-1891 airborne SATCOM unit for over-the-horizon communications. This system allows for bidirectional long-rang voice, data, and compressed video communications between multiple aircraft, or between aircraft and ground stations. Audio and real-time visual communication is routed through geostationary commercial satellites, and provides unlimited range within the coverage of the satellites.
Over recent years Israel’s F-15A-D fighter force has been undergoing a modernization process to give them a ground attack capability but it is not known what part the SATCOM upgrade plays in this process.
As it was mentioned above this system is used in long-rang operations. In long-rang operations, more than 1500 km, using of shortwave radio communication is possible but in dangerous operations it is not reliable and depended on weather conditions or aircraft flight profiles. So this system can be a good choice for replacement.
Probably they have tested this system in their recently strike attack in Sudan. Fortunately for Israelis, they have enough enemy around themselves, so they can test their new weapons online. The same as their Iron dame they have tested it in Gaza war recently.
And what is the solution to deal with this system? Jamming?

Last edited:
Yes, it is SATCOM but I want to know more.
I have read something about it in a magazine recently.
As it was mentioned above this system is used in long-rang operations. In long-rang operations, more than 1500 km, using of shortwave radio communication is possible but in dangerous operations it is not reliable and depended on weather conditions or aircraft flight profiles. So this system can be a good choice for replacement.
Probably they have tested this system in their recently strike attack in Sudan. Fortunately for Israelis, they have enough enemy around themselves, so they can test their new weapons online. The same as their Iron dame they have tested it in Gaza war recently.
And what is the solution to deal with this system? Jamming?

All signals can be jammed and all systems can have countermeasures to reduce or eliminate jamming.

When I was stationed in Germany I was responsible for the countermeasures in an air defense system. The one with the best technology wins.

When I was stationed in Germany I was responsible for the countermeasures in an air defense system. The one with the best technology wins.

On paper, I think you may find trials concerning projected F 35 stealth signatures by potential contractors in Russia attempting to create a sales point on their more advanced S-300's systems.

Includes various passive scanning techniques and the alternating of radar arrays during the detection phases to paint everywhere the F 35 "isn't" and shoot at the gap.

Seems like it will break down to how you use your equiptment , much how the famous "Grady" rescue in Bosonia started, timing of an 1960's era system and counting the seconds after launch in that case.

Skilled use of "junk" can sometimes have unfortunate results for any modern air force.

Last edited:
On paper, I think you may find trials concerning projected F 35 stealth signatures by potential contractors in Russia attempting to create a sales point on their more advanced S-300's systems.

Includes various passive scanning techniques and the alternating of radar arrays during the detection phases to paint everywhere the F 35 "isn't" and shoot at the gap.

Seems like it will break down to how you use your equiptment , much how the famous "Grady" rescue in Bosonia started, timing of an 1960's era system and counting the seconds after launch in that case.

Skilled use of "junk" can sometimes have unfortunate results for any modern air force.

Right, sometimes. Most of the time not. I'm not up to date anymore with the newest systems but finding an F-35 and keeping a lock-on so you are able to fire are two different things.

Right, sometimes. Most of the time not. I'm not up to date anymore with the newest systems but finding an F-35 and keeping a lock-on so you are able to fire are two different things.

Well It obviously had the Pentagon questioning it's contractor's (Mainly Lockheed Martin and Boeing) over the problem back in late last year.

At the same time in a Moscow arms exhibition one of the show's cover stories was the employing of such tactics to push contracts for air defense systems.

But you are right, I think right now both the Pentagon's claims and the Russians proposed boasts are as of now just hot air for the holiday sales season.

SATCOM,F-15"Baz" which belonges to the 133("Knights of the double tail")
\106 ("Spearhead")squadrons.

Last edited:
Back