Promotions in Marine Corps. Boot Camp

Well actually Morterman wasn't something I'd have put down either but you know. Man I can tell you're pissed...

Thing is this. Regardless of the field you'll get the MOS they want you have, Thats the way the Corps Works.

Even as an 0311 you get to carry rounds for the mortars, rounds for the machine gunners and SAW gunners, rounds for the grenadiers, batteries for the radio operators, thats why we referred to ourselves as 03Packmules

Oh well absolutely grunts are grunts no complaints driving around in JLTVs, carrying nades, mortars, right. I just don't wanna be a mortarman. If I have to carry around mortar rounds as an 0311, it's fine as long as I'm an 11 or any other MOS I'm considering for that matter. Gotta love 11's.

Oh. What's an honor man? Is that like the guide during cadence running holding the flag and boot camp company number? Because I heard somewhere that also, if you qualify expertly, you get another "benefit" or something like that.
Yes, you get promoted for holding a flag, its awesome.

Most guides get promoted. But there is a whole lot more than carrying the Guidon and running at the front of formation. It's a leadership position.

Drill Instructors pick the guides. Usually several during boot camp. Most guides don't last long. The Guide in my Plt was a contract PFC, he did not get promoted to Lcpl. The 1st Squad Leader was a contract PFC, he did get promoted to Lcpl. Promotions in boot for filling a billet are not a given.

They take a look at you and they pick you.
Sometimes they pick anyone because everyone looks equally bad. But soon enough they'll pick someone they think who is squared away enough and has what it takes to do the job.
Either way it's a huge pain in the rear end if you're ever picked. You'll get quarterdecked like crazy... my brother was a guide. Said it was the worst thing in the world. He made LCpl though.

Eh. Don't care about crap like being the guide. It's honorable and I'm sure you get a little more respect in the long run but as long as I get a combat arms MOS that I'm happy with it's alright.

Good point lol. But one of the things I was wondering was whether you get promoted for qualifying with expert with the service rifle.

Good point lol. But one of the things I was wondering was whether you get promoted for qualifying with expert with the service rifle.

Been asked and answered: But one more time.

Generally (meaning not always) the Series High Shooter will get a promotion.

Not everyone who shoots expert in boot camp get's promoted

Back