Promotions in Marine Corps. Boot Camp

So you can enlist as 0300 but you can't enlist as 0311? Because I just don't wanna be assigned to be like a mortorman, or a TOW gunner, or antitank missileman or assaultman. Now Riverine Assault Craft doesn't sound bad but how many 03xx MOS's are there like 10?

14 MOS now......but alot have always exsisted as B-MOS's and have now been added as 03 instead of remaining in the old 80 series of designator.

Rigid Raider, Riverine, Recon Parachute, Recon Diver, Recon Parachute & Diver, Combat Rubber Craft, Scout Sniper all used to exsist in the 85 field.

80 field was an additional skill identifier in addition to your primary MOS commonly called a B MOS

Isn't it true that at ITB, you can write sort of a "wish list" of your MOS's that you'd like. So maybe I can punch in 1.) 0311, 2.) 0331, 3.) 0300 something like that? Just be sure, MOS 0331 carry M249 SAWs right?

Yeah you can put in a wish list, but you'll already be a 0300 when you get to ITB. 31's do carry 249's but at times when 31's are in short supply 11's have been known to hump 249's

Oh. So if I don't choose any MOS then they'll just put me in an infantry division as I understand it? So number one will be 0311, two will be 0331, and 3 I'll think about. So then when you put in a wish list, what are the odds of them assigning you to something you want in the wish list? Oh. 3 should be 0351 I guess then.

Last edited:
No you'll just get an MOS they pick for you. But even with a wish list they will still pick the MOS ..............thats why it's called a dream sheet. You will be 03 that's your guarentee.

This is freaking me out lol. Can't keep my head on. Well I don't wanna get you started since you already wanna tackle me lol.

You become what the Corps needs. If they need mortar men or assaultmen thats what you become.

Yeah I get that. Mortarmen play cards the most without any rifles lol.

They also have to hump base plates, tubes, sights, aimming stakes, bipods, ammo, their own personel trash, their TO&E weapons, section gear, dig in to set base plates, dig ammo and increment pits once they get into position. They have to learn to call for and coordinate fire and at some point will serve as FO's , provided they are good enough.

While TO&E says that 0341's rate side arms most carry a rifle as their issue weapons.

Naw bein a 0341 AIN'T NO SKATE and it ain't no joke.

Mortars are mortars. Javalins and SMAWS are rocket/missle launchers, 0351's play with those.

I wanna job where you run around. You know Marine corps. fun as long as I get to move around the field a lot.

Oh well yeah I can see where that's coming from. Well I guess I'd rather be a mortarman then an LAV crewman... driving in one of those vehicles. I mean maybe I can be an MP if they actually let you choose that instead of assign you to something within 03xx.

Nope if you enlist as an 03 YOU'LL BE AN 03. To be an MP you need to enlist in the 5800 Field.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._Corps_MOS#58_Military_Police_and_Corrections

Look
It
Up

I hope you'll show a little more resourcefulness once you actually get in.

Like running around? You'll hate it once you get in the Corps. You'll do so much running around... you will never see a mountain the same way ever again. Don't know about you but humping a 100lb pack and RUNNING over hill after hill isn't exactly "fun."

When I was writing the "wish list" the one thing I knew I would never list was "mortar man." I knew it didn't matter whether or not I wrote it but the whole idea of hauling a friggin' mortar over the regular stuff just didn't appeal to me very much.

Instead they gave me some NBC detection stuff that ended up weighing just as much.
Sometimes you just can't win.

Back