Prince William to join the army -

Read more about Oh, I wish I could be his drill sergeant.... LONDON, England -- Prince William, second in line to the British throne, is to follow his brother Prince Harry into the army

Military Medals Store

International Military Forums > >

User Name
Password

October 21st, 2005   #1
Team Infidel

Prince William to join the army info

Oh, I wish I could be his drill sergeant....

LONDON, England -- Prince William, second in line to the British throne, is to follow his brother Prince Harry into the army after gaining entry to the elite military academy Sandhurst, palace officials say.

The 23-year-old future king will be the most senior royal in recent history to train at the prestigious officer training college in Camberley, south of London.

He received the news that he had passed the Regular Commissions Board (RCB) selection process this morning, Clarence House said Friday.

William, who will be head of the armed forces when he becomes king, said he was "absolutely delighted" at the news, the Press Association reported. He took his entrance exam with 20 other candidates this week.

"I am absolutely delighted to have got over the first hurdle, but I am only too well aware, having spoken so much to Harry, that this is just the beginning," he said.

"I am really looking forward to taking my place alongside all the other cadets at Sandhurst."

William, who is upholding the tradition of royal military service, has previously insisted he wants to fight for his country.

Like Harry, his choice of the army differs from most of his relatives. His father, heir to the throne Prince Charles, trained to be a pilot with the Royal Air Force and also signed up to the Royal Navy.

William's grandfather, the Duke of Edinburgh, began his naval career in 1939. The Duke of York was in the navy for 22 years.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/europe...iam/index.html

October 21st, 2005   #2
phoenix80

Could RCB deny him entry?!

October 21st, 2005   #3
MightyMacbeth

hah

even if he gets the worst scores he will pass

~when a man does his best, what else is there? Gen.George S.Patton

October 23rd, 2005   #4
LeEnfield

With both Princes at Sandhurst it makes you wonder if the the Royal Navy has gone out of fashion.

LeEnfield Rides again

October 23rd, 2005   #5
Charge 7

I think it reflects Britain's position in the world now. The days of the British Navy guarding her ports across the globe are done. Today it's her land forces guarding their homeland and points overseas from threats abroad. Nothing I need tell you, I'm sure. Just making an observation on the topic.

"Do not forget your dogs of war, your big guns, which are the most-to-be respected arguments of the rights of kings."

- Frederick the Great, King of Prussia

October 23rd, 2005   #6
Fox

That's cool. I didn't know that.

October 23rd, 2005   #7
Navy Boy

Me nether.

October 24th, 2005   #8
Locke

well said charge

If I am asked what we are fighting for, I can reply in two sentences. In the first place, to fulfil a solemn international obligation . . . an obligation of honor which no self-respecting man could possibly have repudiated. I say, secondly, we are fighting to vindicate the principle that small nationalities are not to be crushed in defiance of international good faith at the arbitrary will of a strong and overmastering Power.
Author: Rt. Hon. Herbert Henry Asquith
Source: Statement, to House of Commons, Declaration of War with Germany, Aug. 4, 1914

October 24th, 2005   #9
Warwick

Poor old Uncle Edward couldn't hack the marines.
Not sure about Will but Harry is a tough little bugger.
Interesting to see what Reg they both want to end up in.

November 1st, 2005   #10
Bory

Would they be allowed to apply for 22. SAS?

"Even if I wished to surrender to you - and I don't - I am commanding Australian's who would cut my throat if I accepted your Terms" Colonel C Hore, Siege of Elands River, 1900

If You want to See the Future, Read a History Book

Tags
army, harry, prince, royal, william