Powerful Moments

Hmm, that is a really tough one...
One that I can think of is in "We Were Soldiers" (SPOILER) when the U.S. soldiers are charging the NVA camp, and all of a sudden the two slicks pop up out of nowhere and start blasting the NVA soldiers to :cen:
They just get torn upart.

the real richard winters in the last episode of "band of brothers" where he says the quote about not being a hero, but being in a company of them.
either that or in band of brothers when
*winters tells nixon, welsh and spiers that the war is over
*the commentary during the baseball game at the end

that remains, to date, the best thing i have seen on tv. full stop.

WannabeRanger said:
What is the most powerful moment that you have ever seen in a war movie.
The final scene in 'Ice Cold in Alex'
when the german agent bows to John Mills character, and John Mills sees the British dog tags he's still wearing. So John Mills pulls the dog-tags from his neck without anyone seeing, so that the German wouldn't be shot for being a spy
One of the most powerful and humane scenes in movie history.

Two scenes in Platoon. First one when Sergeant Elias gets shot whilst running back to the LZ
plat06.jpg

And the other would be the monlogue scene at the end of the movie when Chris says

"I think now, looking back, we did not fight the
enemy, we fought ourselves - and the enemy was in us
... The war is over for me now, but it will always be
there - the rest of my days. As I am sure Elias will
be - fighting with Barnes for what Rhah called
possession of my soul ... There are times since I
have felt like the child born of those two fathers
... but be that as it may, those of us who did make
it have an obligation to build again, to teach to
others what we know and to try with what's left of
our lives to find a goodness and meaning to this life "

I think it's a pretty stirring movie because it doesn't glorify war and there are no real heros or villians, just a bunch of guys frightened and wanting to go home.

Just thought of another one. The movie Breaker Morant about the Boer War. Two Aussie soldiers are sentenced to death by firing squad. They hold hands when they are shot, mateship to the end.

In Saving Private Ryan, the end scene from when they get to the city, to when Captain Miller dies. The battles and dialogue in between are awesome and moving. :cowb:

Hmm, hard to say!

But in Saving Private Ryan

SPOILER

at the end there, when the two US soldiers ran out of MG ammo and one of them calls out "Opum!" as they hear someone coming up the stairs, and then shoots the wall- up to the point to when the german slowly drives the knife through his heart.

Pretty tense stuff.

It was from the WWI movie "Paths of Glory".

The movie was about French unit acused of cowardice, were they had to pick men from their own unit to be put to a firring squad.

There was this scene where the French soldiers were at a large pub. They had captured a German girl from the border, and they were making her sing for their entertainment. You could tell she was really scared to be up and in front of all those French soldiers, further more she didn't speak French. After prodding and pushing her to sing a song, she finally sang something (I forgot what, but it was one of those songs everyone knows). She started singing it in German and the French knew it too and started singing along in French.
As the singing went on, the camera panned on the faces of each of the soldiers in the room. One by one, you could really see in their faces, as they sang the song, how much they missed their wives, daughters, lovers, loved ones and their homes. It was as if that German girl had all of a sudden become their daugther or sister, or someone that reminded them of something close to their hearts. It was one of the most moving scenes I have ever seen in any movie. I was watching it with my mom a while back, and she normally doesn't war movies, but when she watched that scene she started to cry.

when an arial remake of a war movie takes a shot of 100,000 chinese troops destorying the last of the nationlsit armh in teh battle of huaihai

I recommend this movie, to people of all nations, since it had thousands of actors participating in it and it is specticular in terms of realism

Back