POW Camp in Michigan

Smyrnami

I am looking for anyone who knows anything about the POW camp in Lake Odessa, Michigan. There was a canning company there who allowed the Army to set up the camp behind their plant. Most of the workers were used in the cannery, but many also were transported out to area muck farmers and fruit orchards. I am a local historian and wish to write a paper on this camp.

Many thanks,
Kim

POW camp in Fort Custer

That camp I believe was sponsored by the main camp at Fort Custer. I would check with them to gain some furhter information.

Fort Custer National Cemetary has some grave sites that hold German POW's. There is a lot of information about all of the activities that Fort Custer had about their POWs. It is only a little drive from Lake Odessa.

Good luck on your finds,

Lucus J Reaser

Thank you for your reply

Hello Lucus,

Many thanks for your reply. I would like to visit Fort Custer, it's just a matter of time. I will get there someday.

Have a great Independence Day!
Kim

POW Camps

Apparently the POW camp in Lake Odessa is on some type of clean up list.
http://www.gao.gov/gao-01-1012sp/MI.html

The have to have some type of documentation in order to even make the list so maybe even Lansing may have some information for you. I know that now you are being sent in two directions, I am just trying to help.

Back