Pete Pace For Senate?

phoenix80

Banned
Pete Pace For Senate?
[SIZE=-1]Human Events, DC - 2 Oct 2007[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]One name that has been the subject of speculation is that of General Peter Pace, who officially stepped down as chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. ...[/SIZE]

I am curious as to why? The man is a career soldier, what makes him qualified for such a job. What experience does he have in politics (except perhaps on military matters), on the law, in public relations (some here I assume) on government.

Historically, career military men have made poor politicians (there are of course exceptions). He has a MBA, it sounds like he be better off in the private sector.

Besides, he's from a fairly liberal state (New Jersey) and his views on homosexuality would not go over very well there.

Besides, he's from a fairly liberal state (New Jersey) and his views on homosexuality would not go over very well there.

I didn't think his political views had been presented yet?

Who knows he could be ideal for the state.

The Generals political fortunes are slaved to Iraq, no natter what his Political Views may be, but, I do not think the White House would have picked him for the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs unless he was in line with the Republican Party, I know I personally view him as a Party Line Republican, but I do not vote in New Jersey, so I do not worry about it.

Last edited:

General Pace said on at least 2 occasions whilst he was Head of the JCS that he viewed homosexuality to be 'immoral'. That will work in the bible-belt but it won't in New Jersey where the last governor himself was gay and had a gay lover. Those types of comments wont fly there. And you can be sure his oppenents will be sure to mention it.

Speaking of his opponent, he as ZERO chance of beating Frank Lautenburg (a very popular + powerful Democrat). He would have to wait until 2012 to face Bob Menendes who is much weaker, but still beat his last GOP opponent by 11%.

I dont live in NJ but my bedroom window looks out over it. NJ is a purple state, but its center-left. All the GOP candidates who have gotten anywhere near Trenton have done so on a liberal-moderate platform. Which as Gator said is not the case with Gen. Pace.

He has no chance. especially as he will face Lautenburg who himself is a Vietnam war hero (until the Swift boats come get him). I mean what platform is Pace going to run on? The fantastic job he did in Iraq? The whole reason he is leaving the JCS is because the Dems in Congress cannot stand him and he has no chance of confimation.

He wont run. Not in NJ at least. He should stay in the Private sector.

Last edited:
Plus the fact that the Republicans would have to dump tons of money into a fight to use General Pace in a bid to unseat Senator Lautenberg, with all those other States the Republicans must fight hard and spend big just to keep.

Back