Parachute wing?

D.J

Banned
parawings001.jpg

I found this wing at a local market in Belgium. Does anyone know what it is? It seems like a SAS type.

parawings001.jpg

I found this wing at a local market in Belgium. Does anyone know what it is? It seems like a SAS type.

Looks like South African Defense Force Hunter Group Parachute Wings, they were formed in 1968 and disbanded in 1974 so you have a fairly small time frame on that one.
They werent SAS as such but were an early counter-insurgency unit trained in guerilla warfare, patrolling, tracking, bushcraft, and intelligence gathering.

The only problem is that there are a number of fake ones out there (not that I could tell the difference).

Looks like South African Defense Force Hunter Group Parachute Wings, they were formed in 1968 and disbanded in 1974 so you have a fairly small time frame on that one.
They werent SAS as such but were an early counter-insurgency unit trained in guerilla warfare, patrolling, tracking, bushcraft, and intelligence gathering.

The only problem is that there are a number of fake ones out there (not that I could tell the difference).

32 Battalion and the Recces were South Africa's top counter insurgency units equal to any special forces around the world. The wings are as Monty stated South Africa parabats as they prefer to be called.

Thank you gentlemen.
South Africa was not in my thoughts. I suspect it is a reproduction.

This is indeed the design of the South African Hunter Group, but it is not original. I have an original in my collection, and it difffers in size and fabric from the fakes on the market. I have not yet seen a fake that came even close to the original, maybe because they are so rare that no fake artist has one to use as master.

Back