overweight!!!! HELP!!!

I am running 2-3 marathons a year, but I couldn't lose any weight, until I cut down considerably on carbs!!
I am overweight(5'10" 220)
I have excluded all bread, potatoes, sweets, etc.
Just sereal on some mornings. Everything else - proteins and veggies.
I have got from 240 to 210 in 5 months
Another good tip - avoid caffeine and try to get at least, 7 hours of sleep.
Sleep deprived people tend to eat more...

Brown is good white is bad... whole wheat, brown rice, NO PROCESSED FOODS.

NO SUGAR, NO CANDY, only FRUIT, fresh NOT CANNED.

SMALL PORTIONS AND INCREASE THE PHYSICAL ACTIVITY.

There are no shortcuts... I know because I've tried that route. Doesn't work. There is no easy way. If you (original poster) REALLY REALLY want it you will do the hard work and get it. Ass cream and plastic wrap will land you in the hospital just as overweight as you are now. Don't do it and I would suggest you find a different recruiter, one who is more interested in helping you instead of this asshat you have now who is just trying to hit his number for the month at the expense of your health.

Right on, bulldogg, any kind of chemical solution for weight loss should be taken with the whole damned salt shaker. Run, jog, swim, do some kind of aerobic exercise to lose weight (running is probably the best, next to swimming). Fresh fruits and vegetables, cut back the meat. If you want a middle ground on wheat bread, that honey-wheat stuff is pretty darn good. Dirty or brown rice is good with a stew or gumbo. Cut back to three meals of small portions and restrict the carbohydrate intake as much as possible.

As for the exercise, go with boris's advice and get a lot of rest- your body probably isn't used to that kind of physical activity, and inadequate rest or improper exercise _will_ damage your body. It is not a fun experience to have a sports injury, be strung out from lack of sleep, and still try to function and get a workout.

Also, watch your electrolyte intake and make sure your diet is good for your exercise type. I can attest that an electrolyte or salt imbalance is NOT fun for swimming or running any distance.

Last edited:
listen to those guys sas3489.

I lost 20 pounds in a week. I was sick though. I did not exercise, but I never did eat a lot at that week. I ate about 3 meals a day. My breakfast was nothing more than tea and a few biscuits. My lunch was just tea again, or just soda, like sprite, and an apple. My dinner was mashed potatoes or just cooked ones. Drink was the same. Oh and I ate yogurt with each meal.
But after all, I lost 20 pounds in one week, just eating that. I did get hungry, but I lived. :smil:

Good luck

Yeah, Mighty. I lost ten in two days, just from having the flu and hunting in weather than went from 14 to 60 in a day. Crazy, man. It is not a healthy thing to do.

It may not be healthy, but it works...the not eating thing

I wasn't sick of anything, I just don't eat sometimes

hahaha that's funny.
Cutting down on carbs is a HUGE contributor to weight loss. That's what I cut down on when I gained some weight after my knee injury and it worked a beauty.

So predictable I knew you someone was going to say that, just saying thats probably what happened, not saying I blame anyone for the advice, nor do I agree with your statement

Im just stating the obvious :D

Last edited by a moderator:
The Roughness Is sorta how it is here....They did the same thing to me, I heeded the words they gave me and they helped.

~Chyll

:horsie::horsie:

My advice would be to do a major detox and run run run. Do some fat burning excercises... ( Run 40 mins alternating between fast walking and fast running e.g Sprint 2 mins, then brisk walk 2 mins visa versa for the full 40 mins)... this will seriously bring down the calories and isnt as 'boring' as just running if thats your problem. This brings your fitness up really quick, I did it for a good while coming up to a marathon. Ive done a few and it seems to work for me, so hopefully will for you.

You should be running a min of 3 mile 5 times a week, but in your case try do 3 everyday. Which really is nothing. Dont worry if you cant make the full three you'll make it tomorrow and keep adding on each day, if you need to stop running just change it into a quick walk. As long as you stay going your burning fat. Did you get your body fat % checked out? Cos thats something that is really important as well.
Dont worry about the inches if they're not coming as quick, keep at it and they will. You need to stay positive. Sounds like you need to completely change your diet. Cut out dairy completely and carbs. Carbs aint nobodies friend :) Especially if your training. Keep a food diary if you dont know where your going wrong. And not eating...is just stupid full stop. Its a short term method that in short is for people with no will power, so dont even think about it.
Since your a woman expecially you need to a lot of upper body work Id imagine (like myself :) I used to be terrible at those push pull pt tests ) so start working on that asap, push ups/pull ups/push & pull whatever works for you.

Take up something like kickboxing/pilates. Circuits are a godsend! Yoga is a great one to help with your flexiblity as well. Rather than just having the goal of losing the weight think long term. No point in losing it and not been fit. Your going in an active lifestyle.
In case you think Im talking outa my ass...I got into the police force ( and was in the Irish version of rotc) here (turned it down to become a pilot) so I know what the pt tests are like. Although Im sure yours is harder.

Also to the PEAR shaped comment boys....Here's news for ye....Some women are just PEAR SHAPED! :p
P.S I could be late on this one...let us know how you get on. Best of luck. If you want any more advice pm me ;)
Maria

Oh and I dont think she was scared off, I reckon she's out running. Atta girl :)

Last edited:
I would need to agree w/ the detox - you would be amazed how much you sh*t out in a week! Not to mention it preps your body for the torture your about to put it through! Don't spend a lot of money @ GNC on the over the counter stuff - check out the lemonade diet, it will clean you out and you drop roughly a pound a day. When you come off the diet, your body will be better equipped to shed the additional weight.
Nothing compares to a good exercise program though, start slow build a good base, you will be fine.
:hide:

and especially cut the lipids. Cut all candy, soft drinks, etc. out of your diet. It's the adipose tissue that's really going to be a problem once you work off the excess water weight.

Back