Otokar's KOBRA multi-purpose IFV (with Spike ATGM)

Lunatik

There are many different versions of Kobra that are suitable for various kinds of missions. These vehicles were also used very effectively by Georgia while defending against the recent Russian aggression. It's exported to 10 countries. This thing's probably the most mod-able IFV ever produced anywhere on the planet. Armored. Highly maneuverable. Powerful 4 x 4. Cheaper than many less-capable competitors. Install whatever weapon platform or sensors you desire and it'll perform perfectly. Hell, there's even an amphibious variant!

ATGM Version with Spike
Cobra%2012,7mm%20and%20Spike%20ATGM.jpg

Aphibious Version
cobra_amphibical.jpg

cobra_07.jpg

With 20mm Auto
Otokar_Cobra_Nexter_20mm_Gun_Turkish_IDEF_2007_001.jpg

With Radar
akrep_03.jpg

Full Recon Version
Cobra%20MARS-V%20on%20hilltop.jpg

On Patrol With Various Manned Turrets
Otokar_Cobra_4x4_Turkish_Army.jpg

This vehicle is definitely the poor man's tank, I'm telling you. :smil:

LOL, yeah, surely they're not exactly tank hunters, but I don't know; considering its speed and maneuverability, I think it could inflict serious damage to a tank provided that it's got a good crew who knows the terrain, some smoke launchers and a couple of Spike ATGMs. But yeah, they're fine IFVs in general, can be modded to suit any mission and situation.

APC not IFV

Nice vehicle, but it's a APC as a Infantry Fighting Vehicle can fight other IFV's (warrior, bradley, LAV III etc). The cobra APC can only mount MG's in its troop carrying role as it has Humvee automotive components and would be over weight with any thing bigger. The cobras with ATGW's use this weapons for defence, not for tank hunting.

The point was to produce a modular 4x4 base vehicle that can be used for every mission type the army requires. Cobra does this perfectly. Also, its V-shaped hull and special suspension system has proven surprisingly effective against certain mines and IEDs.

A cobra explosives test video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZz7jssPBQU

Saves lives. :m1:

Cast hull

The cobra is not modular as it has a steel cast hull. This means each type needs its own hull for the task reqiured, not a swap of a modular component. Also a 4.8 ton 4x4 can not be used for all the tasks that any army may need to complete. There is a good reason why only the country that made them (Turkey) and Nigeria use them in numbers in their armys. Other users have cobras in the police and in Georgia's case, 100 with the interior ministry (but 2 lost to russia and unknown number captured by South Ossetia).

He must be referring to a guided anti-tank missile that defends the launching platform by destroying the enemy tank. But that is by no means tank hunting. :smil:

Watch Spike defend against a tank: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdDOHgcLGRI

The cobra is not modular as it has a steel cast hull. This means each type needs its own hull for the task reqiured, not a swap of a modular component. Also a 4.8 ton 4x4 can not be used for all the tasks that any army may need to complete. There is a good reason why only the country that made them (Turkey) and Nigeria use them in numbers in their armys. Other users have cobras in the police and in Georgia's case, 100 with the interior ministry (but 2 lost to russia and unknown number captured by South Ossetia).

The only hull that is somewhat different from the rest is the amphibic version, the rest feature the same identical hull. Only turrets, sensors and mission loads are different. That is what I meant by modular design. For instance, when the situation requires, the MG turret can be taken off and replaced with a Spike turret. Or the Intel mod can be replaced with a C4I mod, etc, etc. Also, almost all the cobras are being used by MILITARY units in their respective countries.

Same hull different mods...
15d6vrs.jpg

7602.jpg

A cobra in use by the Slovenian Army:
2906.jpg

Now, are you telling me that the above vehicle belongs to Slovenia's police force? Ah, lol, come ooon! :D

Last edited:
hulls the same?

Have a look at at the recon cobras hull and see if its the same as the APC, but you are right, all 10 of slovenias cobras are going to the army and if they like them they may buy more. As for ATGW's in defence, I meant in defence of the whole mounted infantry unit not single vehicles. I can't see any units using APC's as tank hunters with a section in the back.

Last edited:
sounds like a good use for the cobra, I had a look though one when I was in Turkey in '99. Just put some ammo racks in place of the seats and you would be all set, there's a lot of room in the back but you might want a small hatch behind the RWS to speed up reloading.

sounds like a good use for the cobra, I had a look though one when I was in Turkey in '99. Just put some ammo racks in place of the seats and you would be all set, there's a lot of room in the back but you might want a small hatch behind the RWS to speed up reloading.
Yes a hatch would be advised:)

Back