ok here is a weird one

danthepirate

k this idea just popped into my head.

which war, out of all the wars that have happened over the centuries do you think had the most impact on those it affected? I know this is a pretty general and broad query but hey, thought I'd ask.

:tank:

What do you think? WWII! It ensured the USA's place in history, it saw many technological advancements, and was the bloodiest war in history.

civil war...aye twas a very bloody war. not quite as much as the wwII but a very bloody war. it had great effects, a nation divided then reunited and a lot of dead people, father vs son brother vs bro. and all that. nice one

danthepirate said:
civil war...aye twas a very bloody war. not quite as much as the wwII but a very bloody war. it had great effects, a nation divided then reunited and a lot of dead people, father vs son brother vs bro. and all that. nice one

Yes, but many other countries had civil wars (some have had multiple ones). It also effected on people with a signifigant loss of life, 600,000 dead, but if you said one people WWII is still the answer. Over 6,000,000 Jewish people were killed.

Desert_Eagle said:
danthepirate said:

Yes, but many other countries had civil wars (some have had multiple ones). It also effected on people with a signifigant loss of life, 600,000 dead, but if you said one people WWII is still the answer. Over 6,000,000 Jewish people were killed.

dude, im not trying to argue here. wwII was the worst war in the history as far as im concerened, this thread is about ohter wars as well, not only wwII but all the wars over the generations! i chalange people to find some more wars and add to this thread!

Desert_Eagle said:
Arclight said:
The conquest of the Americas by most of the European nations had a tremendous effect on the world.

That too, but could it be considered a war?

I thought about that. The Native Americans no doubt resisted the Europeans and Americans through battle for the most part, but I am not quite sure whether or not they actually declared war. But these days, war isn't necessarily marked by a formal declaration of war. So, in my opinion, I do believe they could be considered wars.

Upon further speculation, I think that the conquest of the Americas cannot be classified as one big war. Rather, one would think about individual tribes or alliances fighting the Europeans in their respective area. My first post should be disregarded, as it is not a war, rather a group of wars.

Far-reaching war

For the sake of argument, I would say that the Seven Years War(or French and Indian War - or the First world war as has been suggested) may have had the most far reaching effect on both the combatants and the world around those combatants. It established England as the dominant force on the North American continent and set up the English presence in India and Asia. Just considering the alternative is harrowing and possibly the closest I can think of that would come close would be the wars against the Muslim expansion into Europe.

I'm going with the Atomic age, WWII. The whole world will be suffering over this one as long as there is one left. :cry:

Arclight said:
Desert_Eagle said:
Arclight said:
The conquest of the Americas by most of the European nations had a tremendous effect on the world.

I thought about that. The Native Americans no doubt resisted the Europeans and Americans through battle for the most part, but I am not quite sure whether or not they actually declared war. But these days, war isn't necessarily marked by a formal declaration of war. So, in my opinion, I do believe they could be considered wars.

Upon further speculation, I think that the conquest of the Americas cannot be classified as one big war. Rather, one would think about individual tribes or alliances fighting the Europeans in their respective area. My first post should be disregarded, as it is not a war, rather a group of wars.

There was the 40 year indian war fought by the US.

And responding to the above post. It created a new nation, but it wasn't recognized as a world power until the peak of the industrial age. I'll stick with WWII. It began the Nuclear age, killed many people, all of Europe was conquered (and taken back), it gave birth to the Soviet Union we read about in text books as a tyrannical regime, it saw more war crimes than any other war, and it created the UN and soon after created the country of Israel.

Desert_Eagle said:
Arclight said:
Desert_Eagle said:
Arclight said:

Upon further speculation, I think that the conquest of the Americas cannot be classified as one big war. Rather, one would think about individual tribes or alliances fighting the Europeans in their respective
area. My first post should be disregarded, as it is not a war, rather a group of wars.

There was the 40 year indian war fought by the US.

And responding to the above post. It created a new nation, but it wasn't recognized as a world power until the peak of the industrial age. I'll stick with WWII. It began the Nuclear age, killed many people, all of Europe was conquered (and taken back), it gave birth to the Soviet Union we read about in text books as a tyrannical regime, it saw more war crimes than any other war, and it created the UN and soon after created the country of Israel.

yes you are right i thingk WWII wins

good arguements everybody

Most affecting? Least affecting?

Just as a contrast to the previous posts - I'd like to offer up the Falklands/Malvinas war as perhaps the war which has had the LEAST affect on the people of the nations who participated.

Back