NZ still long way off becoming republic - PM

Infern0

Banned
New Zealand has made great strides in the 100 years since it became a "dominion", but it is still a long way off becoming a republic, Prime Minister Helen Clark says.
Happy birthday to New Zealand

Academics, politicians and other public figures gathered for a symposium at Parliament today – marking 100 years since then prime minister Joseph Ward symbolically proclaimed the country was no longer a colony of the British Empire.
The country eventually became fully independent in 1947.
Miss Clark today told delegates New Zealand had made great progress in the 100 years since it had become a dominion – embracing diversity and forging a unique identity.
But she later told reporters that she believed the next step – moving to a republic – was a long way off.
"I think New Zealanders generally take the view, `if it aint broke then don't fix it', and things tend to work as they are," she said.
" So the debate about republicanism is not one that people are seized of at the moment."
Asked if she would run for president in the event New Zealand became a republic, Miss Clark said it was "likely to be so far in the future that probably won't be a consideration".
In her speech to delegates Miss Clark said the most significant change over the past 100 years in terms of the country's identity was the willingness of New Zealanders to acknowledge the place of Maori and to embrace growing cultural diversity.
Much of the country's identity was shaped by its actions on the world stage including its anti-nuclear policy, its peacekeeping operations and foreign aid.
It was also shaped by its rich natural heritage, which it was important to preserve through sustainable environmental policies.
"The importance of being sustainable may well come to be seen as a core New Zealand value this century."
United Future leader Peter Dunne, who has campaigned for a nationally themed public holiday for years, said Dominion Day would be a good choice for a "New Zealand Day".
But Miss Clark scotched the idea, saying Waitangi Day and Anzac Day were already defacto national days and another was not needed.
New Zealand became a dominion just six years after it decided not to join the Australian federation across the Tasman.
The change was symbolic and did not affect the way it was governed. It had already been self governing since the 1850s and officially it remained a colony.
To celebrate the day in 1907, Parliament's buildings were decorated with lights using the then novel electricity, spelling out an "Advance New Zealand" slogan and all public servants were given the day off.
To mark the 100 year anniversary the front of the Parliamentary Library will again be lit up.
In 1945, NZ joined the United Nations, without using the prefix "Dominion of" , and dropped the term from its official letterheads in 1946. Sixty years ago, on November 25, 1947, Parliament formalised the nation's independence by adopting Britain's Statute of Westminster, and two weeks later, on December 10, the British Parliament ratified NZ's power to amend its own constitution.

Personally I hope we are closer to becoming a republic than she thinks, while I have no real issues with the monarchy other than thinking they have become irrelevant outside the UK I do believe that a move away from our colonial past would facilitate a "One People" mentality or at least remove the road blocks preventing the mentality.

In the end though I am prepared to bet that we will follow Australia on this issue.

"I
think New Zealanders generally take the view, `if it aint broke then don't fix it'

:thumb: 100% agree, we are under the crown and should stay that way. There is no point becoming a republic, if you want that go live in the US, and see how wonderful it is.

I was born under the crown, and my loyality is to the Queen not some wannabe king.

And that Clarke woman and bite her a** too.

"I

:thumb: 100% agree, we are under the crown and should stay that way. There is no point becoming a republic, if you want that go live in the US, and see how wonderful it is.

I was born under the crown, and my loyality is to the Queen not some wannabe king.

And that Clarke woman and bite her a** too.

Just out of interest why do you have loyalty to the queen?

I have no beef with the monarchy and would not lead a republican campaign because I just don't care enough but whether I am saluting a king/queen or president makes no difference to me they are all just figureheads.

Just out of interest why do you have loyalty to the queen?.

Because I am a commonwealth citizen and I swore an oath to the Queen, I am one of her subjects.

Of course I am loyal to her.

Or have people forgotten the oath they swear to when joining the forces.

Queen and country.

@ Bulldog, to some, maybe those who have lost the sense of who they are.

Last edited:
Serious question. If she dies and is replaced by a king must you retake the oath? Legal contractual language and all that an oath implies makes me wonder.

I've often thought, not implying you Kiwi, that people who prefer monarchies over republican forms of government do so because the way in which the crown is passed on relieves the common citizen of a sense of responsibility should the king or queen stuff things up. Whereas in a republican government the electorate bears the responsibility for their elected leaders faux pas.

Nope, the oath is "to serve her sovereign lady the queen, her heirs and successors".

However to answer Kiwi's question about remembering the armed forces oath I would also like to point out that the oath has an out clause, the last part of the oath states "and that I will loyally observe and obey all orders of Her Majesty, Her heirs and successors, and of the officers set over me, until I shall be lawfully discharged" I left the "so help me god" part out as I signed the non-religious version.

But I guess this is splitting hairs as I am relatively certain that the oath is less important than the wishes of the nation therefore if New Zealand chooses to become a republic I strongly doubt the military will defend the crowns interests.

Last edited:
I think being a republic will come in time to both New Zealand and Australia, but like Monty don't give a fig either way. I'm already proud of my country and don't see what difference having a Queen or a President will make. For me the only deciding factor would be cost, if it is cheaper to remain as we are, stay that way, if a republic offers financial savings, let's consider it.

As for the Monarchy, I figure Liz hasn't done too badly, she doesn't interfere too much and costs us nothing except for visits as does any other visiting dignitary. The rest of them are somewhat lesser mortals, with the exception of Princess Anne, she has more "balls" than all of the Royal males put together. I learned to really like "Annie" many years ago when she was observed at some polo match with her children. It appears that one was playing up, so,... after a warning, she ups and grabs him by the arm and delivered several good hard whacks around the bum, then gave him a talking to. Problem solved.

When we do become a Republic, one thing I do not want to see is a President with any obvious political connections.

I agree completely.

Although if she kicked Charles for touch I think I would be a little more supportive of the monarchy I have a fair amount of respect for Andrew.

Last edited:
Serious question. If she dies and is replaced by a king must you retake the oath? Legal contractual language and all that an oath implies makes me wonder.

I've often thought, not implying you Kiwi, that people who prefer monarchies over republican forms of government do so because the way in which the crown is passed on relieves the common citizen of a sense of responsibility should the king or queen stuff things up. Whereas in a republican government the electorate bears the responsibility for their elected leaders faux pas.

LOL Bulldog in a way yes you are right, people have this ability to find someone to blame for the mistakes that occur. Other than excepting some of the fault themselves.

And a Royal family is an easy out. lack of understanding of the role of the crown is the biggest mistake these republicans make. They beleive the Queen has no role in the laws of New Zealand and is just a figure head. Its as simple to explain as a COE of a multi national company, just because you don't see things happening doesnot mean theres nothing happening.

New Zealand is strongly tied even now to Britian. The present system has not hurt NZ in any way, there is no possible benefit for a republic. Its just people who wish to change history for the sake of it.

The benfit of a Royal family is that the same lot are there all the time, they know the system and they work within it. Having a Republic you might as well have Mickey Mouse running the show, they have no history, or prior knowledge of the land and what it really requires.

PM's prove that point, each term the stuff up the country, Howard with his nutty idea's in Australia best example you have. Hell even the USA had Reagan, nice bloke but has massive memory loss while still in power. Goes to prove Republics are there solely as show ponys.

You can have the peoples vote because they buy it, or have the mob fix it to win.

If I am going to have a complete tosser in charge at least keep the same one, its far easier to live under a system that remains the same, than one that changes every so many terms.

You might be guessing I hate change and you will be right.

Princess Anne, she has more "balls" than all of the Royal males put together

Bang on Spike 8)

I particularly liked the number of "arty craftys" who came out of the woodwork with their designs for a new flag for when we become a republic. This all fell apart in the end when a couple of them started a great bun fight over who actually "owned" one or more of the designs, effectively waking up all but the most strident republicans as to what was actually going on.

Yeah,... my dad designed the new flag y'know.

Last edited:
Thanks Kiwi, I'm feeling educated already reading this convo. The politeness in exchange of ideas is almost sickening.
:)

I agree completely.

Although if she kicked Charles for touch I think I would be a little more supportive of the monarchy I have a fair amount of respect for Andrew.

You brute!, how could you speak of the heir apparent in such a way?

I reckon they should give him and Camilla a pair of butterfly nets and cast them adrift to do whatever it is that they do. Charles underwhelms me sump'n 'orrible.

LOL Bulldog in a way yes you are right, people have this ability to find someone to blame for the mistakes that occur. Other than excepting some of the fault themselves.

And a Royal family is an easy out. lack of understanding of the role of the crown is the biggest mistake these republicans make. They beleive the Queen has no role in the laws of New Zealand and is just a figure head. Its as simple to explain as a COE of a multi national company, just because you don't see things happening doesnot mean theres nothing happening.

New Zealand is strongly tied even now to Britian. The present system has not hurt NZ in any way, there is no possible benefit for a republic. Its just people who wish to change history for the sake of it.

The benfit of a Royal family is that the same lot are there all the time, they know the system and they work within it. Having a Republic you might as well have Mickey Mouse running the show, they have no history, or prior knowledge of the land and what it really requires.

PM's prove that point, each term the stuff up the country, Howard with his nutty idea's in Australia best example you have. Hell even the USA had Reagan, nice bloke but has massive memory loss while still in power. Goes to prove Republics are there solely as show ponys.

You can have the peoples vote because they buy it, or have the mob fix it to win.

If I am going to have a complete tosser in charge at least keep the same one, its far easier to live under a system that remains the same, than one that changes every so many terms.

You might be guessing I hate change and you will be right.

Well I am happy to have the Queen as head of state for as long as she is the Queen however I am somewhat less enthusiastic about being lead by a man that wants to be a tampon.
It is my hope and belief that the day Charles becomes king New Zealand will decide to grow up, leave home and take control of its own future, we will always have a history that is entwined with that of Britain and the Commonwealth but that is where it ends.

I have listened to the arguments for and against Republicanism and on the whole like all political exercises they are driven by self interest but I don't believe that "we shouldn't become a republic because we would have to pay another politician" is a good enough reason not to become one after all we already pay a Governor General to perform a symbolic role of representing the monarch why shouldn't we pay a president to represent New Zealand's instead.

You brute!, how could you speak of the heir apparent in such a way?

I reckon they should give him and Camilla a pair of butterfly nets and cast them adrift to do whatever it is that they do. Charles underwhelms me sump'n 'orrible.

Oddly enough if Chuck was to step aside for which ever of his kids is next in line for the job I would be probably be a lot less pro-republic the thought of that guy as head of state does nothing for me at all.

Last edited:
Thanks Kiwi, I'm feeling educated already reading this convo. The politeness in exchange of ideas is almost sickening.
:)
I can almost feel you going *fight fight fight you buggers* :wink:

Well I am happy to have the Queen as head of state for as long as she is the Queen however I am somewhat less enthusiastic about being lead by a man that wants to be a tampon

I am in agreement, apart from the tampon comment, I have no idea what you mean, and really I kinda think I will that slip passed me.

Charlie I can't see as a king, and I think Liz is holding onto the crown long enough of his sons to take over.

But then again I wasn't at all impressed with that Diana's lot. She was nothing else but a commoner, he should of married the maid, far better class.

I would be happy just to see the queen out I reckon, she has given so much of her life to the realm its only fitting she keeps the crown to the end.

Yeah,... my dad designed the new flag y'know.

Really, well thats very nice. Do you have a copy of it, I can't remember what was the new Aussie flag, Kiwis had the silver fern on it, which I did like, better than some maori design.

^^^That was my sarcastic side imagining what the arty craftys would all be wanting to say.^^^ Bragging rights.

ium just going to echo the thoughts of the others here;

i probably lean slightly toward the republican side...but again, lizzie doesn't cause me any problems.

but by the same token my oath of service didn't ring true for me....i wouldn'
t fight for a figure head thousands of miles away...i fight for my country, and my mates, and for what's right....but not the queen. because she doesn't MEAN anything to me.

but hey, thats just me

Back