NZ still long way off becoming republic - PM

No idea, it was just the first internationally recognised news source in my google search and I tend to avoid blogs when trying to prove a point as they have no ethical standard to meet and are therefore easy to pull apart.

Last edited:
Commies have standards too Kiwi.
Yeeesss they do and it worked pretty well in Russia, China and Cuba.
And Guess which countries I am not in ........:p

And yes there is going to be no red sharing this bed mate ;-)

Reminds me of doco I watch years ago about commie Russia, it was based around this jar making factory. Each fella had a job to do down the line, and they just did what they got paid to do. Fair Enough we all shout. :smil:

But this one fella in the middle never quite had the nack of his machine, and the jars were a little smaller than they should be. but the fellas after him had the job of labels, lids and packing.

So the continued finishing these jars even tho they were unless. Because no one had the the job of quality control, so for years the jars were wrong.

The commie attitude was, it didn't matter because instead of closing a factory that created bad products, they still keep this 50 odd blokes employed and paid. Have 50 odd families still with food and a home.

Point being the even if a system has a fault in it, it can do some good for some people. Now theres no more Red Russia that factory is closed down, those men are out of work, and their familys suffer.

Commies have there place, as long as the stay in it :smil:

A century after New Zealand proclaimed itself a loyal Dominion of the British Empire, the country is still technically a "dominion", or self-governing colony, say legal experts.

The dominion status proclamation, which upgraded New Zealand from a "colony" to the marginally less downtrodden status of "dominion", took effect 100 years ago on Wednesday, and has never been revoked, even though Britain's right to pass laws on our behalf ended in 1947.
Now Greens leader Jeanette Fitzsimons is calling for the country to formally shuck off this tie to the long-gone British Empire.
According to background papers for a symposium on Dominion Day at parliament last week, "New Zealand's formal title may therefore still include the term 'dominion"'.
"It remains technically in force," said constitutional expert Alison Quentin-Baxter. She said the government shied away from revoking the title in the 50s because of fears it would stir up divisions. "New Zealand really had a very deep attachment to Britain."
Historians have long remarked on New Zealand's extreme reluctance to move from a junior player in the empire to a grown up, independent nation.
New Zealand initially refused to ratify the 1931 British Statute of Westminster, which removed Britain's right to legislate for the dominions. Only in 1947 did New Zealand agree, the last dominion to do so. After that "dominion" quietly faded from government use, to be replaced by the "Realm of New Zealand".
Revoking the proclamation would require a decision by the Executive Council (a committee of government ministers), and then a statement by the governor-general.
Quentin-Baxter said to do so could still be divisive, because of what might be read into it. "It would be seen by some people to signal there was an intention of making New Zealand a republic," she said.
Prime Minister Helen Clark said through a spokeswoman that revoking the title "was not under consideration at this time".

I think someone is playing with history here because even if there was some residual connection to British government it was effectively killed off by the 1986 Constitutional Act.

The New Zealand Constitution Act of 1986 replaced both the Statue of Westminster (1931) and the New Zealand Constitution Act of 1852, in effect it renamed the General Assembly as the "House of Representatives" and removed the right of the British government to legislate at the consent of the New Zealand Parliament.

Thus making us a fully self governing nation.

http://www.adls.org.nz/public/public50/nzls05/nzls52/adls53/

Last edited:
Lets not dwell on the past. Let us look to the future. New Zealand should abolish itself and the north and south islands should become two new states of Australia. It just makes good sense.

Lets not dwell on the past. Let us look to the future. New Zealand should abolish itself and the north and south islands should become two new states of Australia. It just makes good sense.

Why make 2 new states when we can make one new province out of Australia.

I am all for a union of countries I just don't know why you would want to join us.

Arrhhh let me think no. We are a nation to ourselves, why would we want to become Australia?

We have our own laws, own culture. No way would it even be advisable to join nations, and we would have to pick up all the bad faults Australia has.

We are the land of milk and honey, Australia the land of cows and bees.

If anything Australia should abolish itself and become part of New Zealand and remain the West Island it is. :cheers:

Wadda ya mean, New Zealand is only where you Kiwi's go for holidays isn't it?

"Kiwiland" is actually in the Eastern suburbs of Sydney.:-? Been there and done that. When I last visited New Zealand it was full of Aussie tourists getting away from the Kiwi's
rotfl1.gif

i'm going to be "that guy" and make a serious issue out of a joke;

Australia's treatment of the aborigines mean i would fight such a move tooth and nail

"Kiwiland" is actually in the Eastern suburbs of Sydney.:-? Been there and done that. When I last visited New Zealand it was full of Aussie tourists getting away from the Kiwi's
rotfl1.gif

Hmmm Aussies tourists here?
I didn't notice an increase in the crime rate how long ago was this?

Besides I think you have completely misinterpreted the facts on this one, we have invaded Bondi and now that the beachhead is secure we are breaking out.

:)

rotfl1.gif

LMAO yes I think it is many hit Sydneys shores thats for sure.

We are the worlds play ground :drunkb:

And Spikie honey Aussie dosh is as good as any :mrgreen:

Next time you want to give a kiwi money remember me 8)

Attachments

• kiw.jpg
    kiw.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 1
Back