NPR Fires Juan Williams

So Juan Williams speaks his mind on Foxnews and gets fired.
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=130712737&ps=cprs

I guess it all worked out because Foxnews offered him a $2M contract.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=130746229

I find it very interesting that Barara Walters and Whoopi Goldberg came to his defense.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...liams-firing-critics-congress-defund-network/
They were wrong to fire him. He was wrong to say what he said.

Again, it's a question of Islamophobic bias. Fox News celebrates it, NPR doesn't allow it.

Religious discrimination coming from such a prominent figure in the news world is simply not acceptable (Unless of course that news correspondent happens to work for Fox).

However, I do not want my opinion on what Williams said to cloud my opinion of NPR's releasing him. I do not think they should have fired him for saying that. I think a public verbal flogging should have been enacted, and then they should've given him a chance to redeem himself. A man of his stature and education should realize his mistake and know what to do to remedy the situation without compromising his views on the matter.

Although I must admit it does absolutely nothing to help Fox News' credibility when they hire a man shortly after he is released for Islamophobic comments. ROFLMAO

They were wrong to fire him. He was wrong to say what he said.

Again, it's a question of Islamophobic bias. Fox News celebrates it, NPR doesn't allow it.

Religious discrimination coming from such a prominent figure in the news world is simply not acceptable (Unless of course that news correspondent happens to work for Fox).

However, I do not want my opinion on what Williams said to cloud my opinion of NPR's releasing him. I do not think they should have fired him for saying that. I think a public verbal flogging should have been enacted, and then they should've given him a chance to redeem himself. A man of his stature and education should realize his mistake and know what to do to remedy the situation without compromising his views on the matter.

Although I must admit it does absolutely nothing to help Fox News' credibility when they hire a man shortly after he is released for Islamophobic comments. ROFLMAO

See my post in your thread about Foxnews Bias

They were wrong to fire him AND he was NOT wrong to say what he said.

Tell me that you don't feel uncomfortable when you get on an airplane when there are a couple of men dressed in Muslim (Mideast) garb - robes, turbans, etc. In this day and age of terrorists and suicide bombers .. after 9/11, etc .. you can't help but look askance at someone who has chosen to show they are more interested in celebrating their Muslim beliefs instead of fitting in to their surroundings (which is mostly of the slacks, suits, garments, etc genre).

Before you claim my beliefs are because I have a phobia, bull - 9/11 wasn't carried out by Hispanics or the boys hanging out on an American street corner ... they were carried out by extremist Muslims.

That can't help but raise concerns.

I agree with you Chief. It addresses a deeper seated issue that many people have with muslims who dress in traditional garb. Because the extermists were muslims, and dressing traditionally sets them apart from the general public. If traditional Christians dressed differently they might experience the smae thing. However I do feel that nothing would have happened to Mr Williams if he had said the smae thing about Christians.

I agree with you Chief. It addresses a deeper seated issue that many people have with Muslims who dress in traditional garb. Because the extremists were Muslims, and dressing traditionally sets them apart from the general public. If traditional Christians dressed differently they might experience the same thing. However I do feel that nothing would have happened to Mr Williams if he had said the same thing about Christians.

I agree with you ... there IS a double standard between Christian and Muslim. At best, had he made a similar comment about a Christian, there would have only been a "wink wink" comment.

* Corrected spelling within the quote.

Tell me that you don't feel uncomfortable when you get on an airplane when there are a couple of men dressed in Muslim (Mideast) garb - robes, turbans, etc. In this day and age of terrorists and suicide bombers .. after 9/11, etc .. you can't help but look askance at someone who has chosen to show they are more interested in celebrating their Muslim beliefs instead of fitting in to their surroundings (which is mostly of the slacks, suits, garments, etc genre).

Before you claim my beliefs are because I have a phobia, bull - 9/11 wasn't carried out by Hispanics or the boys hanging out on an American street corner ... they were carried out by extremist Muslims.

Sorry Chief, but I don't feel unconfortable I see them every single day on the metro going to a from work. I even work with a few. 9 years after 9-11, I am still here. There are 1 Billion Muslims in the world and only about 20,000 terrorists. Chances of meeting a real terrorist, less than winning the lottery. I dont let fear run my life, and I don't like it when far right-wing pundits try and create atmospheres of fear (like Hitler did in the 30s) either.

And you shouldn't neither, because real terrorists in the West don't dress in Middle Eastern Garb. They were western clothing, shave their beards and give every impression they are like everyone else. The last thing a REAL terrorist wants to do is stick out and attract unwanted notice. If you see some dressed in Middle Eastern Garb you can be assure that person IS NOT a terrorist.

Could you imagine if a white man had said BLACK people dressed like gang members made him feel nervous? Williams is Black, I doubt even he would have liked that remark.

THEY WERE RIGHT TO FIRE HIM

He had been warned about such comments before, this WASN'T the first time. Lets not forget that NPR was his boss, he wasnt just a guest, he was their employee. He was given a second chance after he said that Michelle Obama "Stokely Carmichael in a designer dress thing going”. A nasty personal remark against he first lady. He was warned after that not to make such incendiary comments or personal attacks again. He agreed not to do so. FOX NEWS might tolerate that type of hatefulness, but NPR doesn't. He also know he was skating thin ice with NPR because NPR wasn't happy that he was a paid rent-a-mouth on FOX. Which is understandable, who wants an employee who works both for you and the competition at the same time? I'd have fired him for that alone. NPR did him a favor by not firing him before.

So he was walking in thin ice before...and then he deliberately decided not to follow the rules HIS BOSS set, he got sh*t-canned. Its not exactly a shocker, if I deliberately disobey my boss's directions I can get fired too. And now here is crying that its because of bias. There is no bias here, next time when YOUR BOSS tells you to do something you better A) do it, or B) quit. But if you defy your boss like Williams did, you better start sending out your resume.

What happened was this: Williams tested NPR patience one to many times. Sorry No sympathy.

Last edited:
If anyone wants to hear what Williams said that got him fired follow the link.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationw...l-video-juan-williams-npr,0,1983743.htmlstory

You can also hear his comments on being fired.

This got him fired, at the same time 21 different media organizations join in support of the Reverend Phillips right to "Free Speech".

Snyder v. Phelps, Docket No. 09-751 US Supreme Court

Amicus brief
Brief for the Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press and Twenty-one News Media Organizations in Support of Respondent (Respondent is Reverend Phillips and his church.)

Examples of "Free Speech" news media wants to protect:

"Thank God for Dead soldiers"
"GOD HATES FAGS"
http://www.godhatesfags.com/index.html (Phelps's website)

But NPR fires Williams over his comments that, when he is on a plane with Muslims, "I get nervous."

A traditional Muslim does not equal an extremist Muslim. You can be a traditional Christian and not be an extremist. Jesus Christ, I thought you were capable of more logical thought, Chief.

Exactly how was his comment about Mrs. Obama bigotry?

Ok, Not bigoted but it was insulting, disrespectful, incentive, and incendiary, and NPR told him to watch his mouth "or else...". Williams decided to test what "or else" meant. Its pretty clear that NPR didn't want their show to be hijacked by people like the FOX NEWS monkeys whose only method to get their point across is by throwing Molotov at people they disagree with. If FOX tolerates (and even encourages) that fine, NPR doesn't.

So, he's no victim, (although he seems to enjoy playing one). Even if you agree with his statement, it boils down to not censorship by his employer, but employee insubordination. And he got fired for it.

Last edited:
Ok, Not bigoted but it was insulting, disrespectful, incentive, and incendiary, and NPR told him to watch his mouth "or else...". Williams decided to test what "or else" meant. Its pretty clear that NPR didn't want their show to be hijacked by people like the FOX NEWS monkeys whose only method to get their point across is by throwing Molotov at people they disagree with. If FOX tolerates (and even encourages) that fine, NPR doesn't.

So, he's no victim, (although he seems to enjoy playing one). Even if you agree with his statement, it boils down to not censorship by his employer, but employee insubordination. And he got fired for it.

You are way to funny! At least you retracted the bigoted remark.

"Its pretty clear that NPR didn't want their show to be hijacked" mmarsh
You are aware that NPR is National Public Radio? They air many shows, which one did they not want hijacked? Juan Williams was not on one of NPRs shows when he made the comment.

Bigoted? How many on air black male broadcasters does NPR have now that they fired Juan Williams? Zero!

NPR claims to want fair balanced reporting, but like most liberal media they want it "balanced" in their favor.:smile:

Umm do you have anything to support statement "NPR claims to want fair and balanced reporting" I had a quick look at their website and I didn't see it mentioned (I may have missed it).

I am just concerned that people may be mis-using the FOX tag line.

I don't feel uncomfortable at all on aircraft with men in "Muslim Gab" after all the ones that hijacked the aircraft were wearing the same clothes as everyone else, in fact I would say quite the opposite as those that are prepared to stand out in the crowd at an airport usually get more attention.

So as far as it goes the hijackers probably looked more like Americans than the Grand Mufti, however this brings me to a question.. do you fear UHaul trucks near Federal buildings?

Last edited:
Umm do you have anything to support statement "NPR claims to want fair and balanced reporting" I had a quick look at their website and I didn't see it mentioned (I may have missed it).

Ummmmm, supposedly all news reporting should be fair and unbiased.:shoothea::lol::rolleyes:

Here is a portion of NPR's Ethics Code with link:

III. Statement of principles
Our coverage must be fair, unbiased, accurate, complete and honest. At NPR we are expected to conduct ourselves in a manner that leaves no question about our independence and fairness. We must treat the people we cover and our audience with respect.(underlined and bold ed portion pertaining to MontyB's question)

NPRs Ethics Code link:
http://www.npr.org/about/aboutnpr/ethics/ethics_code.html#outside

Umm do you have anything to support statement "NPR claims to want fair and balanced reporting" , I had a quick look at their website and I didn't see it mentioned (I may have missed it).

Do you mean to imply that you think news reporting SHOULD NOT be fair and unbiased?!?!?!?!?!?!

Looks to me like MontyB did not believe NPR wanted to be fair and unbiased.

I supplied the link he requested showing that NPRs ethics calls for fair and unbiased reporting.

My statement: "Ummmmm, supposedly all news reporting should be fair and unbiased." says that I believe all news reporting should be fair and unbiased, that should not be hard for even you to understand.:roll:

You are way to funny! At least you retracted the bigoted remark.

"Its pretty clear that NPR didn't want their show to be hijacked" mmarsh
You are aware that NPR is National Public Radio? They air many shows, which one did they not want hijacked? Juan Williams was not on one of NPRs shows when he made the comment.

Bigoted? How many on air black male broadcasters does NPR have now that they fired Juan Williams? Zero!

NPR claims to want fair balanced reporting, but like most liberal media they want it "balanced" in their favor.:smile:

I'm funny because I am man enough to admit to being mistaken? Most people call that being an adult (perhaps you should try it sometime). As opposed to yourself who is so immature he can NEVER admit to being wrong no matter how badly he's cornered. And no, I don't find that funny, its simply pathetic.

But my point was not that it was fair or not. If you listened the President of NPR explaination she specifically stated that Williams was fired for failing to adhere to NPRs broadcasting standards NOT because he was conservative.
There is no proof that Williams was fired because of his views. The only people crying about Williams are Conservatives WHO DON'T LISTEN TO NPR ANYWAY.

Last edited:
I wouldn't call Williams a Conservative from listening to him on Stepanopolis's program, but he does seem to be reasonably fair.

My statement: "Ummmmm, supposedly all news reporting should be fair and unbiased." says that I believe all news reporting should be fair and unbiased, that should not be hard for even you to understand.:roll:
You conveniently left out your sarcastic emoticons including the rolling eyes (an extremely common indication of sarcasm), a smiley mimicking suicide by gunshot to the head, and a laughing smiley. Forgive me if I thought you were mocking MY ideals with YOUR sarcasm.

Back