Nikola Tesla

I for one have never forgotten about him, I will admit though that a lot of that has to do with Red Alert 2 and the Tesla Coils from that game.

I heard that he was working on a project about a special gun that can shot 10000 enemy fihgter planes far from 400km's. He must be crazy :shock:

Tesla dreamed of a city where all electromechanical devices were powered by generator towers. Cars would be powered by induction motors. All volt/amp devices like lighting and appliances would have instant switch on availability. I never was as interested in his thoughts and theories as some though. I worked with an engineer who was a power supply designer and he would use some of his vacation time to go to a Tesla convention every year, I believe in Chicago. He too was of Croation ancestry and his surname was close to that of Tesla. Genius, I guess, but not very practical.

He's well remembered by those engineers who work with inductive circuitry and use a Maxwell as a measurement of flux density at a point in time.

Supposedly some scientists have developed a way to harmlessly transfer energy using wireless technology. I say harmlessly because lighting is nothing more than a rapid and massive transfer of energy (well, it gets more technical, but you get the point, right?) but it is far from harmless. That's huge, no more powerlines or A/C cords, you wouldn't even need to plug in your cell phone at night, the whole wall could be an outlet.

Tesla had some bizarre ideas in his later life, but you need a dozen impractical ones to generate something really original which works. Tesla is responsible for giving us AC current (as well as many other achievements) he clashed with Edison over this who treated Tesla abominably.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikola_Tesla

"transfer energy using wireless technology"

Well you can use microwaves or lasers, these are thought to be suitable for transmitting a focused energy beam from a solar array. It is not particularly safe though since these could be used as a weapon. US and Russia have a treaty not to use powerful lasers in space.

Last edited:
Back