Newest US Destroyer : Zumwalt

Hutchie

Anyone seen pics or read about the new Zumwalt, stealth destroyer? What am I missing? This thing looks about as seaworthy as a log. Stealthy, hmm, not to me. Looks like another boondoggle to me.:confused:

With a Class name like that, it's off to a great start.

Elmo was a great man and an even better Naval Officer in my eyes.

Can someone explain to me why it looks like they built it on an overturned hull?

rtn_zumwalt_mast.jpg

and I am not sure it is something I would want to be on in rough seas.

Can someone explain to me why it looks like they built it on an overturned hull?

rtn_zumwalt_mast.jpg

and I am not sure it is something I would want to be on in rough seas.

Because the U.S. Government obviously knows that the company with the biggest Advertising budget will obviously make the superior design.

Duh!

This fascination for everything german sticks around I see. Why can't they just name one The Billy Bob?

Either way, it seems like a strange prioritization currently. The american naval fleet is quite strong as far as im aware.

I'm a retired boatbuilder and have designed some of the boats that I've built. They all floated and actually are still being built. I don't claim to be an expert, but, that sure looks more like a submarine, which would actually be stealthy as long as submerged. I think that it is going to be neither stealthy or even seaworthy. Hope for the sailors on her I'm wrong.

MontyB--
"Can someone explain to me why it looks like they built it on an overturned hull?"
It's the stealthy part, that makes it look that way.
It has the statistics of a WWII Cruiser, 600 feet long, beam is 81 feet and 14,000 tons, so it's should be sea worthy.

Last edited:
"This fascination for everything german sticks around I see."
Admiral Zumwalt was in the American Navy, He was Chief of Naval Operations
from 1970 to 1974.

Back