I need a Utility service Knife.

About I need a Utility service Knife.

International Military Forums > Military Hardware, Gear and Technology Forums > General Military Hardware, Gear and Technology Discussions
User Name
Password

March 15th, 2012   #1
Yossarian

I need a Utility service Knife. info

Guy came in from off base into the establisment where I work today looking for a good complimentary knife to take on deployment with him with his issued K-Bar.

I asked about if he wished to have a fighting knife or more Utility based knife.

He stated if I could keep an eye out for any thing as far as a good knife for anything that may be useful.

I figured if anyone here in who has served abroad, what is a good all round knife that can be a fighting weapon and tool when need be? Other than but in the same role as the tradtional K-Bar.

Also if known the manufacturer would be a good thing to know, so as to see where to request an order from.

Also please note, if it has "CHINA" or "PAKISTAN" printed anywhere on it , then it looses the customer's interest immediatly. Since they come to establiments like ours to avoid having to pay a huge price for buying on base, we try to accomidate.

Any recommendations, and even better, experiance would be greatly profitable.... I mean Appreciated.

Yo,

"This conjunction of an immense military establishment and a large arms industry is new in the American experience"- Dwight D. Eisenhower , Jan 17,1961.

Last edited by Yossarian; March 15th, 2012 at 23:41..

--
March 16th, 2012   #2
muscogeemike

If you are carring a "fighting knife" then you must have a multi-tool - good ones range in price from $50 to as much as you want to spend.

March 16th, 2012   #3
Big_Z

I used to have one of these.

It came up missing on a maneuver. It felt like somebody killed my dog when I realized it was missing.

I bought it directly from Gerber, had to mail in a photo copy of my military ID to purchase it. I've seen them running as low as $150 which is a bargain. I believe the knife is illegal in some states. When you first hold it you are shocked by its weight, they are built to last a life time, and the opening action of the blade is amazing, it is extremely crisp.

It is built as a fighting knife but its works outstanding as utility as well. It puts a K-bar to shame. It's the only knife a soldier needs.

Infantry leads......

Last edited by Big_Z; March 16th, 2012 at 05:53..

March 16th, 2012   #4
42RM

I agree.
A Gerber 06 and a Gerber Multi-Plier 600 IT, then you have what you need.

March 16th, 2012   #5
84RFK

Different people, different knives...here's the ones we use, and prefer.

http://www.wingevapen.no/productimag...0bilde%202.jpg

http://www.samekniv.no/index.php?opt...d=67&Itemid=59

And I still don't feel properly dressed without my Leatherman Tool.

Today we are all Norwegians! Swedish Foreign Minister Carl Bildt. 22. July 2011

March 16th, 2012   #6
42RM

The Leatherman Surge is a real powerhouse.
With respect to fighting knifes, there is only one - The Fairbairn-Sykes

March 16th, 2012   #7
84RFK

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42RM

With respect to the Fairbairn-Sykes, there are certain limits to what use you can make of a stilletto...except of course putting an end to unfriendly individuals.

I wouldn't leave for the outback without our prefered utility knife, the one with a 9 inch blade that can be used for chopping firewood as well as frying bacon.

March 16th, 2012   #8
BritinAfrica

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42RM
I've got a couple of original Fairburn-Sykes somewhere. One of which my dad bought off a para for 5 bob when he was in hospital in Egypt.

I try to be the man my dog thinks I am.

March 16th, 2012   #9
KJ

Multitool. (Leatherman is my personal choice)
You will use it ALOT more then any fightingknife you bring..

Small, low weight and applicable to a wide range of problems that will occur during a rotation.
Doesn´t cost you an arm and a leg either..

KJ sends..

"We are the pilgrims, Master
We shall go always a little further,
it may be beyond the last blue mountain barred with snow,
Across that angry or glimmering sea..."

March 16th, 2012   #10
Yossarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ
Multitool. (Leatherman is my personal choice)
You will use it ALOT more then any fightingknife you bring..

Small, low weight and applicable to a wide range of problems that will occur during a rotation.
Doesn´t cost you an arm and a leg either..

KJ sends..

I have a personal leatherman, one with all the bells and whistles, even a built in LED flashlight.

Love that thing, I thought about mentioning the multi tools, but it slipped my mind.

I will most defeintantly check out their product line and what is hot right now, as for brand, Leatherman in about the best you can get for mulittools.