I need a Utility service Knife.

Yossarian

Forum Resistance Leader
Guy came in from off base into the establisment where I work today looking for a good complimentary knife to take on deployment with him with his issued K-Bar.

I asked about if he wished to have a fighting knife or more Utility based knife.

He stated if I could keep an eye out for any thing as far as a good knife for anything that may be useful.

I figured if anyone here in who has served abroad, what is a good all round knife that can be a fighting weapon and tool when need be? Other than but in the same role as the tradtional K-Bar.

Also if known the manufacturer would be a good thing to know, so as to see where to request an order from.

Also please note, if it has "CHINA" or "PAKISTAN" printed anywhere on it , then it looses the customer's interest immediatly. Since they come to establiments like ours to avoid having to pay a huge price for buying on base, we try to accomidate.

Any recommendations, and even better, experiance would be greatly profitable.... I mean Appreciated.;-)

Yo,

Last edited:
If you are carring a "fighting knife" then you must have a multi-tool - good ones range in price from $50 to as much as you want to spend.

I used to have one of these.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1ZeK9EKwD8"]Gerber 06 Military Issue Black Tactical Automatic Knife ( Tanto/ Serrated ) - YouTube[/ame]

It came up missing on a maneuver. It felt like somebody killed my dog when I realized it was missing. :crybaby:

I bought it directly from Gerber, had to mail in a photo copy of my military ID to purchase it. I've seen them running as low as $150 which is a bargain. I believe the knife is illegal in some states. When you first hold it you are shocked by its weight, they are built to last a life time, and the opening action of the blade is amazing, it is extremely crisp.

It is built as a fighting knife but its works outstanding as utility as well. It puts a K-bar to shame. It's the only knife a soldier needs.

Last edited:
The Leatherman Surge is a real powerhouse.
With respect to fighting knifes, there is only one - The Fairbairn-Sykes :wink:

With respect to the Fairbairn-Sykes, there are certain limits to what use you can make of a stilletto...except of course putting an end to unfriendly individuals.

I wouldn't leave for the outback without our prefered utility knife, the one with a 9 inch blade that can be used for chopping firewood as well as frying bacon. ;-)

I've got a couple of original Fairburn-Sykes somewhere. One of which my dad bought off a para for 5 bob when he was in hospital in Egypt.

Multitool. (Leatherman is my personal choice)
You will use it ALOT more then any fightingknife you bring..

Small, low weight and applicable to a wide range of problems that will occur during a rotation.
Doesn´t cost you an arm and a leg either..

KJ sends..

Multitool. (Leatherman is my personal choice)
You will use it ALOT more then any fightingknife you bring..

Small, low weight and applicable to a wide range of problems that will occur during a rotation.
Doesn´t cost you an arm and a leg either..

KJ sends..

I have a personal leatherman, one with all the bells and whistles, even a built in LED flashlight.

Love that thing, I thought about mentioning the multi tools, but it slipped my mind.

I will most defeintantly check out their product line and what is hot right now, as for brand, Leatherman in about the best you can get for mulittools.

A "fighting knife" I feel is no more than an affectation, the realm of wankers.

As a "Utility Knife", I'd say that you would find it very hard to beat the Leatherman range of tools.

I'm not sure which one I would choose though as I feel that a few of the tools are a bit gimmicky rather than being of any real practical use, but over all, I feel that they are very well made and of high quality stainless steel.

Last edited:
With respect to the Fairbairn-Sykes, there are certain limits to what use you can make of a stilletto...except of course putting an end to unfriendly individuals.

I only wear one because I got it from my granddad who was a RM Commando in WWII and as a symbol of my status as a Commando. I know of one case where a guy from SBS only had the option to use his knife.

Last edited:
I not an expert on fighting knives, never really had an interest in them,

Don't ask for any "collector's" knives. We get a lot of somthing teen year olds or Motard's with no female attention asking about the various styles of Ninja weapons and Katanas they like to look for, which can be found in surplus at any flea market.

Problem I have with dealing with "collector's", is that I really have no idea what cratfsmanship means.

It's funny to see such a gent walk in and want to buy all the crappiest stuff I have ever seen, steel printed with the names India, China and Pakistan on it, with crappy cardboard hanldles and cheesy patterned cloth wrapped around it.

Or brass knuckle style blades that are spring loaded and won't hold an edge for a year. ( I always ask myself, the hell?)

It's peaves me to re explain to "collector's" why we don't order a huge ammount due to the larger cusomer base who wants a qaulity tool that will do more than decorate their mother's coffee table, (literally most peices are under a dollar or so fresh off the boat from China). And the mark up ridculous.

But occasionally off duty military personel do like to wander to our location looking for bargains due to the fact much of the name brand things on base are riduculously priced.

Hence why I turned to my most valuable asset,

The IMF community.:cool:

I only wear one because I got it from my granddad who was a RM Commando in WWII and as a symbol of my status as a Commando. I know of one case where a guy from SBS only had the option to use his knife.

Ah I see, both RM Commando and the Fairbairn Sykes might be considered geneticly in your case then. :)
And since you lot eat barbed wire and piss napalm, you wouldn't have much need for firewood anyway, suppose you'll do just fine with the Fairbairn Sykes and a Leatherman.

As for us mortals on the other side of the puddle (you know both metric and driving on the right side of the road) the need for a utility tool capable of chopping firewood weighs heavier than the need for silent killing....so SAS-stiletto, Ninja-Tanto, and Rambo-blade will be considered more like a decorative item here.

The reason we stick to the Scandinavian blades is that they're made of laminated steel (3 layers) and it's easy to keep a sharp edge on them.

As for Leatherman, the Wave makes sense, but I'm wearing gloves in almost any conditions, so I've happily been lugging 3 different Leatherman Super Tool around for the last 12-14 years.

I not an expert on fighting knives, never really had an interest in them,

Don't ask for any "collector's" knives. We get a lot of somthing teen year olds or Motard's with no female attention asking about the various styles of Ninja weapons and Katanas they like to look for, which can be found in surplus at any flea market.

Problem I have with dealing with "collector's", is that I really have no idea what cratfsmanship means.

It's funny to see such a gent walk in and want to buy all the crappiest stuff I have ever seen, steel printed with the names India, China and Pakistan on it, with crappy cardboard hanldles and cheesy patterned cloth wrapped around it.

Or brass knuckle style blades that are spring loaded and won't hold an edge for a year. ( I always ask myself, the hell?)

It's peaves me to re explain to "collector's" why we don't order a huge ammount due to the larger cusomer base who wants a qaulity tool that will do more than decorate their mother's coffee table, (literally most peices are under a dollar or so fresh off the boat from China). And the mark up ridculous.

But occasionally off duty military personel do like to wander to our location looking for bargains due to the fact much of the name brand things on base are riduculously priced.

Hence why I turned to my most valuable asset,

The IMF community.:cool:

I had a bloke in the shop wanting to sell a well knackered and rusty 6.35 Baby Browning, he said and I quote, "It's a collectors item." After I stopped laughing, I said there were millions of these made and not worth the paperwork taking it into stock. He wasn't very happy.

It came up missing on a maneuver. It felt like somebody killed my dog when I realized it was missing.

You don't need knife just hit them with your shovel, it will do a far better job and keeps that much further from you.

Back