NCO????

usaf0296

i'm new to this whole air force thing, and i'd like to get some questions answered now while its annonomous than try to ask once i've joined up. i have no clue what an NCO is, other than its a non commisioned officer, but what is it?

If it were football, the officers would be the coaches and the NCOs would be the players telling the huddle the play and making adjustments at the line of scrimmage/coverage adjustments.

Just as a coach's play can get gunked up in translation or in execution, it's the NCO that ensures the operation runs smoothly and is flexible to changing environments. All the while, the overall playcall remains the same.

aight i think i get it, if anyone else cares to try and explain things to make it clearer it would be great

thats a good question, i'm not quite sure on that either, so the question now is what is an NCO, what is a commision, and i'd like to add another, how do you get commisioned?

I'll give it a shot. Having been an NCO for many years, I'll give you my take. An NCO is an enlisted person who has been delegated leadership and command authority by a commissioned officer. We are the mid-level managenment of the military. We are often referred to as the "backbone" of the service.
We have multiple responsibilities. We serve as advisors to the officer corps and supervisors and advocates of lower ranking enlisted personnel.
The tradition of the NCO is often traced back to the Centurion of the Roman Army. There are junior and senior NCOs in the Army, and petty officers in the Navy.
NCOs are trained through a series of advanced schools (NCO academies). You can see the NCO development ribbon for each level of training on an NCO's uniform.
As far as what a commission is, it is a government document that confers the rank of an officer on the recipient. Hence, no such document equals a Non Commissioned Officer.
I hope that helps a bit. But if you have further questions, just ask.

The NCO is what keeps the military running. An officer can give an order, but without the NCO, the officer would be talking to a wall.

I love the answer that silent driller said .. how true it is..

NCO's are the back bone of the armed services

NCO's are the service members that take care of their subodinates

ensuring that they are "taken care of"

anyone can be a certian rank but only a few can be NCO

NCO are NON commissioned Officers

they are commissioned but they have the same respect and "pull"

I'll give it a shot. Having been an NCO for many years, I'll give you my take. An NCO is an enlisted person who has been delegated leadership and command authority by a commissioned officer. We are the mid-level managenment of the military. We are often referred to as the "backbone" of the service.
We have multiple responsibilities. We serve as advisors to the officer corps and supervisors and advocates of lower ranking enlisted personnel.
The tradition of the NCO is often traced back to the Centurion of the Roman Army. There are junior and senior NCOs in the Army, and petty officers in the Navy.
NCOs are trained through a series of advanced schools (NCO academies). You can see the NCO development ribbon for each level of training on an NCO's uniform.
As far as what a commission is, it is a government document that confers the rank of an officer on the recipient. Hence, no such document equals a Non Commissioned Officer.
That just about sums it up.
Good explaination DTOP :D

Back