name two atomic bombers from the a bomb to now

The B-29 from the beginning, then the B-36, B-52 StratoFortress, B-58 Hustler......to name a few.

The B-2 stealth bomber can carry B61 and B83 gravity bombs and the B-1B Lancer used to be able to employ nuclear weapons before the START treaty was signed.

I actually think a more interesting thread would be, what bombers have dropped an atomic weapon (not just in anger, in genearl)

Some of russia's were the Tu-4 BULL,It-28 BEAGLE,Tu-16 BADGER,Tu-95 BEAR,M-4 BISON, M-50 BOUNDER, T-4/S-100, T-60S, Tu-22 BLINDER, Tu-22M BACKFIRE, Tu-160 BLACKJACK. I think most of those were used to carry nukes. Correct me if im wrong.

not specifically nuke-only, I don't think ,but most of that info sounds about right.

The ones i know for sure were Backfire, Bear, Blackjack, Blinder, and Bison.

Oh, and it's Il-28 Beagle, Not It-28.

The XB-70 Valkyrie was planned to carry nukes, but seeing as it never entered production...

There are more...much more. these common fighters could also carry a nuclear weapon. any aircraft with a modified attachment system, or an internal attachment point can carry a nuke.

F-4 phantom could carry 2 nuclear weapons on wing mounts.

F-111 could carry four in its bomb bay.

F-105s could carry one inside the aircraft in bomb bay.

F-106 could carry a genie air to air atomic missle in its bomb bay.

A-4s (israeli) can carry them on a center point mount...

One of the most common tactics a pilot used in the 1950s cold war was the "lob" method of a-bomb delivery. You went down fast pulled up at an angle and then lobbed the bomb in the general direction of the target. the bomb went one way-you went another....

and so on...;)

On teh Navy side we had ( in my day) the A-6 Inturder, F-14, F-4, A-4 and a couple of helocopters Lamps MK2, and RH-53D

F-22

I did a quick check on the F-22 load out and didn't see any listed but as we know that doesn't mean it can't. :wink:

Back