My God why I can't Read anymore.

Well its ironic, if you ask me. The thread is titled "why can't I read" and all it is is something that doesn't make sense. Something that you can't read...

Yes but it should pertain to armored vehicles, right? Thus my reason for asking for the point of the post.

Jameson-irish-whiskey.jpg

This is the sole reason I made the actual original post, read it the next day and forgot to ask to have it deleted, so in that amazingly focused, and guiltless condition I was in at the time, I simply slapped the delete button and could not think of any other way to explain this debauchery than to say simply "Edited".

Which technically I did edit it so now my honesty is restored!

The original post was about an article I read on the botched Lake Balaton Operation and afv combat of the period in general. Loaded with the ammunition pictured above you can only question it's quality.

Lake Balaton was a late WW2 action by the Germans. It was the last major German offensive of WW2. They were overwhelmed by the Soviets sheer numbers and preparedness. It was luanched to protect some of Germany's last oil reserves located in Hungry. Perhaps the despairing Germans turned to Irish whiskey (although I don't kow how they would get it).

Lake Balaton was a late WW2 action by the Germans. It was the last major German offensive of WW2. They were overwhelmed by the Soviets sheer numbers and preparedness. It was luanched to protect some of Germany's last oil reserves located in Hungry. Perhaps the despairing Germans turned to Irish whiskey (although I don't kow how they would get it).

I think you oversaw my meaning, after polishing the inside of some glasses with one solemn night and researching the later stages of the Offensive and where allot of that equipment ended up, places like Syria Jordan and parts of German vehicles traveling as far as India I experienced a moment of understanding of the ferocity and sadness of this period in history on a human perspective.

Accelerated once again by the picture above. People do stupid **** , me staying up that late and rambling on being among them.

I never knew that tiger, panther tanks, Stugs, Jagdpathers, etc: ended up being sold abroad. Actually I didn't know that many of them survived the war intact. By wars end their numbers were low. Now we are beginning to start an interesting tread. We all make mistakes.

I never knew that tiger, panther tanks, Stugs, Jagdpathers, etc: ended up being sold abroad. Actually I didn't know that many of them survived the war intact. By wars end their numbers were low. Now we are beginning to start an interesting tread. We all make mistakes.

Panzer Mark IV's fired their 75mm guns against Israel in the Golan Heights as support machines in the 1967 war.

Panther turret parts and even some allied tanks were found in the invasions of Iraq and Afghanistan. Ft's in Afghanistan, and M 10 wolverines and Churchill's in Iraq.

Parts of some German machines were sent to India, or at least found there years later. This let to Germany being considered at one time by India for a new tank to be manufactured there in the post war period.

As for surviving German armor, several Panthers even some Model G's survive today, at least one Running Tiger l, and work is going on with the Czechs to restore another Running Tiger B. No Jagtigers are running at this time and it seems unlikely that is to ever change, only 3 actual examples intact , two examples in almost complete condition, the rarer "Porsche" Model in the Uk, and a later production model captured in Factory Finish on the Eastern Front, now in Russia.

One more Jagtiger has floated back and forth from Aberdeen Military museum to other American War museums along the East Coast over the years, however this Jagtiger is not as complete as the ones formerly mentioned.

There are dozens of other model Panzers still running from this time in Europe Russia and the U.S., but mainly Panzer Mk. lll's some ll's , two or three recovered Stug's from swamps and rivers these past few years in Eastern Europe.

One thing not really touched upon is German's organic acquisition of armor during the war, lacking large manufacturing base to produce large quantities their own indigenous designs at the same pace of the Allies. Much armor, in the form of SPG's light artillery peices, and even light tanks were composed of captured French, British and some Russian vehicles. Even mounting captured Allied artillery and AT guns on their own chassis. This compounds the evidence showing Germany was not ready or capable of a long lasting war of any broad scope. Such as in the East.

Although German Panzer troops ceased almost all using of captured T 34s after several instances mainly at night of being fired at by their own troops when returning to friendly positions.

I can see Panzer Mark IV's “Panzer IV AUSF C and Panzer IV AUSF H” surviving in some numbers seeing as these were enduring designs for the Germans .
The M 10 wolverines and Churchill's were allied tanks so I wouldn’t classify them as German vehicles.
As for the rest of the German armor they are primarily museum pieces.

I can see Panzer Mark IV's “Panzer IV AUSF C and Panzer IV AUSF H” surviving in some numbers seeing as these were enduring designs for the Germans .
The M 10 wolverines and Churchill's were allied tanks so I wouldn’t classify them as German vehicles.
As for the rest of the German armor they are primarily museum pieces.

I didn't mean to imply they Where, just listing similar circumstances for other machines of the era in other examples of surviving specimens. As fate would have it Syria aquired their Panzer IV's from Spain after the war.

Back