The Muslim Brotherhood's Reach and Ambitions Extend Far Beyond Egypt

About The Muslim Brotherhood's Reach and Ambitions Extend Far Beyond Egypt Page 2

International Military Forums > Military Discussion Forums > International Terrorism Forum
User Name
Password

February 17th, 2012   #11
VDKMS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyB
I disagree, if Sharia law was part of the Brotherhoods election platform then its implementation is democratic.
49% (their election result) cannot impose such laws on 51%. If I'm not mistaken they wanted a law based on Islam and not Sharia.

--
February 17th, 2012   #12
MontyB

Oh bollocks, very few groups in multi-party elections get 50% if what you say was true New Zealand hasn't had a legitimate government in about 30 years.

Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices. - Voltaire 1694-1778

February 18th, 2012   #13
VDKMS

Quote:
Oh bollocks, very few groups in multi-party elections get 50% if what you say was true New Zealand hasn't had a legitimate government in about 30 years.
There's a difference between common laws and constitutional laws. Common laws normaly are applied with a majority of votes (like + 50%), constitutional laws need mostly a 2/3 approval.
I didn't say that if no political party achieves a 50% majority that the government is not legitimate. We were only talking about one party.
I can't think of one country with sharia law that is democratic.

February 18th, 2012   #14
MontyB

Who cares, if I run for office on the platform of replacing democracy with a one man dictatorship and god with a flying spaghetti monster that requires a virgin sacrifice once a week and I get elected then I have a mandate to implement those policies.

If the people of Egypt want Islamic rule then that is their decision that is the whole point of democracy, the people have a right to make decisions good or bad.

February 18th, 2012   #15
mohamedwa

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDKMS
I don't like the Brotherhood but one must give them a chance to proof themselves. It's as you say, a majority voted for them. One must respect that. But the problem is : sharia law is contradictory to democracy. Sharia law is religios law and in a democracy you cannot enforce Islamic laws on people who practice another religion. When a person wants to live according to Sharia law, it's Ok but he may not enforce it upon others.
first i would like you to know that sharia law ( whether u agree with it or not it aint the point ) is mainly based on the corner keystone of democrarcy which is justice.....the election of a president/parliamant/other government institutes gets along with the sharia principles...as for other religons in egypt ( mainly christians ) we don't enforce our law on them...they follow their church....(note: saying that sharia allows muslims to chopp thieves hands and etc isnt entirely true theirs ALOT related to that topic "punishment in sharia")
and just as you said..everyone deserves a chance so they won now and they got their chance...for me as an egyptian citizen my fingers are crossed so iam waiting 2 see wht they r gonna do

February 18th, 2012   #16
mohamedwa

oh and yes the muslim brotherhood took 49 percent of the seats only yeah...but u are forgetting that their is other islamic parties....with the brotherhood they make up to 75 percent of the seats....thats three quarters ......

February 19th, 2012   #17
VDKMS

Quote:
Who cares, if I run for office on the platform of replacing democracy with a one man dictatorship and god with a flying spaghetti monster that requires a virgin sacrifice once a week and I get elected then I have a mandate to implement those policies.

If the people of Egypt want Islamic rule then that is their decision that is the whole point of democracy, the people have a right to make decisions good or bad.
Once you get elected it is not a democracy anymore but a dictatorship.

If Egypt wants a democracy based on islamic culture I agree, if it is based on islamic laws I disabree because religion is something personal and has nothing to do with what other people want. Religion is a personal choice.

March 4th, 2012   #18
Clinkerbuilt

Quote:

What the heck, right? It worked for Hitler...that whole, 'being democratically elected' thing, I mean.

The one good thing about a monarchy/dictatorship is that you have no illusions, and no lies about who is doing what to you, because there can be no presumption of deflection of responsibility.