The Muslim Brotherhood's Reach and Ambitions Extend Far Beyond Egypt - Page 2

Read more about Originally Posted by MontyB I disagree, if Sharia law was part of the Brotherhoods election platform then its implementation is democratic. 49% (their election result) ca

Military Medals Store

International Military Forums > >

User Name
Password

February 17th, 2012   #11
VDKMS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyB
I disagree, if Sharia law was part of the Brotherhoods election platform then its implementation is democratic.
49% (their election result) cannot impose such laws on 51%. If I'm not mistaken they wanted a law based on Islam and not Sharia.

-
February 17th, 2012   #12
MontyB

Oh bollocks, very few groups in multi-party elections get 50% if what you say was true New Zealand hasn't had a legitimate government in about 30 years.

Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices. - Voltaire 1694-1778

February 18th, 2012   #13
VDKMS

Quote:
Oh bollocks, very few groups in multi-party elections get 50% if what you say was true New Zealand hasn't had a legitimate government in about 30 years.
There's a difference between common laws and constitutional laws. Common laws normaly are applied with a majority of votes (like + 50%), constitutional laws need mostly a 2/3 approval.
I didn't say that if no political party achieves a 50% majority that the government is not legitimate. We were only talking about one party.
I can't think of one country with sharia law that is democratic.

February 18th, 2012   #14
MontyB

Who cares, if I run for office on the platform of replacing democracy with a one man dictatorship and god with a flying spaghetti monster that requires a virgin sacrifice once a week and I get elected then I have a mandate to implement those policies.

If the people of Egypt want Islamic rule then that is their decision that is the whole point of democracy, the people have a right to make decisions good or bad.

February 18th, 2012   #15
mohamedwa

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDKMS
I don't like the Brotherhood but one must give them a chance to proof themselves. It's as you say, a majority voted for them. One must respect that. But the problem is : sharia law is contradictory to democracy. Sharia law is religios law and in a democracy you cannot enforce Islamic laws on people who practice another religion. When a person wants to live according to Sharia law, it's Ok but he may not enforce it upon others.
first i would like you to know that sharia law ( whether u agree with it or not it aint the point ) is mainly based on the corner keystone of democrarcy which is justice.....the election of a president/parliamant/other government institutes gets along with the sharia principles...as for other religons in egypt ( mainly christians ) we don't enforce our law on them...they follow their church....(note: saying that sharia allows muslims to chopp thieves hands and etc isnt entirely true theirs ALOT related to that topic "punishment in sharia")
and just as you said..everyone deserves a chance so they won now and they got their chance...for me as an egyptian citizen my fingers are crossed so iam waiting 2 see wht they r gonna do

February 18th, 2012   #16
mohamedwa

oh and yes the muslim brotherhood took 49 percent of the seats only yeah...but u are forgetting that their is other islamic parties....with the brotherhood they make up to 75 percent of the seats....thats three quarters ......

February 19th, 2012   #17
VDKMS

Quote:
Who cares, if I run for office on the platform of replacing democracy with a one man dictatorship and god with a flying spaghetti monster that requires a virgin sacrifice once a week and I get elected then I have a mandate to implement those policies.

If the people of Egypt want Islamic rule then that is their decision that is the whole point of democracy, the people have a right to make decisions good or bad.
Once you get elected it is not a democracy anymore but a dictatorship.

If Egypt wants a democracy based on islamic culture I agree, if it is based on islamic laws I disabree because religion is something personal and has nothing to do with what other people want. Religion is a personal choice.

March 4th, 2012   #18
Clinkerbuilt

Quote:

What the heck, right? It worked for Hitler...that whole, 'being democratically elected' thing, I mean.

The one good thing about a monarchy/dictatorship is that you have no illusions, and no lies about who is doing what to you, because there can be no presumption of deflection of responsibility.

Tags
islamic, movement, reach, sharia, [2]