Musashi found ??

namvet

Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen says he has found one of Japan's biggest and most famous battleships on a Philippine seabed, some 70 years after American forces sank it during World War II.

Excited historians likened the discovery, if verified, to finding the Titanic, as they hailed the American billionaire for his high-tech mission that apparently succeeded after so many failed search attempts by others.

link

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFG7Oi7roes"]Musashi Expedition One English - YouTube[/ame]

wkpe7o.jpg

About darn time! Love to see unmanned documentation of the wreck if only the Philippine Government will cooperate.

About darn time! Love to see unmanned documentation of the wreck if only the Philippine Government will cooperate.

they will probably ok that. but years back I heard a private group from the Netherlands asked the PI gov for permission to locate it and make an attempt to raise it. they were flat denied because of fuel and ammo still aboard

they will probably ok that. but years back I heard a private group from the Netherlands asked the PI gov for permission to locate it and make an attempt to raise it. they were flat denied because of fuel and ammo still aboard

As far as salvage I support the Philippine Government, it is a war grave and should be kept hands off. However I do hope they survey the ship and document for engineering and historical reasons.

Well, 2 down, one more to go...

As far as salvage I support the Philippine Government, it is a war grave and should be kept hands off. However I do hope they survey the ship and document for engineering and historical reasons.

Well, 2 down, one more to go...

What one is missing still?

Yamato was found in 1984, Musashi found in 2015 and the Shinano's location was recorded at the time it was sunk as 32° 7′ 0″ N, 137° 4′ 0″ E

Yamato was found in 1984, Musashi found in 2015 and the Shinano's location was recorded at the time it was sunk as 32° 7′ 0″ N, 137° 4′ 0″ E

Yos may referring to the Japanese aircraft carriers lost in the battle of Midway, I don't think they have found them all yet.

I am indeed referring to Shinano. Her approx location was recorded but no debris has been confirmed of her exact whereabouts. Especially going with recorded locations at the time of sinking often prove to be inaccurate.

As for the Midway Carriers, only Yorktown and possibly Kaga have been located.

This is a re edit.

The Teak on the chrysanthemum rotted away, being in cold water almost 2,000 feet deeper than Yamato, the microbes in those conditions and natural decay process have dissolved the carved Sun off leaving only the under wood.

I can say with almost 100% certainty that it can be said that these ships had a critical design weakness, aft and underneath the number 2 Barbette and subsequent magazine were highly vulnerable to magazine detonations, and the forward third of the ship , being the bow had an "weak" and I say lightly, weak joining of the hull. Under great stress in both ships the bow sheared off following a magazine explosion.

The hydrodynamic shape and water flow of the sinking bow along with it's weight distribution righted both the Yamato and Musashi's bow and they both settled more or less upright. Musashi, unlike Yamato has received what seems to be heavy impact damage on her bulbous bow.

Only one of the Main armament batteries was identified, one of the secondary 6 inch turrets as well.

The debris field is larger than Yamato's considerably, however being as the Musahi sank in deeper water, this is likely from the current carrying debris over a larger area than Yamato.

Both ships have invert aft sections, however unlike Yamato, the Musashi's superstructure had time to sheer off after the detonation and lies more or less on it's side somewhat intact, even the sweeping funnel, or what remains of it can be seen. Unlike on Yamato where the superstructure was mostly crushed in the rapidly sinking aft section of the hull.

Both are in similar status, suffering the same fate, with the same results. Sister's until the end.

Last edited:
Back