Which is most realistic war or military movie ?

The Battle of Britain is quite good apart from a few errors, like Mk9 Spitfires used when Mk1's and Mk5's fought the battle, there are a number of other errors as well.

Zulu was historically correct apart from the fact, the 24th Regiment of Foot was not a Welsh Regiment until around two years after the battle, the garrison never sang ""Men of Harlich,"" the Zulu chief did not salute the garrison, and neither did the Zulu use Martini Henry Rifles captured from the battle at Isandlwana.

There are a few rather good war movies. Among the older movies I like is the "Sink the Bismarck" It would be quite interesting to see a remake of it.

The German movie "Das Boot"is also pretty good. I also liked "A Bridge Too Far"

The modern war movies if I can use that term I appreciate are "Blackhawk Down", and the dual TV series "Band of Brothers" and "The Pacific" (not really movies, but they were worth watching.)

Generally speaking, movies are made for entertainment and if they are lacking the historical correctness, does that matter much? There are other sources available if we want to find the correct data of the events.

Older movies can use stereotypes which can be disturbing to see, I am referring to the hero kind of things which occur quite often in them. This can occur in newer war movies as well. The movie "Fury" has something close to this, I didn't really like it. The end of the movie destroyed it for me.

Can the movie "The Downfall" be classified as a war movie? If so, that was a pretty good one.

Some which i prefer are -
The hurt locker
Act of valour
Saving private ryan
What do you people say ?

I say watch this film, 'Theirs Is The Glory" filmed just after the end of World War Two and using real soldiers re-enacting their parts of operation market garden. Obviously no Oscar nominations for the acting but in my opinion one of the best films I have seen and a true piece of cinema history.
https://youtu.be/fiFeYxlPYy4

Some of the guys acting had just returned from hospitals and in some cases from pow camps just a few months before filming.
How's that for reality?

I agree it is an excellent telling of the British side of the story and well worth watching.

There is an old black and white film from 1957 entitled " Men In War". It shows an infantry platoon in the opening days of the Korean War. Their regiment has been overrun by waves of North Koreans and they have to find their way back to their lines.
The film was so realistic and scary that the U.S. Department of Defense refused any assistance in filming. They thought that it might make people dislike war. Can you imagine?
It was directed by Anthony Mann and starred Robert Ryan and Aldo Ray, two real tough guys and actual combat veterans.
Another frightening real film is "The Steel Helmet", written, produced and directed by the great Sam Fuller, a veteran of infantry combat in North Africa, Italy and Western Europe.

There is an old black and white film from 1957 entitled " Men In War". It shows an infantry platoon in the opening days of the Korean War. Their regiment has been overrun by waves of North Koreans and they have to find their way back to their lines.
The film was so realistic and scary that the U.S. Department of Defense refused any assistance in filming. They thought that it might make people dislike war. Can you imagine?
It was directed by Anthony Mann and starred Robert Ryan and Aldo Ray, two real tough guys and actual combat veterans.
Another frightening real film is "The Steel Helmet", written, produced and directed by the great Sam Fuller, a veteran of infantry combat in North Africa, Italy and Western Europe.

Steel Helmet is a good one very down to earth

There is another movie I want to get hold of, "Theirs is the Glory" made just after WW2. The movie never used film props or actors, but survivors who dropped on Arnhem and ex POWs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theirs_Is_the_Glory

Theirs is the Glory (AKA Men of Arnhem), is a 1946 British war film about the British 1st Airborne Division's involvement in the Battle of Arnhem (17 September to 25 September 1944) during Operation Market Garden in World War II. It was the first film to be made about this battle, and the biggest grossing war movie for nearly a decade. The later film A Bridge Too Far depicts the operation as a whole and includes the British, Polish and American Airborne forces, while Theirs is the Glory focuses solely on the British forces, and their fight at Oosterbeek and Arnhem.

The film was directed by Ulsterman Brian Desmond Hurst, who was himself a veteran of the First World War, having survived Gallipoli where he had served with the Royal Irish Rifles. Hurst was an accomplished film director having been mentored by John Ford in Hollywood and directing more than 30 films including Malta Story, Scrooge and Tom Brown's Schooldays. Hurst was also Ireland's most prolific film director of the 20th Century. The producer was Leonard Castleton Knight, Head of Gaumont British News. The script was written primarily by Louis Golding but honed by Hurst's protege Terence Young (then subsequently went on to direct They Were Not Divided and the early Bond films). Young had been in the Irish Guards with the Guards Armoured Division with XXX Corps seeking to relieve Arnhem during the battle and hence the authenticity of the eventual story-line. The veterans who starred in the film also actively collaborated on the script.

For a pre WWII movie how about the 1968 filmed Charge of the Light Brigade?
Has a very gory, realistic cavalry charge and no CGI to be seen!

Watching the landings at the first of "Band of Brothers" give a little taste of being in combat.
Just a little.

Disappointed to not see:

We Were Soldiers
Gods and Generals
Gettysburg
Lone Survivor
13 Hours
Black Hawk Down (someone mentioned this one, but it's worth listing here)
Alatriste (Has a wonderful forest of pikes scene)
All Quiet on the Western Front (limited action in this one)

And of course: 300 :-D

Weird I didn't like "We were soldiers", it was just too cliche much like Hacksaw Ridge, thought "Black Hawk Down" was hideous and both "Gettysburg" and "Gods and Generals" were somewhat sterile.

The best I ever seen is the " Ban of Brothers" that's the movie based on real story. Before every episode you have speech from the people who were there. Awesome. The next one is Saving Private Ryan- was really good but not like the first one. deer Hunter- beginning is really boring, and If you survive the first hour( 3 hours long) the rest of movie is great. First hour is really boring.

I think Danger Close The Battle OF Long Tan has to be up there as one of the most honest and realistic war films in recent times.

Back