Most Devastating and Widespread War before the 20th Century?

Paddster

Hmm, I've thought about this for a long time, what was the largest and greatest war before the two world wars?

I'd hazard a guess and say the Napoleonic Wars, what do you think?

I'd say (for those you've red my post in the other historic topics)
the Roman Legions one big war. (They were at war with everyone at the time, and succeded)

But that's just me.. A Roman Legion fan :mrgreen:

Napoleonic wars would be my say but greece vs persia did last centuries and that would be my 2nd choice!

The Mongol conquests of the 1200's left something around 4 million plus dead, and at a time in history when that constituted a much bigger chunk of the World population. Since these were a series of successive wars, and not a war between two specific sides, it can't be classified as a single war even though it didn't stop after beginning.

EDIT: Correction, 4 million was the approximate deathtoll during the life of Ghengis Khan and does not account for his successors.

Ive seen figures pointing 300,000 dead dou to battle, with the European population dipping from 21,000,000 to 13,500,00 as a direct cause of the war.

Definetly the Napoleanic Wars, when you think about it that was the frist World War, even America became involved in them, we know it as the War of 1812, funny thing about that, it was not until Napolean was defeated and the British were able to focus all of their attention on America that we started to win.

But the American Civil War (I assume that is what you are talking about.) was not widespread, it was limited to America, granted Britain and France almost became involved, but if that happened we would likely not be talking now becuase the USA and Germany would have won WWI.

would definatly be the napoleonic wars, there were naval battles in all 3 oceans, battles across the whole of europe, america was involved, so it was pretty widespread.

I think that the Spanish conquest of Mexico takes the cake before ww1. Originally, the Spaniards only killed a few thousand in actual combat. But after they settled, the natives population went from something like 17 million to only 3 million 20 years later. This wasn't from executions, but from forced slave labor and mainly disease.

Same with US/Native population. The English settlers killed untold millions by spreading smallpox and many other diseases. I dont know if this counts in this thread though.

The Crusades (I&II), very widespread, with involvement from almost all of western europe, and the persian empire. Huge amount of background involving the vatican, secret societies such as the Priory Of Sion and the Knights Of The Templar. It was a very a far reaching conflict for the time, and long running as well.

I think the crusades because it lasted around 2 centuries.
Nothing motivates people like religon
Ex:The pyramids which were the tallest wonders of the world until the 18th century because the Egyptians believed so strongly in the pharaoh
The crusades were fought because muslims forbited christians from entering Jerusalem and the whole point of the war was getting Jerusalem
Al qieda thinks their fighting a holy war by killing themselves and innocent people
There is thousands of examples

Arab invasion of Iran (PERSIA) in 7-8 AD resulting in death of thousands of Persians who refused to become muslims!

Back