mom forced me to go to rehab in high school

mm237

So here is the deal, when i was in high school i liked to party a lot and i experimented with drugs. My mother thought i was hard core into drugs and forced me to go to rehab. I was a minor when sent so i really didn't have a choice. I was not nor have i ever been dependent upon drugs. I am a senior in college now with great grades. Is there any chance i can get in the marines? will this show up on a medical background check? what do i do?

Find a recruiter, tell him/her the truth, see what they say. BTW it would help if you have not done drugs since rehab. Good luck.

All branches require you to take a urinalysis. If you pass, good to go. Be honest about your history. They will also do an FBI background check on you. I don't see rehab being a problem as a minor as long as you didn't have any possession or intent to sell charges.

Be honest tho!!! They catch you in a lie you are boned ;).

Besides most recruiters lie to get you in anyway so no reason to lie to them. They are like lawyers.

I was under the impression that any history of drug problems (i.e going to rehab, seeking assistance, etc is enough for a pdq, no questions asked) I was told i was going to be kicked out of the house if i did not go. I would hate a stupid reason like this to keep me out. Are you guys sure about this?

I am not a recruiter man. Few years back, my SAW gunner on my team was in prison for grand theft auto and he still made it in. Good soldier too. You have a clean criminal record right? Thats the main thing. You going into rehab as a minor will not bar you from enlistment. Waiver, maybe. Bring it up to the recruiter. They are hard up for people. Your situation, they can definately work for you and its not like you have a felony on record so I wouldn't worry about it.

Go into a recruiting station and just ask. Doesn't matter how old you are when I first went to ask questions I was only 15 and they answered all my questions without hesitation.

You have to remember that is their job to get you in. Recruiters have to meet a quota. Their career depends on it so they will be on your side.

Let me know how it goes bra.

i mean I'm 22 now. its been a while lol. I have a disorderly conduct on my record but that was from breaking up a fight leaving a bar. Thats the only time Ive been in trouble. its a misdemeanor that i only had to pay a 30 dollar fine for. I don't imagine that would look very good on my record though.

lol youre funny. quit spazzing out. i know many soldiers in my unit who got worst record than you. dont sweat it.

I am an ex recruiter and others have already said it best - tell the truth. Juvenile records are usually not available and not normally much of a recruiting factor (as long as the offense is minor). Also it is imperative that the applicant can pass a drug test.
As an ex recruiter (in-voluntary) as well as an Intelligence Analysis, Engineer and Spec. Operations Vet, during a career spanning Viet Nam to the first Gulf War, I take offence to Koponkof‘s comment. Most recruiters do not lie. They work in small communities or sections of cities and if they did lie they wouldn’t be able to function long. Also if a recruit does not complete training it goes against the recruiters record. It is to the recruiters advantage to make the applicant as well informed as possible - lying to them would not be beneficial.
The lying recruiter and the judge giving a guy a choice - the Military or Jail - is mostly hogwash from another era. It does happen on occasion but is the exception rather than the norm.
I question the motives of those who try to explain their often less than honorable service by blaming others.

YEAH whatever guy. Not only did my recruiter lie to me about army life, he also lied about my starting rank. I knew he was lieing from the beginning though and I didn't care. I wanted Infantry and thats it.

I don't know the last time you sat at the desk but its a new ballgame now a days. Just about all the guys i know had lieing recruiters. You remind me of an old squad leader whom I ran into on ft benning not too long ago. He was now a drill sergeant and took personnell offense to my comments about the new privates coming in and NOT KNOWING anything HAVING NO DICIPLINE and BEING HORRIBLE AT PT. Drills write guys off just like recruiters.

Thats fine though. Keep thinking you had an honorable job. All recruiters do is sell the army. they are salesman and your children are the product. I dont believe in the whole coming up to your door and harassing you. I wanted to join so I came to them thats how it should be.

sorry man theres the truth.

Back to the thread. YES RECRUITERS NEED TO MEET A QUOTO AND THEY WILL LIE FOR YOU TO THE BEST OF THEIR ABILITY. the bad ones lie to you. but don't hate recruiters man, just be smart about it. alot of them are pretty good and like i said they are like lawyers.

so tell them whats up with you. im sure youre fine either way,.

thanks man i appreciate it. What do you think about my chances at ocs? I mean i am going to be graduating college soon, why not get paid more and use my degree? what are my chances there?

So i went and talked to a recruiter today. He and his CO both told me to lie about the rehab thing "Your mom made you go when you were 17, it never happened" I felt good about that, but they contacted an oso because i am graduating college soon and they want to recruit officers more apparently. they sent me over there to meet with a captain and he asked me all the same questions. I told him about my disorderly conduct and speeding tickets etc, but Before i left the enlistment office, the regular recruiters told me not to mention it to the captain so I didn't. I really don't know what to do. I Shouldn't be stressed out about this. I feel like if i try and get a commission they will dig alot deeper into my past. I may need a security clearance and get busted in the end. I reallllly don't know what to do at this point

My personal point of view:

If you're going to begin your military career based on an ability to lie or deceive, choose another career.

This isn't something that is going to bar you from enlisting; in fact, it is highly unlikely you'll even need a waiver. Lying about it, however, will earn you a Bad Conduct Discharge when they do find out (and they WILL find out), and you get to spend the rest of your life with your head hung low over one stupid decision you never needed to even lie about in the first place.

You're a young man - the decision is on you. The onus is on you. But if you want to be a truly professional soldier, you need to act in a professional manner in all areas of your life. Lies are not the forte of the American soldier.

As I tell my kids (no, I am not referring to you as a kid), Anyone can do the right thing when everyone is looking. It takes a real man to do the right thing when no one is looking.

Best wishes to you.

So i went and talked to a recruiter today. He and his CO both told me to lie about the rehab thing "Your mom made you go when you were 17, it never happened" I felt good about that, but they contacted an oso because i am graduating college soon and they want to recruit officers more apparently. they sent me over there to meet with a captain and he asked me all the same questions. I told him about my disorderly conduct and speeding tickets etc, but Before i left the enlistment office, the regular recruiters told me not to mention it to the captain so I didn't. I really don't know what to do. I Shouldn't be stressed out about this. I feel like if i try and get a commission they will dig alot deeper into my past. I may need a security clearance and get busted in the end. I reallllly don't know what to do at this point

You must have a security clearance, at any level. This will catch up to you eventually.

looks like im not getting in. . . I don't want to just give up though. I mean if i tell meps that i got forced to rehab i am under the impression that i will be pdq'ed then and there. No questions asked. I personally don't think i can take the risk of compromising my future to get into the military. I really would like to serve, but I don't know if it is in the cards for me.

My advice: Follow your recruiters instructions. Joining the military is a case by case process. There is no general blanket statement for getting in. Nobody is perfect, go with the flow and see what happens.

Back