Military population to total population ratio

playstation60

I was wondering if anyone knew of a place that might have a formula or some sort with the military enlistment to population ratio.

I am trying to come up with a way to guesstimate the military enlistment for a few countries, based off from current and historical data.

Anyone know of a place I can find population and military enlistment totals for various countries during the Korean War, the Cold War, WWII and Vietnam?

Ben

well, i ve heard that a country in peace time should not have an army more than 1% of its population. It seems working for most of countires.

not countries like China, 1% is 13millinon..

i think it's really depends on the country's environment, like canada, what they need army for? 1000 soliders won't change the outcome of a war, and won't start a war either. peace operation? yeah, that's the only use...

k19 said:
i think it's really depends on the country's environment, like canada, what they need army for? 1000 soliders won't change the outcome of a war, and won't start a war either. peace operation? yeah, that's the only use...

Your Canadian, so you don't have an excuse for poor grammer, or ignorance to your countries situation.

You might try looking at the CIA's world fact file, it usually has the amout of people in the army, and the population...from there it shouldn't be too difficult. I'd guesse somewhere around 0.01 percent though.

eh, i am much a new guy here, and i am not canadian, but i am studying here right now.... haven't figure out how to change that little flag yet, but i will, hehe. i really like canadians and their attitudes toward world events. why fight a war if their is a peace chance, right?? i also impressed that Canadians denied to go to Iraq with U.S, and be a responsible country, not like Japanese...that's why people like to come to canada and live there and even proud to become a canadian... anyways, there is way to boot your world standing other than a crashing army.

I think k19 is right about one thing- Canada doesn't need much, just an appeasment force to send on UN missions and the like. It doesn't seem to care about the international scene as much anymore. True, Canada has helped with the fight against Islamo fascist some, but it's little else but a show of loyality. Though why should Canada make strives to control the flow of the world? The USA, and to a much lesser extent Europe, can do all that. I suppose Canada is much better served allocating her resources towards it's "progressive society".

Though I wish some Canadians were a little less critical about it all. It's like the guy who mocks his other brother with his friends, sure, he means no real harm.... but it does get rather annoying.

Back