Military Pistol Caliber Poll

Which Caliber do you think is best?

• Total voters
Here's an article about the Le Mas BMT APLP round. Seems a "security consultant" *cough*merc*coughcough* "tested" it on a convenient insurgent with incredible results.

"It entered his butt and completely destroyed everything in the lower left section of his stomach ... everything was torn apart,” Thomas said.

source:

http://www.armytimes.com/story.php?f=1-292925-2426405.php

It seems that SOCom is stonewalling. It is suggested that this is due to the threat to in house weapons and ammo programs. Wouldn't want a lowly 5.56mm round showing up the shiny new 6.8mm round, would we?

moving0target said:
Here's an article about the Le Mas BMT APLP round. Seems a "security consultant" *cough*merc*coughcough* "tested" it on a convenient insurgent with incredible results.

We don't need to get into a discussion on the differences of PMCs, PSDs and Mercs on this thread, so I'll leave that one alone. :thumb:

Like I said in my other post, the BMT has had great results, and you'd be hard pressed to find anyone that's used it without a hidden agenda to disagree. Thus far, there's been only one loud critic (see article), and he only tested it in jello (ballistic gel), it reacts much differently with that than it does live tissue.

It seems that SOCom is stonewalling. It is suggested that this is due to the threat to in house weapons and ammo programs. Wouldn't want a lowly 5.56mm round showing up the shiny new 6.8mm round, would we?

Yeah, the 6.8, hype, hype, hype. :lol:

The article is pretty old and a lot has changed since then and unfortunately, some hasn't.

Can I get a "hoo-yah" for change when it suits the operators? :lol:

I voted for the .40 S&W. I think it's as close as you can get to an all purpose round. I recently fired a small (concealed carry) semi-auto pistol that was .40 cal and was a little concerned that it would be hard to control but the recoil was light enough to fire several rounds and keep a good grip on the pistol.

Sorry !:stupid: It was just me on forum whilst drunk not paying proper attention to detail.
Leads to misunderstandings=the world as we know it.

PJ24 said:
I have no idea where your reply came from in reference to my post. :???:

I was talking about my own personal experiences, as well as other units experiences with this particular round down range (Afghanistan and Iraq), both in 9mm and .45, since someone asked about the BMT rounds. And yes, we do get some leeway and personal choice in what we carry.

My post didn't even hit at me advocating the entire US military change to the BMT or even from the 9mm. I simply said it was a good round that lives up to its hype. Maybe you meant to quote someone else?

See above

sven hassell said:
Sorry !:stupid: It was just me on forum whilst drunk not paying proper attention to detail.
Leads to misunderstandings=the world as we know it.

No problem, guy! You should see the number of edits I have to do. :p

I just like to reply to anyone that replies to me in case I'm missing something or need to clarify. It's so much easier to get your point across in person, with a bottle of scotch.

HAHAHAHA, I just saw your profile pic. Awesome!

Last edited:
As yes, the REMFs. THe all knowing REMFs. Bastards is what they are. Monday Moring Quarter Backing is what they do.

.40 S&W is still my choice. LEOs are going to it like a moth to a flame. And strangley in America at least. Firearms and calibers that are popular with Civilians and LEOs go with what the military uses. Hence the popularity of the .45 ACP, 9x19mm, 7.62x51mm (.308 Winchester), and .30-06 Springfield.

But in the pistol caliber market for the last fifteen years. Civilains have been following what LEOs adopt, not what the military is adopting. And LEOs are setting the stage today.

The civilians/LEO lack of faith in the 9X19mm is from the 1986 Miami shootout.

The FBI at the time issued a 9x19mm S&W 5906 Pistol or a S&W Model 60 in .38 Special. The scumbags held a Mini-14 rifle, 12 gauge Shotgun, and two .357 Magnum revolvers.

In the end, the FBI lost two agents because of the fire fight. Read the article at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FBI_Miami_shootout,_1986.

It is what started the creation of the 10mm Auto. The problem with that was that smaller people couldn't fire it. So S&W lowered the powder charge and created what is called 10mm Lite or 10mm FBI.

Well, the gun was still huge; S&W figured if they could just make the casing smaller. Problem sovled. And they did. They created the .40 S&W.

It was still more powerful than the 9x19mm and could still be controlled unlike the 10mm Auto or .45 ACP.

It is now the most popular caliber in Law Enforcement and is gaining the #1 spot in the civilian market to. Most new pistols that hit the markets are chambered in .40 S&W before any other caliber.

Look at S&W's new S&W M&P Series Pistol and also the new Beretta PX4 Storm.

Springfield Armory's XD40 is their biggest seller.

GLOCK's Model 22 and Model 23 is theirs too. It's also the number one issued pistol in Law Enforcement. Over 60% of American LEOs carry and issue the .40 S&W GLOCk as their pistol and caliber. The FBI issues them as their standard pistol. Also the Department of Homeland Security issues the .40 S&W to all of it's agencies too.

I prefered the S&W Sigma, Glock look alike in .40 stainless slide and barrel. I put more than 4000 rounds through it with no jams ever. I loaded frangible rounds for home defense and carried Federal 140 gr. Hydro-shocks for out of the house. Had a CCW and carried in a fanny-pack holster. I thank god I never had to use it but felt better knowing it would never fail to do the job.

Strange little fact about S&W and GLOCK.

S&W devolped the .40 S&W yet GLOCK was the first company to have a firearm produced in that claiber. Also, S&W pays a royality fee for each Sigma sold. The Sigma is a true clone of the GLOCK. To the point that some parts could be switched.

5.56, since you seem to know your stuff, I have a question:

If you could choose any handgun to outfit the American armed forces, which would it be?

FBI is switching to 10mm auto, just FYI.

I like .45 cal ACP. I've shot it, even though I weigh 108 soaking wet, the recoil is manageable and the round is well-proven.

deerslayer said:
FBI is switching to 10mm auto, just FYI.

I like .45 cal ACP. I've shot it, even though I weigh 108 soaking wet, the recoil is manageable and the round is well-proven.

Sorry, but that info is at least twenty years old. The .40S&W was born because of the FBI and S&W.

After the Miami Shootout, the FBI wanted a better caliber than the 9x19mm but they didn't want a .45ACP because of it's size. THey went with the 1omm Auto. Problem was, most folks couldn't handle the 10mm Auto. So the FBI loaded it lighter. Hence a load called 10mm Auto Lite or 10mm Auto FBI.

Well, S&W took the 10mm Auto cartridge with the FBI powder load and saw all of that emepty space. So they cut down the casing and BANG! The .40S&W was born.

THe FBI dropped the 10mm Auto like a cold and went with the .40S&W and the GLOCK 22 & GLOCK 23 (Funny fact, GLOCK beat S&W in marketing a pistol chambered in .40S&W.)

major liability said:
5.56, since you seem to know your stuff, I have a question:

If you could choose any handgun to outfit the American armed forces, which would it be?
That's a hard question to answer.

Under the current regulations. The pistol must be a traditional double/single action pistol with a manual saftey and de-cocker.

GLOCK
S&W Sigma, S&W SW99, S&W M&P
Walther P99
Kimber KPD
Steyr M
FN Forty-Nine
CZ 100, CZ 110, CZ-G2000
Springfield Armory XD Series

All of those listed above do not fall under DoD guidelines.

If I could bypass the guidelines. I'd do it this way.

General issue for infantry and other combat soldiers.
GLOCK 22
Tankers and divers.
GLOCK 23
Pilots and Air Crew.
GLOCK 23 or GLOCK 27

Glock-22.jpg

Glock-23.jpg

Glock-27.jpg

For all the info on these pistols
GLOCK 22 http://www.teamglock.com/Glock-Buyers-Guide/Glock-22.htm
GLOCK 23 http://www.teamglock.com/Glock-Buyers-Guide/Glock-23.htm
GLOCK 27 http://www.teamglock.com/Glock-Buyers-Guide/Glock-27.htm

I am sensing a Glock theme with you, 5.56. You don't like Glock or anything, do ya? :mrgreen:

I'll stick with my "unofficial" sig.

Back