Military Musician

TubaMan

I'm currently 17 years old, and I've been thinking about enlisting in the military as a musician for a while now. I'm thinking about joining one of the Marine's 12 Fleet Bands, or the Air Force's Concert Band. (I'm leaning more toward the Marines)

I'm currently exercising to meet the weight requirement, so far I've lost about 20lbs and I weigh about 270lbs. The Marine recruiter I talked to said my weight needs to be about 202lbs, and the Airman I talked to said I should be around 212lbs (I'm 6'2").
I've been studying for my ASVAB, and I've been watching a few BMT videos for the Marine's and Air Force's BMT. I'm also practicing for the audition(s)

One of my reasons for wanting to enlist is that I love America, and I want to be one of the many men who inspire future soldiers. Another reason is that most of my family members were in the military. My cousin is an MP for the Army, and my grandpa is a retired Marine.
I also understand that in a time of war that I'll be tasked with security, and will be deployed into a combat zone. I am willing to help protect this country and my fellow soldiers.

I would like to ask what is it like to be a musician for the military, and what do you usually do? (besides playing concerts, recording, and practicing).
What should I do to prepare for BMT?

I plan on enlisting when I graduate from highschool this upcoming school year.

Last edited:
I'm currently 17 years old, and I've been thinking about enlisting in the military as a musician for a while now. I'm thinking about joining one of the Marine's 12 Fleet Bands, or the Air Force's Concert Band. (I'm leaning more toward the Marines)

I'm currently exercising to meet the weight requirement, so far I've lost about 20lbs and I weigh about 270lbs. The Marine recruiter I talked to said my weight needs to be about 202lbs, and the Airman I talked to said I should be around 212lbs (I'm 6'2").
I've been studying for my ASVAB, and I've been watching a few BMT videos for the Marine's and Air Force's BMT. I'm also practicing for the audition(s)

One of my reasons for wanting to enlist is that I love America, and I want to be one of the many men who inspire future soldiers. Another reason is that most of my family members were in the military. My cousin is an MP for the Army, and my grandpa is a retired Marine.
I also understand that in a time of war that I'll be tasked with security, and will be deployed into a combat zone. I am willing to help protect this country and my fellow soldiers.

I would like to ask what is it like to be a musician for the military, and what do you usually do? (besides playing concerts, recording, and practicing).
What should I do to prepare for BMT?

I plan on enlisting when I graduate fron highschool this upcoming school year.

Your recruiter might be better to answer your queries. Another possible approach would be to contact the bands directly. Go to where the bands are and speak to the members of the bands.

Good Luck,

Your recruiter might be better to answer your queries. Another possible approach would be to contact the bands directly. Go to where the bands are and speak to the members of the bands.

Good Luck,

Thanks for the advice.
I'll speak to my recruiter over the weekend.

Don't do it

Hey dude,

I was a Marine Corps musician at Camp Pendleton for 4 years. I'm now, very fortunately, in the USMC reserves.

Being a musician sucks. Everything cool about being a Marine is taken away, and all of the worst parts of being a Marine are magnified times ten. Do you like standing in formation for ceremonies that last anywhere from an hour to two hours at a time (position of attention, warrior)? Get ready, musicians get to do that 3-5 times a week.

Do you like being made fun of at every turn by Marines who think that your service is somehow less valuable than theirs? Get ready, that is coming.

Do you want to passionately hate music for the rest of your life? Get ready, the 200th time through the National Anthem or Stars and Stripes Forever will make you want to shoot yourself in the face.

You sound just like me, in that I wanted to join the Marine Corps Band so that I can serve in combat, if necessary, while still being a musician. Here is what I suggest:

Join the reserves to start; get into a real MOS that will help you in a real career (like intelligence). Once you finish your training and your a regular select reservist, start going to college and play music in the college band. You'll enjoy it, you'll be a Marine, and you won't want to shoot yourself in the face. If you want more info, feel free to ask.

Back