Military heritage in Washington, DC

Shmack

Hey guys, the thing is that i'm not too skilled at googling and yahooing but i'd like to know if there are some military museums or memorial complexes in Washington DC worth seeing, except for the Arlington cemetery (i know it's in Virginia). This forum is just the first place to ask which came to my mind.

I've been to the US capital twice and seen generally nothing which is shame i think. Now i'm going for a 3 days duty trip and it would be great if you recommend smth to me.

Of course, a perfect variant would be to meet up and whip off a couple of beers.

:salute2:

I'm in the area.
Military stuff... most would be bases and that's pretty much off limits. There is the Air and Space Museum which has military stuff in it. There's also the Spy Museum which is also interesting. Arlington Cemetary is in Virginia but it's practically DC. There are some monuments such as the Vietnam War monument (the wall with names), the Korean War Monument and more recently, the World War II monument as well.

Still a few years away but the US Army is finally getting a National Museum. It will be located just outside Washington DC.

"The Army’s National Landmark
Fort Belvoir, Virginia, one of the country’s most prominent defense installations, will be home to the new National Army Museum, which is scheduled to open its doors to the public in 2015.

Just 30 minutes south of the National Mall in Washington, DC, and ten minutes from Mount Vernon, historic home of the nation’s first commander-in-chief, Fort Belvoir is the ideal site for the National Army Museum. The Museum will be publicly accessible and is conveniently located at a major crossroads -- just two miles from I-95 and Route 1."

http://www.armyhistory.org/ahf.aspx?pgID=884&p=3.1.2.0

Don't forget the National Museum of the Marine Corps which is only about 30 miles or so from DC. Its AWESOME!!! :)

If you go to the National Mall you can see the WWII memorial, the Washington monument and the Lincoln memorial. They are all right there. The Korean War memorial and the Vietnam War memorial are really close too.

Back