Messerschmitt Bf 109-G4 emergency landing

Kesse81

Banned
The rare Messerschmitt Bf 109 (Red 7) seen on the ground and in the air on saturday the 17th of August at Roskilde Airshow 2013 in Denmark.

In the show the next day it did make an emergency landing in a cornfield near the airport. Luckily with no harm to the skilled pilot Klaus Plasa, and only minor damage to the plane.

The reason was that this Bf 109 is not intended to do negative G flight, for example, level flight upside down which the airplane did immediately before the engine stopped. In the plane's Flight Manual, there was no restrictions about that, and therefore the pilot could not know about that limitation. Restriction markings regarding negative G fligh is now put into the Flight Manual.

Messerschmitt Bf 109 G-4, the flight

Was there a Spitfire in the area?:angel:

Both a Spitfire and a P-51 Mustang. Flown by the same pilot.
He claimed he was sitting in the mess hall and drank beer at the time.
t2635.gif

Supermarine Spitfire - the flight

Mustang P-51 - the flight

My dad witnessed a Spitfire shooting down 3 German bombers one after the other while attempting to bomb the Royal Small Arms Factory at Enfield Lock. One of the bombers strafed the local pub as he was going down with my Granddad inside the pub drinking a pint, my Granddad hit the floor and was most annoyed when his pint got blown to bits. The bomber crashed in the road behind their flat taking out a section of houses. As far as I know there are bullet pock marks on the pub walls to this day, I remember seeing them as a boy.

My grandfather was a little boy in 1945, but he still remembers the day when he was working in the field and an American P-51 Mustang flew past him at low altitude and the pilot tossed out a candy bar to him.

Last edited:
The rare Messerschmitt Bf 109 (Red 7) seen on the ground and in the air on saturday the 17th of August at Roskilde Airshow 2013 in Denmark.

Isn't that one a rebuilt Hispano Buchòn and not a "genuine" Bf 109, my understanding was that all Bf-109's used in the movie Battle of Britain were of Spanish origin.

Isn't that one a rebuilt Hispano Buchòn and not a "genuine" Bf 109, my understanding was that all Bf-109's used in the movie Battle of Britain were of Spanish origin.

You are correct Monty, all the BF109's used in the Movie were Merlin powered. In one scene the cowling is off of one aircraft, it can be seen that the engine is not inverted like the original.

I believe you're right. It was re-engined with a DB605.

Exactly it is a post war Spanish-built Bf-109-G2 with Rolls-Royce Merlín 40-500 engine at some point it was refited with a Damlier Benz DB605.

You are correct Monty, all the BF109's used in the Movie were Merlin powered. In one scene the cowling is off of one aircraft, it can be seen that the engine is not inverted like the original.

Hehe even in great movies continuity can still be a bastard.
It still amazes me how movies still roll out with German armour looking amazingly similar to T-34s and 55s.

Back