McCain chooses Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin for V.P. - Page 3


Read more about Originally Posted by mmarsh To All Suppose the president were to die in office, which VP is better qualified tp be POTUS? Palin or Biden? Look at the resumes its not even

Military Medals Store

  International Military Forums > >

User Name
Password

 
August 29th, 2008   #21
03USMC
 
 
Well Del-Boy I believe we are about to join you.


Sgt. Rafael Peralta ,United States Marine Corps
Company A, 1st Bn, 3rd Marine Regt, 3rd Marine Divison

We will never forget your valor and sacrifice.

Semper Fi !
 
-
August 29th, 2008   #22
AikiRooster
 
 
Here, Hear.




Anger itself does more harm than the condition which aroused anger.
- Samurai maxim
 
August 29th, 2008   #23
The Other Guy
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Boy
For what it is worth, here is an example of heart-felt friendly advice published a couple of days ago.

Letter of the Day:-

There might be a fresh political wind blowing across the US, but in Britain we've already experienced change and learned that it comes at a price. ("Grand political rhetoric is now the language of the snake oil salesman" Aug 27).

Tony Blair came to power promising to blow away the cob-webs of Tory rule. He promised a corruption-free government, a health service to be proud of, and education, education, education.

But he left us with more illiterate school-leavers, people dying through lack of drugs, two million people without an NHS dentist, immigration out of control, and an economy on the verge of bankruptcy.

So when the American people go to the polls they should remember that change isn't always the solution to the social ills of a nation.
Though change may not be the solution, staying the course and running into the ground (ala McCain) definitely is not the solution.

Wild Card or Failure. Take your pick.


I'm the bleeding heart liberal your mother warned you about.
 
August 30th, 2008   #24
mmarsh
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03USMC
Nor does anyone know exactly what you'll get with a Obama presidency. If you can pin that down thru all the yada, yada, yada Change, blah, blah Better Nation, yadda yaddadadadadadada the world will like us again. Blah Blah social change, more change, the world will not hate us anymore, stuff that keeps coming out of the Dem camp. Well good for you. But get ready to reinterpert next week cause thats about the change cycle.

I'm not prepared to drink from Obamas vat o' kool aid yet, probably won't ever be.

What I want is solid answers and solid platforms. But I'm probably hoping in vain and will have to put up the smoke and mirriors.
Precisely what I was saying. I am not saying I know Obama better than the conservatives do. What I am saying is that I am willing to take a chance on him because I know what exactly a McCain Adminstration will be like. Another 4 more years of war, economic deprivation, fear, hatred, and outright gloom. I put my money on hope over fear any day. Enough is enough.

The Other Guy summed it up best, its a choice of the Wild Card or the status quo, and the status quo sucks. I think we all agree on that.

And If Obama screws up then we will pick someone else in 2012, but there is no way I am voting for another 4 more years, not after the last 8. There is already a chance that the damage Bush caused is permanent, we really don't need the situation any worse.

And remember McCain is 72 and in poor health, this job alone has killed more than one US President. So the chances Mrs Palin might become Commander in Chief are quite good. I don't wont her as President, she has no experience in anything but local Alaska politics, and she is much too conservative (especially now as the country is shifting back toward the center) and her politics are those of George W Bush. I pass.

Furthermore the biggest issue is the economy, McCain has nobody who could be considered expert in economic matters. This is especially bad for the GOP because economics is their Achilles heel.

McCain made a serious mistake, he should have gone with experiance in DC like Lieberman or an economic guru like Romney. Instead he went with an religious extremist who knows sports, hunting, and fishing but not politics. I bet she couldn't name the PM of India (just like Bush could name the PM of Pakistan when he was elected). And when she has to negotiate between Israelis and Palestineans what she going to do talk her hockey picks, or is she going to talk evangelical Christianity which is bound to offend BOTH of them?

We don't need another ignoramus in the WH.


"My center is giving way, my right is in retreat situation excellent. I shall attack." -Foch

I am from NYC. I fly a French flag because I work in Paris.

Last edited by mmarsh; August 30th, 2008 at 11:53..
 
August 30th, 2008   #25
DTop
 
 
mmarsh and everyone else, we can do without terms like "ignoramus" or "stupid". Let's not allow a discussion to degenerate into a childish name calling circus.

Back on topic: The fact of the matter is McCain has a plan for ending the war. Obama has plans to deploy more troops to Afghanistan. So, no matter how I look at it, there will be war therefore, saying that there will be a continuation of Bush policies is inherently incorrect.

As far as President Bush doing permanent damage, I'd rather that happen than have terrorists doing damage here in America.

Sarah Palin may be conservative but I believe she is much closer to the average American's viewpoint than the Democrats are. Once you get out of the liberal centers in this country, mainstream America is rather conservative. Underestimating this fact, I believe will the Democratic party's undoing once again.

John McCain has a history of being a radical and his selection of Palin only underscores that.

Palin is exactly who the Republicans needed and I think she'd make a great President if circumstances place her in that position. Her selection has taken the teeth out of the Dems anti-Washington insider rhetoric.

As far as possible negotiaing between Isarelis and Arabs, I'm not sure that she'd be worse than an inexperienced Muslim in the same position.

Democrats want change? Well, here you go.


I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which in truth, they are.
Gen. W.T. Sherman
 
August 30th, 2008   #26
mmarsh
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTop
mmarsh and everyone else, we can do without terms like "ignoramus" or "stupid". Let's not allow a discussion to degenerate into a childish name calling circus.

Back on topic: The fact of the matter is McCain has a plan for ending the war. Obama has plans to deploy more troops to Afghanistan. So, no matter how I look at it, there will be war therefore, saying that there will be a continuation of Bush policies is inherently incorrect.

As far as President Bush doing permanent damage, I'd rather that happen than have terrorists doing damage here in America.

Sarah Palin may be conservative but I believe she is much closer to the average American's viewpoint than the Democrats are. Once you get out of the liberal centers in this country, mainstream America is rather conservative. Underestimating this fact, I believe will the Democratic party's undoing once again.

John McCain has a history of being a radical and his selection of Palin only underscores that.

Palin is exactly who the Republicans needed and I think she'd make a great President if circumstances place her in that position. Her selection has taken the teeth out of the Dems anti-Washington insider rhetoric.

As far as possible negotiaing between Isarelis and Arabs, I'm not sure that she'd be worse than an inexperienced Muslim in the same position.

Democrats want change? Well, here you go.
Sorry Boss. For clarification I wasn't calling McCain stupid (I don't think hes dumb, I think hes just wrong), only a certain decision he made, I should have wrote made a "stupid decision", I changed that part and I'll be more careful next time. As for "Ignoramus" granted its not a compliment, but its not an insult either. It just means some who is woefully out of touch, and when all you know is Alaska politics that is being ignorant at least on a national level. But Ill try being more clear next time so that my comments are not interpreted as an attack.

1. You Forget that a MAJOR difference between the McCain and the Obama plan is that McCain wants to establish permanent military bases in Iraq. He will withdraw occupational forces but not all military forces. I have said this before, as long as there is a single US boot in Iraq the war will continue. Iraq is becoming increasingly nationalistic our presence will not be tolerated for long. Remember the biggest supporter of the war in the Senate was John McCain and this idea is right out of the neocon playbook.

2. Terrorist attacks can be spectular, and kill lots of people but they dont leave any major permanent damage. Less than 6 months after 9-11 things had (mostly) returned to normal in NYC (and it was much sooner for the rest of the USA). But when you are in a position such as POTUS the damage for your actions/inaction can literally be devestating. For example: Since WWII America was considered the Moral authority of the world. But how on earth can we be a moral authority when we deny human rights, torture, invade countries for no valid reason, etc. No country thinks of us as a moral authority now, thats gone. Can it be regained? Probably not, it would take Foreign policy wizardry. Bush's recklessness in Foreign policy hurt America far more than bin Laden could ever dream about. I could state other examples on this. OBL is a mosquito bite compared to a out of control POTUS.

3. What you say about mainstream America being conservative was true a few years ago. But that has now changed recently on a massive scale. All over the country we see a shift to the center (not the left), this election there are conservative states now in play this election that were a GOP lock 4 years ago, including Texas, Georgia, North+South Dokota, Montana, Colorado, Iowa and Virginia. If you look at the issues, most Americans are OPPOSED to hardcore social conservative. They are overwhelming Pro-choice, they support a strong seperation of church and state, they do not like discriminatory anti-gay legislation (or gay marriage), and they are tired of constant militarism of conservative politicians.

4. True McCain has always been a maverick, but most of todays newspapers are saying hes taking a huge gamble. I think he has made a terrible political error here by choosing a person who is more radical than most people are, a person who experiance is inferior to Obama thus undercutting McCains best weapon again Obama, and all in hope of attracting Hillary supporters whom are the most liberal in the Democratic Party. Imagine Obama trying to soliciate the congragation of James Dobson, thats about the same odds. I have reading the liberals in the press and their user comments...they are rejoicing.

5. True, but why have an "inexperiance" anybody? I think McCain could have found someone abit more knowledge about that part of the world. McCain had a change to score points on Obama and he blew it by this pick.

Last edited by mmarsh; August 30th, 2008 at 14:37..
 
August 30th, 2008   #27
AikiRooster
 
 
I don't think McCain's in poor health.
 
August 30th, 2008   #28
WNxRogue
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AikiRooster
I don't think McCain's in poor health.
At that age, your health can deteriorate very quickly. My grandfather was perfectly healthy when he turned 73. 6 months later he was on his death bed.


"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
 
August 30th, 2008   #29
AikiRooster
 
 
Could say the same about black folks with high blood pressure and hypertension, no matter the age.
 
August 30th, 2008   #30
WNxRogue
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AikiRooster
Could say the same about black folks with high blood pressure and hypertension, no matter the age.
You could, but the risk of that is significantly lower then the risk of a 72 year old man deteriorating quickly.
 



Tags
alaska, election 08, gov, mccain, palin

Similar Topics
McCain Is Vocal On War, But Silent On Son's Service
John McCain Is Betting Big On Iraq
Bush Says McCain Will Stay The Course In Iraq
In Fla., McCain And Romney Argue About Iraq
Troop Surge In Iraq Would Have McCain In Tow

MilitaryClothing.com