McCain chooses Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin for V.P.

For what it is worth, here is an example of heart-felt friendly advice published a couple of days ago.

Letter of the Day:-

There might be a fresh political wind blowing across the US, but in Britain we've already experienced change and learned that it comes at a price. ("Grand political rhetoric is now the language of the snake oil salesman" Aug 27).

Tony Blair came to power promising to blow away the cob-webs of Tory rule. He promised a corruption-free government, a health service to be proud of, and education, education, education.

But he left us with more illiterate school-leavers, people dying through lack of drugs, two million people without an NHS dentist, immigration out of control, and an economy on the verge of bankruptcy.

So when the American people go to the polls they should remember that change isn't always the solution to the social ills of a nation.
Though change may not be the solution, staying the course and running into the ground (ala McCain) definitely is not the solution.

Wild Card or Failure. Take your pick.

Nor does anyone know exactly what you'll get with a Obama presidency. If you can pin that down thru all the yada, yada, yada Change, blah, blah Better Nation, yadda yaddadadadadadada the world will like us again. Blah Blah social change, more change, the world will not hate us anymore, stuff that keeps coming out of the Dem camp. Well good for you. But get ready to reinterpert next week cause thats about the change cycle.

I'm not prepared to drink from Obamas vat o' kool aid yet, probably won't ever be.

What I want is solid answers and solid platforms. But I'm probably hoping in vain and will have to put up the smoke and mirriors.

Precisely what I was saying. I am not saying I know Obama better than the conservatives do. What I am saying is that I am willing to take a chance on him because I know what exactly a McCain Adminstration will be like. Another 4 more years of war, economic deprivation, fear, hatred, and outright gloom. I put my money on hope over fear any day. Enough is enough.

The Other Guy summed it up best, its a choice of the Wild Card or the status quo, and the status quo sucks. I think we all agree on that.

And If Obama screws up then we will pick someone else in 2012, but there is no way I am voting for another 4 more years, not after the last 8. There is already a chance that the damage Bush caused is permanent, we really don't need the situation any worse.

And remember McCain is 72 and in poor health, this job alone has killed more than one US President. So the chances Mrs Palin might become Commander in Chief are quite good. I don't wont her as President, she has no experience in anything but local Alaska politics, and she is much too conservative (especially now as the country is shifting back toward the center) and her politics are those of George W Bush. I pass.

Furthermore the biggest issue is the economy, McCain has nobody who could be considered expert in economic matters. This is especially bad for the GOP because economics is their Achilles heel.

McCain made a serious mistake, he should have gone with experiance in DC like Lieberman or an economic guru like Romney. Instead he went with an religious extremist who knows sports, hunting, and fishing but not politics. I bet she couldn't name the PM of India (just like Bush could name the PM of Pakistan when he was elected). And when she has to negotiate between Israelis and Palestineans what she going to do talk her hockey picks, or is she going to talk evangelical Christianity which is bound to offend BOTH of them?

We don't need another ignoramus in the WH.

Last edited:
mmarsh and everyone else, we can do without terms like "ignoramus" or "stupid". Let's not allow a discussion to degenerate into a childish name calling circus.

Back on topic: The fact of the matter is McCain has a plan for ending the war. Obama has plans to deploy more troops to Afghanistan. So, no matter how I look at it, there will be war therefore, saying that there will be a continuation of Bush policies is inherently incorrect.

As far as President Bush doing permanent damage, I'd rather that happen than have terrorists doing damage here in America.

Sarah Palin may be conservative but I believe she is much closer to the average American's viewpoint than the Democrats are. Once you get out of the liberal centers in this country, mainstream America is rather conservative. Underestimating this fact, I believe will the Democratic party's undoing once again.

John McCain has a history of being a radical and his selection of Palin only underscores that.

Palin is exactly who the Republicans needed and I think she'd make a great President if circumstances place her in that position. Her selection has taken the teeth out of the Dems anti-Washington insider rhetoric.

As far as possible negotiaing between Isarelis and Arabs, I'm not sure that she'd be worse than an inexperienced Muslim in the same position.

Democrats want change? Well, here you go.

mmarsh and everyone else, we can do without terms like "ignoramus" or "stupid". Let's not allow a discussion to degenerate into a childish name calling circus.

Back on topic: The fact of the matter is McCain has a plan for ending the war. Obama has plans to deploy more troops to Afghanistan. So, no matter how I look at it, there will be war therefore, saying that there will be a continuation of Bush policies is inherently incorrect.

As far as President Bush doing permanent damage, I'd rather that happen than have terrorists doing damage here in America.

Sarah Palin may be conservative but I believe she is much closer to the average American's viewpoint than the Democrats are. Once you get out of the liberal centers in this country, mainstream America is rather conservative. Underestimating this fact, I believe will the Democratic party's undoing once again.

John McCain has a history of being a radical and his selection of Palin only underscores that.

Palin is exactly who the Republicans needed and I think she'd make a great President if circumstances place her in that position. Her selection has taken the teeth out of the Dems anti-Washington insider rhetoric.

As far as possible negotiaing between Isarelis and Arabs, I'm not sure that she'd be worse than an inexperienced Muslim in the same position.

Democrats want change? Well, here you go.

Sorry Boss. For clarification I wasn't calling McCain stupid (I don't think hes dumb, I think hes just wrong), only a certain decision he made, I should have wrote made a "stupid decision", I changed that part and I'll be more careful next time. As for "Ignoramus" granted its not a compliment, but its not an insult either. It just means some who is woefully out of touch, and when all you know is Alaska politics that is being ignorant at least on a national level. But Ill try being more clear next time so that my comments are not interpreted as an attack.

1. You Forget that a MAJOR difference between the McCain and the Obama plan is that McCain wants to establish permanent military bases in Iraq. He will withdraw occupational forces but not all military forces. I have said this before, as long as there is a single US boot in Iraq the war will continue. Iraq is becoming increasingly nationalistic our presence will not be tolerated for long. Remember the biggest supporter of the war in the Senate was John McCain and this idea is right out of the neocon playbook.

2. Terrorist attacks can be spectular, and kill lots of people but they dont leave any major permanent damage. Less than 6 months after 9-11 things had (mostly) returned to normal in NYC (and it was much sooner for the rest of the USA). But when you are in a position such as POTUS the damage for your actions/inaction can literally be devestating. For example: Since WWII America was considered the Moral authority of the world. But how on earth can we be a moral authority when we deny human rights, torture, invade countries for no valid reason, etc. No country thinks of us as a moral authority now, thats gone. Can it be regained? Probably not, it would take Foreign policy wizardry. Bush's recklessness in Foreign policy hurt America far more than bin Laden could ever dream about. I could state other examples on this. OBL is a mosquito bite compared to a out of control POTUS.

3. What you say about mainstream America being conservative was true a few years ago. But that has now changed recently on a massive scale. All over the country we see a shift to the center (not the left), this election there are conservative states now in play this election that were a GOP lock 4 years ago, including Texas, Georgia, North+South Dokota, Montana, Colorado, Iowa and Virginia. If you look at the issues, most Americans are OPPOSED to hardcore social conservative. They are overwhelming Pro-choice, they support a strong seperation of church and state, they do not like discriminatory anti-gay legislation (or gay marriage), and they are tired of constant militarism of conservative politicians.

4. True McCain has always been a maverick, but most of todays newspapers are saying hes taking a huge gamble. I think he has made a terrible political error here by choosing a person who is more radical than most people are, a person who experiance is inferior to Obama thus undercutting McCains best weapon again Obama, and all in hope of attracting Hillary supporters whom are the most liberal in the Democratic Party. Imagine Obama trying to soliciate the congragation of James Dobson, thats about the same odds. I have reading the liberals in the press and their user comments...they are rejoicing.

5. True, but why have an "inexperiance" anybody? I think McCain could have found someone abit more knowledge about that part of the world. McCain had a change to score points on Obama and he blew it by this pick.

Last edited:
I don't think McCain's in poor health.

The man has had several bouts of malignant melanoma (thats the most dangerous form of skin cancer) he has had heart issues, his body is still damaged from his 6 years of torture, hes about to take the most stressful job in the world, and hes already 72 years old.

Other than that, he's in fine health.

Incidentally my own father is 72, never had a single health issue and personally thinks McCain is too old and infirm to be President.

The Other Guy summed it up best, its a choice of the Wild Card or the status quo, and the status quo sucks. I think we all agree on that.

And If Obama screws up then we will pick someone else in 2012, but there is no way I am voting for another 4 more years, not after the last 8. There is already a chance that the damage Bush caused is permanent, we really don't need the situation any worse.

In a lot of ways radical change can be as bad as the status quo though, I think McCain is significantly different enough from Bush to move things in the right direction although not at any real pace (which isnt necessarily a bad thing) however I don't like his chances of surviving an 8 year presidency and I don't see the point in supporting a 4 year candidate so in this case you really need to determine whether his choice in VP is the person you want for a president.

Personally like many outsiders in the election I really don't care who gets elected as I suspect much of the world will simply breath a sigh of relief that Bush has gone.

In a lot of ways radical change can be as bad as the status quo though, I think McCain is significantly different enough from Bush to move things in the right direction although not at any real pace (which isnt necessarily a bad thing) however I don't like his chances of surviving an 8 year presidency and I don't see the point in supporting a 4 year candidate so in this case you really need to determine whether his choice in VP is the person you want for a president.

Personally like many outsiders in the election I really don't care who gets elected as I suspect much of the world will simply breath a sigh of relief that Bush has gone.

In what way? The only differences I see in John McCain and Bush is personality. McCain is smarter, not as arrogant, nasty, ignorant, and more competent than Bush.

However on the issues They agree on all major issues including Iraq, the economy, immigration, foreign affairs, social security, healthcare, support for big business, economy, etc

Since 2000, Senator McCain voted with Bush 95 PERCENT of the time.

http://www.factcheck.org/askfactcheck/is_it_true_john_mccain_voted_with.html

Not that much of a difference in reality. Bush might be gone in January but his ideas wont be. Trust you will not get that breathe of fresh air under McCain. Better than Bush? yes but not by much

AikiRooster

Thats probably because they have heard his idea to privatize social security exactly like Bush tried and failed to do. The moment the subject comes up this election every SS recipient over 65 becomes a Obama supporter. Bush fell on his face when he tried to do the samething.

Last edited:
In what way? The only differences I see in John McCain and Bush is personality. McCain is smarter, not as arrogant, nasty, ignorant, and more competent than Bush.

So by electing him you will end up with more competent, intelligent and personable president than you currently have which can't be a bad thing or you can get an unknown quantity in the form of Obama (this doesn't make him good or bad).

So by electing him you will end up with more competent, intelligent and personable president than you currently have which can't be a bad thing or you can get an unknown quantity in the form of Obama (this doesn't make him good or bad).

On the question of personality; Obama has a better reputation. Even Republicans will admit McCain is not easy to get along with. His fits of rage on the senate floor are well documented. Is McCain better than Bush? YES; but as I said that bar is very low and anybody here could pass it.

But personality is not the all important question. LBJ and Nixon were known as mean SOBs but were good presidents. The question is issues. Obama ideas are untried and unknown, McCains ideas are well known, well tried and have consistently failed, especially the economic ones.

To All

Suppose the president were to die in office, which VP is better qualified tp be POTUS? Palin or Biden? Look at the resumes its not even close. Palin has less experience than Obama and Biden has more experience than McCain

Last edited:
If you're just going to repeat the same thing on every thread, shouldn't you just put it in your signature and save yourself the trouble?
Heh,heh, I'm watching this with great amusement, but I think we might have to get Redleg to get some blood gutters dug around the site if McCain falls on his butt.

Personally I don't think it will happen, but if it does some people are going to fall hard.

On the question of personality; Obama has a better reputation. Even Republicans will admit McCain is not easy to get along with. His fits of rage on the senate floor are well documented. Is McCain better than Bush? YES; but as I said that bar is very low and anybody here could pass it.

In terms of a foreign view point we don't really care about either of them domestically they can run the US economy into the ground for all we care they only important factor outside the US is whether they can be worked with on foreign affairs and to be honest compared to the current bunch I think either candidate will be a huge improvement.

From a world point of view I think it fair to say that the majority only cares that Bush leaves office because I doubt that in terms of foreign affairs you could possibly elect anyone worse.

However if I was looking at this from a domestic point of view I would be wary of Obama simply because he is an unknown quantity and sometimes the old adage of better the devil you know applies but that being said I do think McCain is too old to last 8 years in office which is why I said in the original post that in voting for McCain you also have to consider how well his VP choice will do in the role of president in necessary and if you don't believe they can do the job then you would have to seriously question voting for McCain.

Back