Marines

Vitaly

As an person in the Army DEP, I have a question. I do not know much about the Marines, but I am interested in one thing. How come Marines have such pride and belief that they are the roughest and toughest branch of the Military? I mean this in no offending way and respect all service members equally. I'm just wondering. From my research I have seen that the Marines are considered the most "military". ( http://usmilitary.about.com/cs/joiningup/a/recruiter1_2.htm ). If that is true how come they don't have their own Airborne School, Ranger School, SOTIC, and SFAS?

It's called Esprit de Corps. The Culture of the Corps is a Warrior Culture. Every Marine a Rifleman etc.

Marines believe the Corps is the best because they are Marines and it's their Corps. It's their family from the day they graduate Boot until the day they die.

The Marine Corps Mission is different. The lack of Jump School, Ranger, Special Forces schools revolve mainly around the Mission the size of the Corps, budget and the fact that a limited number of Marines are needed in those skills.

I don't know where your going with that. The Army has it's Esprit de Corps. Pride in Unit etc.

Marines tend to be a bit more pronounced about theirs.

What I meant was that every branch has it's own Esprit de Corps, and why are the Marines the branch that is more vocal about thiers?

Because their Marines. But the Army Airborne, Army Infantry, Rangers are just as vocal about theirs and with good reason.

Also the Marine Boot Camp is 12 weeks isn't it, while ARMY infantry OSUT is 14 weeks. So how come the Marines consider themselves the best trained? Is the Marine Training harder?

If this is in anyway offensive, I apologize and am not asking in a spiteful way but in an uninformed way.

The marine corps bootcamp has a reputation for being more difficult and since the corps is a much smaller force than the army, the Marines can afford to be a bit more selective.

Recruit training is 12 weeks Plus 2 weeks at MCT for non infantry MOS's Infantry MOS's go straight to SOI.

I don't know if you can say ethier is harder or softer. It's pride in Service on both sides.

The Marines also answer our nation's call the most often. Their claim of "first in last out" is all too true. Considering their much greater chances of coming home in a body bag than any other branch of service, I can certainly allow them to voice their fame the loudest - even cheer them on as they do so. The high price a Marine pays to wear those globes and anchors is currency enough to me to hear any claims to fame. Knowledge firsthand of the cost to be paid led my father to forbid his sons from joining the Corps. He felt he had paid full measure in his years in the Pacific on Guadalcanal, Munda, Peleliu, and Iwo Jima during WWII and I will not debate his wisdom. So in short, the Marines pay the most so they can crow the most.

03 - is it still set up to where if you go to The Corps from another branch you have to go through boot and if you go to another branch from The Corps you have to go to an MOS school? This is a tough one to explain, Espirit De Corps comes close but not quite, cocky? Nope. Confidence? Nope. It is a combination of all these things, it is the way that we are trained. The traditions, the history, these things will help understand this question some but not fully. I am a Marine therefore I am The Best.

I am not tryin to start a war here between services, tryin to help this young fella out with some understandin.

And if you REALLY REALLY want to know you could always go through both services. i know a few ppl that have and after doing it they said that even then they couldn't explain the difference. No matter which branch you choose there will be the pride of belonging and the brotherhood that is inherent in sharing beliefs and lives with other men and women. There is HONOR in every branch so if you still don't understand then do both then you can come back and put it into words and maybe even then still come up short! ;)

Sooners1 said:
03 - is it still set up to where if you go to The Corps from another branch you have to go through boot and if you go to another branch from The Corps you have to go to an MOS school?

It sure is, MC is the only branch where boot "carries over."

Vitaly said:
Also the Marine Boot Camp is 12 weeks isn't it, while ARMY infantry OSUT is 14 weeks. So how come the Marines consider themselves the best trained? Is the Marine Training harder?

Marine Corps Recruit Training is 12 weeks in length, yes. After that, infantry Marines report to the School of Infantry, and spend another 7 weeks (and a few days) with the wonderful people at ITB learning to be Infantry Marines. This brings the total to 19 weeks of training for your average infantry Marine.

Army OSUT (One Station Unit Training) is 14 weeks for infantry. This combines both your basic training with your infantry MOS training.

Does your average infantry Marine comes out of the gate with more training? Yes. Does this mean that he will be a better, more productive infantryman than an Army 11B? No - that's up to the individual.

After serving in both the Army and the Marine Corps, I believe the latter has it right when it comes to recruiting and training. Unfortunately, because of the size and massive needs of the Army - it's not able to be as flippant (ie: prove to us you're worthy of even speaking to a recruiter) as the Corps. But don't misunderstand, the Army and her soldiers are full of "Espirit De Corps," however, you will mostly see this at the unit level.

Sooners1 said:
not tryin start a war here between services, tryin to help this young fella out with some understandin.

Yeah I was also trying to be Diplomatic. But I think all has now been explained by RndrSafe.

I agree. RndrSafe did it much better than I. I am not good with explainin and on the diplomatic side at all.

Good job RndrSafe.

I'm guessin here, but he will say he enjoyed them both about the same. RndrSafe is very smart and knows how to state things, but secretly he will know it was USMC. :lol: :lol:

Back